Descent on X Legion

iamnothere

Well what went right and what went wrong?

For a start I couldn't test out my Inq tactic as nothing DS'd. I thought about keeping off the Inq and relying on reserve rolls to keep him hidden but went for the bunker in the end. He got to turn 4 until giving up a KP.

The BC was unlucky to not take out the TS but the GKT were singularly useless in this game. I think they killed a single warrior. Its made me think are they worth it or should I not bother and take a third troops choice to go in the second Crusader? 200pts = 8 PAGK.

The sheer ammount of fire the Raiders took was impressive. I think I had one shooting phase without without being stunned. Every turn though both of them took loads of fire from my GK and did their job well.

Excellent game that went down to the wire.

It surprised me as well. It was sheer bad luck with the solo captain - he should have performed, I just rolled badly.

The squad of 3 GKT though I was reluctant to DS. They don't have enough bodies to survive by themselves so I elected to deploy them with Maxim. I thought that when he advanced towards me I'd have greater fire power in one place but when he manouvered at range I realised the mistake. Now they became useless and were too far away to affect combat etc.

If our teleport homers worked like everyone elses then i wouldn't hesitate to use them.

I'll try out this combo again but might switch back to a single squad or even drop the GKT all together. That way I could have a 3rd scoring unit.

On with the show and the first game of the New Year tomorrow night, lets hope it starts with a crescendo of Psycannon and Storm bolter fire!

I’ve arranged a game against a good player; he pretty much knows what’s in my list as he’s seen it played. So he does have time to tweak his list - whether he will or not remains to be seen.

Hopefully he’s bringing his Eldar which he hasn’t used for a few months so we should get a good game. It’s really good to fight a mixture of armies for a change, for a time it was just MEQ.

I’m going to use the exact list I want to take in the tourny to see how it works before play testing some of my other ideas out:

HQ

Brother Captain, psycannon. 91pts

Elites

3 GKT, 2 Psycannons. 208pts

Inquisitor, bolt pistol, 2 mystics. 33pts

Troops

Squad Maxim, J+9, targeter, frags, 2 psycannons. 327pts

Squad Pyre, J+4, targeter, frags, incinerator. 162pts

Squad Fury, J+4, targeter, frags, incinerator. 162pts

Heavy Support

Landraider Phobos, extra armour. 255pts

Landraider Crusader. 255pts

Landraider Crusader. 255pts

Comes in at 1748pts. I don’t fight Eldar all that often so have no idea what he may bring. Needless to say I’m expecting a few holo tanks and possibly some pathfinders. Any hints at taking down the pixies would be welcome.

Well the goal posts were moved for me today, I arrived with everything I needed to find my opponent had only brought 1500pts.

No problem I thought I'll drop the Godhammer and the Inquisitor, keep my new crusader in there and have a BC and a 4 GKT retinue.

We got 4 objectives in a spearhead deployment with terrain as follows:

Rocks/big gap/3 storey building/big gap

Big forest/tower on a big base/gap/long hill

10" building/gap/15" ruin/gap/10" forest

I won the roll off and opted to go first, setting up in the bottom right corner. I placed Maxim in the 10" forest and kept the GKT in reserve. I placed Fury in Crusader 1 just behind the tower in the centre' with Pyre in Crusader 2 off to its right just behind the long hill.

From about here on in it started to go wrong when he got out IG instead of Eldar and threw me a curve ball. To make matters worse, it had a full platoon of drop troops (55 IG) and I'd just dropped my Mystics!

His list:

Command squad - master vox, 3 Plasma.

2 ATSS - Las cannons

Troops:

Storm troops 1, 2 melta guns.

Storm troops 2, 2 melta guns.

Storm troops 3, 2 plasma guns.

Full Platoon with plasma in every squad.

2 Demolishers.

One nasty list to face, made a damn good game though. More tomorrow.

For his deployment he decided to be aggressive with his Demolishers, placing one behind the 3 storey building with Storm troopers 1, he also placed a ATSS on top of the building. He placed the second behind the big forest on my left supported by Storm troopers 3. He castled the rest of his force around the rocks in his table quater. The platoon would be dropping in at some point.

For doctrines he had - drop troops, grenadiers and close order drill; not sure what else though.

Turn 1 and I moved Crusader 1 12" forward but kept it on my side of the tower in the centre. Crusader 2 moved over the hill and fired at the ATSS in the building causing 1 casualty. Squad Maxims' 2 psycannons took out another and it was his turn.

