Dark Angels 4th Company

Master Toddius

This is the completed Tactical Squad Malachi which happens to be 1 of 2 squads as part of my soon too be new 1750pt battle company. The Wip is here. I'm a fan of old school 'eavy metal style paint jobs. Not that I don't like the modern "weathered" look, its just that for this particular army I wanted to have a retro feel to it.

++EDIT:

I reshot them in better light.

gallery_317_2889_17726.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_44635.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_3664.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_54162.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_17110.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_2875.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_41111.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_2508.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_22499.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_33528.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_54413.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_44324.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_22616.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_34365.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_28204.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_10588.jpg

Thanks to everyones help in the wip forum and DA forum. Much Appreciated. ;)

Comments and Critique is welcomed.

Anytime I see the name 'Master Toddius' in the PC&A I make it a point to look in, and as usual, it's been well worth my time, lovely work Toddius, lovely. The highlighting and the darklining are both neatly executed and the insignia are beautifully drawn as usual too.

The reds and greens are sweet but is the bone/ivory colour as yellow in real life as it is in some of those photos? The background also seems a little yellow so I thought it might be a white balance issue on the pics? If they're not a little lighter I think you should try a less yellow/slightly brighter version of that bone, I think it'd suit the green more.

The other suggestion I'd have is to perhaps not mount the raised bases on normal bases, if you know what I mean. A few of the 'double story' ones look really quite high, too high, once they're on a base.

SCC:

You're right on the white being yellowed out. I'll have to reshoot during the daylight, which will be in a few hours... lol. I had to move because of the economy and I don't have my old pic lighting setup. You're correct; the yellow isn't so dominant in reality. Good call on that.

The bases are supposed to be individual vignettes. So to make them have an enviroment that is part of the same area, but different ideas of it, I tried to pull the viewer in by playing with elevations. Some of these have 4 varying elevations. It was a difficult task to make them come alive as staircases and so on but what I arrived at is honestly the best I could come up with. I think I'm happy with it, though a bit chaotic - the flavor is where it should e, IMHO. Smart Critique though, I really appreciate it. :P Thanks for the compliments also.

Thanks Gil Galed and DOdge. :)

Patchoro:

Thankyou sir, thats the best anyone can hope for. :whoops:

Kairo:

Thanks bro.

Well as you can see I've reshot the Tac squad again. What a difference lighting can make. Thanks SCC for pushing me to redo this. :jaw:

BTW SCC: Those epic scale Brazen Claws are insane. You're a nut to try and put that much detail into an epic scale model. I think I'd blow out my eyes if I tried something like that. :wallbash:

Bobby Wong did some smurfs at that scale that were really well done too.

http://miniature-art.tripod.com/home/id6.html

I salute anyone trying to do that much detail at such a small scale.

fantastic work! i'm also a huge fan of the 'eavy metal painting style of old, i mean NMM and such is undoubtedly very striking and takes alot of skill but i always think of it as ideal for the display cabinet and find paint jobs like your dark angels fit better on the gaming boards where they belong ;)

again a huge golf clap to you, i'm very impressed :D

It really is amazing what a better lighting can do for a photo isn't it? In natural light that bone colour is just about perfect and the red looks richer too, they really come together wonderfully in these photos Toddius ;)

I've been thinking about the bases too and I get where you're going and they work nicely individually and together. I think, on reflection however, that the problem I'm having isn't so much the height of them as the way the GW bases taper into the vignette bases, it makes them look a little odd to my eyes. It's not a huge issue, it's just a tiny little balance thing and really only on the guys with high bases with straight sides to them.

Again, excellent work, as Patchoro said, inspiring.

And thanks for the comments on the BC, it's actually kinda fun to paint at that scale. Those Bobby Wong Ultras are truly inspiring though, they look better than most of my 25mm stuff ;)

Archived