Need info on DH and WH

Bradskey

Hi I am quite new to 40k and have not really been exposed to these armies as they are not shown much at my local GW.

so what are these armies about and what are their strengths and weaknesses.

Would really like tp know about these armies as I am currently still choosing an army.

Fluffwise check out the Librarium.

Playing style for DH is fairly mobile due to multiple units being able to Deep Strike and/or take transports. Grey Knights are very anti-infantry focussed and suffer from a lack of anti-tank, but also cannot take transport vehicles, relying on teleporting Deep Strike instead. GKs can also dish out some real pain in CC.

I'll wait for a WH expert to turn up for them.

Whichever one you choose I would recommend using inducted allies first, to get a feel for the army. Pure Inquisition armies, particularly Pure GK armies, are some of the hardest armies to play in 40k, but (to me) are so much more rewarding nonetheless.

I'm no expert with either, but one of the strengths both lists have is that they are VERY flexible. A DH or WH force can be: 1. Puritan Daemon Hunters (Grey Knights are part of this list)

2. Radical Daemon Hunters (no Grey Knights, but you get Daemonhosts instead.)

3. Pure Grey Knights

4. Pure Witch Hunters (no sisters)

5. Pure Sisters of Battle

6. Mixed Witchhunters and Sisters.

7. Mixed Witch and Daemonhunters.

8.Any of the above, aside from 3 or 5 with Inducted Imperial Gaurd allys (for numbers and the Leamun Russ) or Space Marine allys (Grey Knights and Sisters cannot be taken in that case though)

9. Imperial Gaurd with allys (you can use either or both codex's I think)

10. Space Marines with allys (unlike the Space Marines as allys route, you can take Grey Knights and Sisters as SM allys)

Thats all, I think.

Yes both armies are felxable as to they type of army you want to run them as, but do not expect either force tobe a powerhouse, both WH/DH codices are 3rd edition... yes THIRD edition. So we are a tad over priced for what we get. Of course that doesnj't stop them being really useful with the right tactics...

DH Tactics Clicky

WH Tactics Clicky

WH can excel in short ranged fire fights and assualts if you don't bottle out.

The ability of the Inquisition to Induct other Imperial forces means you can tailor any Ordo army to your playing style but if you want to run a pure WH army your hand will be forced into alot of running,rapid firing and close combat/hoping for the best.

And always remeber kids - Flamers Are Your Friends.

Hi I am quite new to 40k and have not really been exposed to these armies as they are not shown much at my local GW.

so what are these armies about and what are their strengths and weaknesses.

Would really like tp know about these armies as I am currently still choosing an army.

Welcome aboard! If I do say so myself, you've come to best place on the Internet for all things Inquisition and 40K. For new gamers -- not just new to the Inquisition but new to 40K as well -- we have pinned at the top of this forum Online resources for WH/DH Players. It includes links to articles of all stripes -- fluff, tacticas, modeling -- both on and off the Bolter and Chainsword. I recommend making that your first stop.

The briefest of skinnies on the two forces....

The Daemonhunters are tasked with protecting humanity from Chaos (including Daemons, of course!). The codex covers the units under the direct control of the Ordo Malleus (the arm of the Inquisition responsible for fighting Chaos) as well as the Ordo's Chamber Militant, the Grey Knights (the basest of which are as or even more powerful than the elite among the Space Marines). The most popular way to build an army using units just out of this codex is to focus -- sometimes exclusively -- on the Grey Knights units. Doing so gives you an elite army with low model count but very high capability, although your options for handling enemy armour are limited. It's an extremely challenging army to play with a steep learning curve, requiring finesse, patience, and a keen tactical acumen, but is exceedingly rewarding when mastered. It is totally unique, playing like no other army in the game. Combined with the exceptionally striking models in the range, the army has a (small but) very devoted following.

