plasma and beards

spectre312

so, if figured i would try using some of the neat plasma pistol plasma rifle possibilities in a proxy game to see how they performed. now, it might just be my constant bad rolling.....but it seemed like for every 3 shots of plasma I had a dead wolf on my hands. two rifles rapid fired, and I had two saves to make, which of course, I failed one. and the pistols....they rolled a 1 every shot. Now, if a weapon like that explodes, you can't continue using it...so no I'm down a weapon. Plasma.....I hate you.

Does anyone use this effectively?

Thanks for reading my ramblings

Spectre

I like to mix in a few of these in my squads, especially a plasma gun in my GH who hold my home obj. for a little range.

By the way: the rule is called "gets Hot!" not "Blows up!" If your marine makes his save, he survives the venting gases and can use his gun next round after it has cooled down. I know what some of you may say "but he took a plasma hit." however the rule only says you take a wound, which you can then save, not you were shot by the gun at full force. I never thought that an overheating gun worked as well as one firing properly.

If you play with house rules; fine, but I feel that dying or at best not shooting your enemy that turn is punishment enough.

G

G.A.K ,

Was about to say the samething about the "hot" rule. Agreed on punishment enough of possible killing or wounding your self!

I killed off my own librarian that way once!! Plasma is a gamble, but they are effective in a squad. I take them regardless. I feel it fits the Wolf FLUFF of kill em and then chop em. They , inmo , have a disregard for safety, and prefer to just get the job done! So having lots of plasmas fits in to my idea of wolves. So I take them when I can :)

Now, if a weapon like that explodes, you can't continue using it...so no I'm down a weapon. Plasma.....I hate you.

Uhhhh, what? thats the first time i'v heard of this rule, no where in the rules does it say the gun is gone, only when you dont make your save is the gun gone, as far as i know

I've always felt that the gets hot rule should be tweeked to allow either: one save on model w/ plasma weapon, OR, two saves on the normal models around him (possibly one save and one no-save).

But thats in my dreams...

G

I've always felt that the gets hot rule should be tweeked to allow either: one save on model w/ plasma weapon, OR, two saves on the normal models around him (possibly one save and one no-save).

But thats in my dreams...

G

lol... ya borther "think fast"

oppps sorry sarge Jake and John didnt think fast enjough; gess we have to let the rune priest he picked wrong again. O btw I am fine the plasma gun just over heated again, gess I should let up on the triger once in a while.

Sorry... I dont have this issue. At most once a game Ill lose a marine to overheat. Especially with an armor save afterwords.... its a 1/18 chance that a given grey hunter will go boom.... at worst. I find its not even that often though really.

The ability to chew up and spit out terminators is worth it. The fact that I occaisionally lose a guy is just there to make the other player feel better.

In my tourney this weekend I played with a total of 7 plasma weapons and I got I think 4 overheats (in 3rds of games) and saved all of them. I had the reservation about plasma weapons but after this weekend I am convinced they are worth the points (well not ALOT of plasma weapons but at least some). I'm sure I was very lucky but unless you get alot of bad rolls then you are fine....the 3+ armor save we get works wonders AND if you save it then weapons doesn't go away (think of it as a flash of high heat from the weapon rather than a rupture of the weapon itself).

Yeah... its gets hot! not... explodes! Fantasy artillery goes boom.... this just burns like the fiery heat of a thousand sons as the containment field weakens slightly after 9 millenia of use.

See how theyre entirely different?

Archived