Wolf Lord's Rhino

Wolf89

Well with my 1750 mech list reaching it's final draft, I've began my painting and re-painting of mini's to start working towards future RTT's and other events. First thing I tackled from my list today was the Rhino that my wolf lord will be riding in with a GH unit. I started about an hour ago with a primed black rhino, I painted it almost entirely with Vallejo's neutral grey (planning on highlighting with whites and light grey like my lost company is already painted). I added in a few touches that I think some of you will appreciate. :whoops:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1977/dsc01021yi6.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7333/dsc01022bj0.jpg

This is the pack marking on each of the left shoulderpads of my lost company, just a red wolf head, simple and quick to do.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/265/dsc01023bu5.jpg

Here's what took me the longest amount of time (at least 30 minutes, I didn't keep track of each step). I just used a google image and painted it as best as I could... and before anyone asks, yes I used a compass for the moon, no way I can paint a circle like that.

I hope you guys like it, I'll add more pictures as I finish my other 2 rhinos. I'm mainly posting because I need ideas of what to do for the rune priest and wolf priest's rhinos. For the Rune Priest on the top hatch I was thinking about just a giant rune, but it seems plain and I'm open to ideas. For the Wolf priest, Probably just a wolf skull or something, again somewhat boring and was hoping you guys could give me ideas. :D

Nice imagery.. i like the use of the armor color as a background and the compass defintely helped out the freehand on the bay doors..

keep it up brother wolf89

Wulf

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments, but if you could input an idea of what to do for the rune priest and wolf priest that would be awesome. I've got 2 days off so I'm at home all bored so I decided this was the perfect time to get my transports done.

As for a landraider, well I've still got my crusader to paint up, not sure if I'm including it in this list yet or not... was planning it for my sallies instead... if I did though, I'd have too much "canvas" to paint on and it'd look to cluttered. :)

for the rune priest rhino, how about a platform or something like that where he could stand epic while riding towards the enemy, casting stormcaller?or how about painting an image of him on it?

Actually you gave me another idea that you didn't mention but wrote in your sentence... stormcaller... why not paint like a snowstorm (god how do I do that... :) ) but it sounds good and I'll have to look into that.

Very nice freehand Wolf89 - much neater than I can do!

To aid you in your task, I can supply a Vox-Pict of my Wolf Priests Razorback - it is black for the colour of a Chaplain and incorporates the yellow of his Wolf Guard Bodyguard.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii189/vassakov/DSCN0776.jpg

Very nice freehand Wolf89 - much neater than I can do!

To aid you in your task, I can supply a Vox-Pict of my Wolf Priests Razorback - it is black for the colour of a Chaplain and incorporates the yellow of his Wolf Guard Bodyguard.

I didn't even think about keeping one of the rhinos completely black... great idea vass, I'll have to do that for the wolf priest for sure, it'll also save time on painting. :devil:

@Vrox

I agree the GS'd runes will create a better effect, and I should do that, still trying to figure out what to paint for him, the storm thing is too hard I think, and I can't think of any way better than to just do the whole rhino in a storm thing... a giant rune on the top hatch it is!

You should paint your own Omar, it's a great feeling of satisfaction when you do your own. :)

If you're interested, we could do a little competition between the two of us?... have others vote on who's better? :D I wish we were close enough that we could duke it out with our lists and see who wins... :Elite:

Update on my rhinos, I primed the wolf priest's rhino and finished stripping the rune priest's rhino's paint so I might do some green stuff work tonight.

Well maybe some stylized lightning (that would incorporate the stormcaller thing)?

Also plenty of GS wolfy stuff to indicate his being more in touch with the mystical (i.e. wolf teeth and a rune piece like that on one of the SW chest pieces but maybe a bit bigger)?

My painting sucks, I fully admit. I just want to get them done.

As for an actual game, so far I am 1 and 0 with playing members of B&C in person. I whupped up on DC's Wolves about 4 years ago. I think the Bat Rep is still on here somewhere.

Well, for the runepriest, if you are going for a "storm" look, you could always make it look like it's covered in lightning bolts for a pretty subtle but kick butt effect. The way that I do for lightning for my power weapons, is to start out with an ultramarine blue for the general path of the lightning (i always try to have a start and finish for my lightning, with branches shooting off), then bring it up with an icy blue for the main bolt body, then finishing with fenrisian grey for the extreme highlight of the bolt. It give it a really cool looking blue lightning effect. I think that if you really were ambitious and had an open topped modeled rhino with some sort of a dias for the rune priest, lightning shooting off that, it would really stand out as a centerpiece.

