How to build the new SW Codex in 3 easy weeks

Jonny Wolf

So,

I was thinking how GW could easily build the new SW Codex (and any and all codecies for that matter) in one month with little impact/cost on the company.

Hold an online competition on SW knowledge. The top 10% of most correct answerers go into a lottery pool.

7 winners are selected. Has to be odd number for voting purposes.

Week 1:

Those 7 winners are flown the Nottingham England and put up for one week to build the new codex - who here wouldn't LOVE to do that and to work for free??????

Week 2:

Play tested by Dark Angel, Thousand Son, Necron, Ork, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Nids - Ahh, hell, Squats too.

Week 3:

GW Staff refine codex based off of play testing.

Week 4:

Off to the publisher.

Thank you and good night!

Not quite that simple.... itd take more like three-four months. But assuming you had about a dozen play testers, two writers, two editors, and were NOT trying to do a new model line to go with it.... three maybe four months is what Id expect.

On the other hand if you wanted good models to go with it...... depends on how fast they run, how many modelers you have.... wether or not you can get out production models into normal molds in good time....

Yeah.... a decades a bit much, but then..... we still work. At this point BT look like they need the update as much as we do... and theyre not even half as old.

Who said anything about Models? ^_^

Having said that, I've done this kind of stuff. We're not reinventing the wheel here, we have a 5th Edition Rule Book and an original SW Codex.

90% of the fulff is there. The rules need tweaking and play tested....hell, how many guys in this forum have dang near wrote a rule book in the free time goofing off on the computer.

*raises hand* I know.... it can be done. Still Id rather stretch it over a few months to fully play test the thing and come up with any and all rules clarifications before it goes to press... it just makes sense. Saves alot of headaches. Heck, heres a revolutionairy idea: instead of just saying things in the rules for the book like how transports work, have a clarification section for how the rules work with the edition the book was written in. Then, when a new edition comes out all you have to do is update that one page, +/- a couple questions.

Not to mention new works of fiction, layout, and making it look pretty. Cause that never hurts.

Along those lines!!!! ARGGHHHH!!!

In the summary pages, why can't they put ALL THE STATS of a piece of equipment:

Example:

Land Speeder - Combat Speed is "X inches" and it can then shoot "X weapons"

Crusing Speed is "X inches" and in can then Shoot "X weapons"

Put it in the summary!!!!!!

Lol, because then when the next edition came otu people would be saying "but my codex says I can shoot five guns at 24"s!!!!one11!1"

Besides if it was a complete description it wouldnt be a summary lol... itd be an entry.

Dont offer to scan and sent GW products, Max_Dammit

I hear ya...I just hate thumbing through 3 books looking for an answer...

Me too, so I've started keeping a note sheet with where the rules I look up most are...

As in which codec/rulebook and which page + where on the page :-)

Archived