Space Wolf Character Conversion Opportunity

Pork Chop Express

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the forums, but I have been collecting Space Wolves for half my life now it seems. Well, at least since the Rogue Trader days...feeling older and older the more I type...:P In any case, I am more of a modeller than a player these days, it relaxes me and is very therapeutic.

So what's the point you ask? :P I recently got an Archaon on foot model with the intent of converting a new Ragnar or something. I especially liked the upper torso because of its fur cape and the "wolf" like skull on its chest. When I received it, I found out that the mini itself is on a slightly larger scale than other marines. Perhaps closer to the true scale marines I have seen around here or a terminator. Anyway, it doesn't seem fittting for Ragnar.

I was thinking mabye Wolf Guard Ranulf from 2nd edition or something like that. Any ideas???

Thank you in advance,

Esponjabob

First off, I'm jealous.

There, I admit it ;)

Next, I would suggest changing out the shield for a bolt pistol. Then again, I can't recall if he has a shield or not as it's almost 4am and I'm more than a little tired...

Definitely keep the sword, since that would be a fitting Frostblade if I ever did see one.

Ragnar is basically the "young" Wolf Lord, so I'm not sure a really big and beardy head would be good for him. The topknot head in the Space Wolf sprue isn't too bad if you ask me, and looks similar to the old Ragnar head without looking quite so hokey.

Welcome to the Fang, Brother. Take an ale and make yourself comfortable.

The upper torso is perfect for a Wolf Lord or for Ranulf. I had used him for my Wolf Lord, Krom Dragongaze.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/DarkBjoern/Space%20Wolves/Bild042.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/DarkBjoern/Space%20Wolves/Bild043.jpg

I've used the model as well, both versions, the Torso is perfect for Space Wolves.

I always equip the models in Terminator armor, due to the large size of the model.

You can see pics in my Gallery if your interested.

Thanks for the ideas everyone ;)

The_Betrayed_Spacewolf and Grey Mage

I do really like the idea for Ranulf. His old fluff stated that he always leads the wolf guard if chosen. Perhaps he could be fielded as a WGBL.

Dark Bjoern

I like how you incorporated the terminator bits. Did you have to grind out the original left arm (shield arm) to fit the lightning claw?

Brother SRM

The model does have a big shield, but I think it is too big of a mini for Ragnar. I do like your suggestion for the sword to be used as a Frostblade though. It would look great painted with an icy tone to it. Isn't a frostblade supposed to be a chain type weapon though? I suppose this is nitpicky if it looks good.

littlbitz

I recall your army from a back issue of WD; I admired it then as well. I really like the Sicarius conversion you made. I have this model as well and was debating whether or not to use it for a codex army (not Ultras) or just keep focusing on my faithful Space Wolves. It just seems like I keep making too many WG. They provide such good backdrops for conversions I think ;) You know how it is, you want to use all of the coolest models for your favorite army in any way that you possibly can. Would you mind explaining how you built up your paint scheme, i.e. base coat to highlights, or did I miss that somewhere already?

I have many WIP SW Terminators (among other things) going at once. I'm sure you all can relate...I will keep you posted to any progress.

Thanks!!!

You can never have too many Wolfguard Espon!

For my paint scheme I start with a black undercoat. I use Shadow Grey for my base coat on the armor, then I use a 2:1 mix Shadow Grey to Space Wolf grey for my first highlight. Second is a 50/50 mix, the third is a 1 part Space Wolf grey to 2 parts shadow grey, then a final highlight of Space Wolf grey on the extreme edges.

On character models I do an additional highlight on some of the edges with pure skull white.

Hope that helps.

here's a picture of mine,it used to be a runepirest but now with the problems off stormcaller i'm thinking about using him as a wolf lord

here's his previous incarnation:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/SL270594.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/SL270606.jpg

and the current:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/SL271718.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/SL271719.jpg

i'm pretty proud on his storm shield

littlbitz

Thanks for divulging your method. I am in the military and am picking up the brush again after a long hiatus; I've been modeling mainly. Was this very time consuming? What would you say is the average time spent per model?

hendrik

I like your second incarnation better. I think the helmetless head fits better and I like the skulls on the shield ;) Is that another blade on the bottom of the shield?

Dark Bjoern

Thanks for the reply! I recently bought a dremel tool and don't know how I lived without it before.

The modeling thus far has been very therapeutic and I would like to begin sharing project ideas for wolves with all those interested since I don't have anyone here local to bounce ideas off of. Although I like this Archaon thread, would anyone here be interested in discussing more than Archaon conversions (i.e. infinite Wolf Guard conversions) on another thread? Perhaps a WG WIP thread like some of the Stern Guard threads I have seen?

Is there already a WIP thread devoted to wolves? The only thread I noticed is for posting pics only.

jup, that's another blade on the bottom of the shield, it allows him to do some nasty moves :)

about the wip

there's a wip section on this side and i assume you could post it here also,maybe ask max or littlbitz but i'm pretty sure they'll allow it:)

With my Space Wolves, I usually spend in the area of 4-5 hours of paint time per model. If you add in converting time, I guess its up to about 7 hours a model in total, depending on how much Green stuff I'm using.

There is a WIP forum in the Painting, Converting section of these boards, but I don't have a problem with you posting any WIPs here that are Space Wolf specific, especially if you are looking for other Wolf Lord's points of view.

• 1 month later...

Hello Brothers, been a while since I updated this post. I finally began working on my Archaon conversion. I decided to make him Ranulf armed with his standard storm bolter and power fist. I was about to grind out Archon’s shield arm when I had an idea I wanted to bounce off of the Brothers of the Fang. This older storm shield fits perfectly on the arm. I know he can't have three weapons, i.e PF, SB and SS, but it looked kind of cool. These are just blue tacked on, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on the look. Is it too busy? I still need to GS the PF and what not.

gallery_38360_3076_1223307.jpg

gallery_38360_3076_692681.jpg

Archived