In true new model style, my spanking new crusader died when the ATSS castled in the rocks opened up. Exploding, it didn't even leave any cover for Fury to hide in - they were taken down to just the incinerator by the demolisher behind the forest :huh:

The rest of his shooting bounced, I was especially pleased when the second demolisher scattered off into nothing as well.

I started turn 2 by hiding the lone incinerator behind a pillar under the tower (right on an objective). Squad Maxim finished off the ATSS squad in the 3 storey building. My remaining Crusader went right up to the demolisher behind the same building and multimelted it into scrap, killing 5 of the Storm troops behind it - result ;) An eye for an eye and all that!

Most of his second turn was uneventfull, some minor manouvering around the rocks and the forest. However his drop platoon pitched up :P

1 Squad dropped by the tower and lasgunned the lone incinerator to pieces whilst the rest dropped around squad Maxim. 14 Plasma and 76 lasgun shot later, Maxim had only lost 3 Knights! :lol:

Handily the GKT turned up and I decided to take on the drop platoon. So I placed them to the left of the long himm, no where near the demolisher or any las cannons. They proceeded to take 8 Guardsmen from one of the squads. With maxim I was undecided how to play it with so many targets. I knew if I shot then there would be nothing to assault left so I came out of cover and assaulted 2 squads on the far right. When the blades had stopped flying I'd won combat by 1 :mellow: So much for the GKs vaunted combat ability. This left one drop squad unharmed along with the command squad and the remaining 2 troopers that the GKT had shot at.

In the centre I decided to advance the Crusader back around the front of the building between the tower. I went for the demolisher with the multimelta but missed and used the hurricanes on Squad 3 in the forest. I disembarked Pyre and incinerated all of the droop squad bar 1 and assaulted into cover to finish him off - so far it's a pretty balanced. game.

Straight off he manouvered the demolisher to get a better angle at the GKT but shot at squad Pyre in cover by the tower. The remains of Storm troopers 1 ruined my day when they got 2 melta gun hits on the crusader, firstly immobilising it then wiping it out - bad day time :yes: . Storm trooper squad 3 moved up and finished this squad off with lots of plasma and a bit of hellgun fire. All the unengaged drop troops took out 4 GKT leaving just the BC <_< . In combat Maxim lost another 1, causing one of the IG squads to flee 8".

Onto turn 4 and I knew I had to pull somthing out of the bag. I was down to just a BC and Maxim. Well the BC took out 3 of the full 10 man IG squad before failing 1 of the 2 saves he had to make in CC - I'm annoyed with this guy as he's the one that lost against the tomb spider last week as well. Maxim finished off the second drop squad and consolidated towards the fleeing IG sqaud to prevent them regrouping.

It didn't work as all of the IG squads were in range and plasmad Maxim off the board in Turn 4. An ignomious end to a good game.

Well I got a good game that threw me a curve ball. I think not shooting and charging with Squad Maxim cost me dearly. I should have stayed in cover, shot a squad to pieces and then wethered the return fire. Instead I gat bogged down and didn't play to my strengths.

Also I should have finished off Storm Troopers 1 when they were down to 5 men, they cost me a Crusader and eventually a squad.

One of my biggest problems with my list is the GKT. Don't get me wrong they're a good unit but I'm not just not using them properly. I think I've come to the conclusion that they just don't have a place in this list.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this link from Warseer as well. I just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed reading your battle reports and urge you to continue writing them. I'm curious to see how the list does in the tournament.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, always good to have other peoples opinions.

I havn't playd in 2 weeks so its' been a bit quiet recently. My last game as against an Ultramarine player who gave up after he'ed had his 4th turn. I hadn't had my 4th turn yet so I only got 3 turns of playing :tu:

The thing is he still had a Predator Annialator with las cannon spons, and 2 other lascannons in play. He also had a whole load of other units too. Thing is though hes' had a bad run of games recently with nothing going right for him no matter who he plays.

Still left a bad taste. Might be able to get in another game before the competition but work's mad at the moment. I have to have my final list in on the 1st of Feb so I'll post it here at the same time.

Mech heavy? Not recently and certainly not with my current set up.

The last mech list I played was an ork list with 3 trucks and a battle wagon - draw.

I'm not too worried about mech though, the machine spirit allows me to split fire so all 3 of my vehicles can target appropriatly. It's amazing how often that MM on the crusader wastes things.

Archived