Also, I am personally a fan of line highlighting up the edges of vehicles. It give it a more dynamic look, less flat. Great job on the freehand though ;)

Yea as I mentioned in my first post I will be using white and light greys to highlight the edges of my rhinos. ;)

As for the lightning, it sure is a lot easier than trying to paint some sort of snow storm. I'm tired, I'll get to painting and posting more pics tomorrow.

Wolf89

What about incorporating a painting of the Rune Priest's Chooser of the Slain along with some swirling typw wind/snow and lightning? This could fit on the top doors easily. The psyber raven could be the focal point with some lightning in the background along with some snow. I picture the snow moving in a diagonal direction as if being forced by the wind. This would be in the background as well and allow you to focus your talents on the raven itself ;)

Just an idea, what do you think?

Wolf89

What about incorporating a painting of the Rune Priest's Chooser of the Slain along with some swirling typw wind/snow and lightning? This could fit on the top doors easily. The psyber raven could be the focal point with some lightning in the background along with some snow. I picture the snow moving in a diagonal direction as if being forced by the wind. This would be in the background as well and allow you to focus your talents on the raven itself :D

Just an idea, what do you think?

This is perfect, I'll do this thank you very much Espon. After getting some meat and ale in my belly I will start painting.

As for the Wolf priest I guess it's just a wolf skull on the doors... not a bad thing, just couldn't come up with anything cooler. If I'm not lazy I'll post pics within a few hours, just some errands to run, cooking, cleaning, and the painting of course. ;)

I'm very much a stickler for personalised iconocraphy. That's why all my Vehicles have their pack iconography represented on them.

My Priests Razorback is done in Black, with the Yellow patches on the front flanks, as well as on one side door and bisecting the rear door. The Imperial Eagle (for the Chaplain aspect) appears on the front, sides and on door. Wolf markings, including WG icons appear on the front, both sides and the rear and finally my Priests personal iconography is respendent on the top covering of the Lascannons.

In a similar way, my Rune Priests Prometheous bears FW doors, which covers the Space Wolf iconography and Great Company icons well. The Storm Bolter cupula has the Yellow/Black of the Wolf Guard, the Heavy Bolters and Sensor array are White/Black for Long Fangs (who crew the "heavy" tanks in my company) and the personal iconography of the Rune Priest is displayed on the right flank, using FW brass etchings and some creative painting.

Just some ideas for you to play with.

Well here's a quick little update of how the rune priest's rhino is doing...

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3572/dsc01024fi3.jpg

I'm not really liking how the raven turned out, but I might just paint him all black, then do the highlights in grey... the body being the same color as the background doesn't look too good for me.

I like how the lightning and "snow effect" turned out though, I'll keep that for sure.

Well I did highlighting on the wolf priest's rhino, and the lord's rhino, as well as something I need to pass by you guys and see what you think.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2349/dsc01026wr6.jpg

I used some ink to define where the doors are, should I leave it this way? or keep it painted over as it was before. I somewhat like this way better, but I think the previous way made it look more appealing.

i like it, keep it this way

btw, how fast don't you paint=o?

Well it's the motivation part that's the hardest, my painting area is about 4 feet from 2 PC's, a laptop and about 3 feet from 2 guitars (one electric) and about 10 feet from a TV, about 30 feet from a fridge, oh and about 20 feet from my bed... so I get distracted a LOT... Once I'm painting, I usually swap back and forth from a PC to painting (especially when I'm painting a picture that I see online or something), so painting just one thing might take an hour or longer...

Most of the time if I sit down and just paint I'll finish what I set out to do in 3-4 hours. Most of the time this doesn't happen, as I start painting daemons, blood angels, necrons, tau, sallies, brets. you name it, I've even procrastinated to the extent that I RE-painted my entire BFG necron fleet and some Rackham figures that I haven't gamed with in over 3 years. ;)

Also, what to name each rhino? The only one I'm ready to paint the name on is the Lord's Rhino... also I need names for my 2 new vindi's and whirlwind I ordered.

Archived