The Witch Hunters are tasked with protecting humanity from threats within the Imperium itself: heretics, rogue psykers, and the like. The codex covers the units under the direct control of the Ordo Hereticus (the arm of the Inquisition responsible for rooting out heresy; there are several more non-Chamber Militant units in the WH codex than in the DH codex) as well as the Ordo's Chamber Militant, the Sisters of Battle (religiously fanatical warrior women in power armour). The most popular way to build an army using units just out of this codex is to focus -- sometimes exclusively -- on the Sisters of Battle units. Such an army has a wide variety of very colorful units that like to get up close and personal with the enemy and shoot, fry, and/or melt them to death with intense bursts of close-range firepower. However, armed with Faith Points, the WH general has a tactical ace in the hole available that can be used to give the Sisters extra offensive or defensive power when and where desired, making the force extremely flexible. Managing and using Faith is a major part of being a successful WH general. As with the DH, the models are very impressive, especially when painted in force, and also like the DH, people who play the WH are relatively few in number but extremely devoted to it's unique qualities.

Both armies can be played standalone. They can also ally with each other, letting you take units from both armies in a single force. You can also build Space Marine or Imperial Guard armies and ally in units from either or both of the Inquisition armies. Playing Inquisition gives you more army list possibilities than can be described, so you should never tire of it.

A quick version of the Inquisition using real world or movie terms...

We are the CIA. We are the FBI. We are the secret agents of MI5. We are Darth Vader, Van Helsing, the monster hunters of movie history. We are the individuals with the ultimate authority to order anything in the Imperiums arsenal to complete our missions. We are the last line of defense against dangers that Mankind Is Not Meant To Know. We are the Men In Black.

With our own secret armies, dedicated Ordos Militant (The Grey Knights and the Sisters of Battle) we fight secret dangers unknown to most of the Imperium. Everyone understands that armies oppose armies.. the threat of the Eldar, the Tyrannid, the Tau, the Ork, the Necron.. these the Imperium understands. The secret threats, these are the realm of the Inquisition. And I dare say we're awesome at it ^_^

It's a more complicated army to play, because it's not simple Space Marines or Imperial Guard. But... I find it much more satisfying, and the looks on peoples faces when they try to figure out what on earth my troops do because they never see them is priceless :lol: Everyone knows what Space Marines and Guard bring... they have no bloody idea what I'm up to. And, I think our fluff is the best and the most fun.

As to our strengths: We have a horde of varied powerful individuals and agents at our disposal, including but not limited to Inquisitors, Grey Knights or Adeptus Sororitas characters, and Assassins. We have fanatical fearless troops well indoctrined in their goals that will not run lightly from any battle. We have awesome units and vehicle options not available to any other force. We have the best looking models in the range. We excel in cityfight, lots of terrain type situations with a great deal of close range strong firepower and decently mobile infantrymen. More than any other army I can think of, we are truly tailored to the tastes of the general in terms of what we can do, and what types of units we have at our disposal.

Our weaknesses: We have the most expensive usually all metal models in the range. Our codexes are a little more out of date and not prone to getting GW love and attention because we're not as common as other armies. Our armies, when used on their own without other allies, are a little short of long range firepower or anti-tank units. Our armies are mostly foot sloggers and not suited to open battlefield engagements, especially against large numbers of enemy armored units (i.e., tank companies). Our units are expensive pointswise and we are almost always outnumbered. Our units are very quirky and have lots of special rules and are almost never "simple."

Note: all of these weaknesses can be mitigated by clever use of allies, unit selection, and personal taste. I use a Land Raider transport for my Inquisitor Lady (lord) to help with anti-armor, and like to make use of Inducted Imperial Guardsmen to help with numbers, Sentinels, or eventually a Leman Russ (once I get off my butt and buy one).

All in all... I think we have the best armies out there ^_^

We are the FBI . . . We are the Men In Black

Thats the Adeptus Arbites. :P

Ok, I'll give you the FBI one, but Agent J and Agent K of MIB and MIB2 are so totally Inquisitors :D

Edit: as a sidenote, Inquisitorial Storm Troopers for Ordo Hereticus (Witch Hunters) forces can be given shotguns to represent the Adeptus Arbites... so they're ours too!

We are the dark grey area that manages through some inexplicable mean to counter and defeat the hidden foes and forces that plague humanity on such a covert level that you will never know about it. We fight for everything that is good and righteous about man-kind without you ever knowing. We are the Inquisition and the enemies of man are our foe.

Archived