Drop Pods or Rhinos

Bradskey

I need to play more games to back up my opinions and theories with fact. With the new DP rules, why wouldnt you take them? At least 1-3. No reserve rolls on most of them.

Rhinos are deathtraps, at least they have been for me. I tend to move 12" up, unload, pop smoke, and hope it lasts the turn to provide mobile cover for my troops. The Rhino rush is dead, and with it the days of a full mech army. Better to have your troops run anymore, especially with all the debate over the actual COST of the Rhino. :D

Better to have your troops run anymore, especially with all the debate over the actual COST of the Rhino. :D

Pretty sure they still cost $30... no confusion there... :D

I agree that I usually rush them up, pop smoke, and hold my breath, but yea...

I need to play more games to back up my opinions and theories with fact. With the new DP rules, why wouldnt you take them? At least 1-3. No reserve rolls on most of them.

Rhinos are deathtraps, at least they have been for me. I tend to move 12" up, unload, pop smoke, and hope it lasts the turn to provide mobile cover for my troops. The Rhino rush is dead, and with it the days of a full mech army. Better to have your troops run anymore, especially with all the debate over the actual COST of the Rhino. :rolleyes:

I've had very good luck. I'll drop in a dread on Turn 1. That same turn I'll send 2-3 rhinos ahead and pop smoke (with troops inside). If a rhino dies, who cares? I've already moved as far as I need and I'll still charge on Turn 2. I'll miss a whole round of shooting and my dread will carve you up. I usually have one drop in and one foot slogging.

Typically, my opponent will focus on the dreads with his anti-tank stuff. The rhinos will take a shot or two, but they hold up pretty well thanks to the smoke. I think the mistake you're making, Lars, is unloading on Turn 1. Stay in the rhino and charge out in the next turn, before it moves. Disembark 2", move 6" and assault 6" Thats 14" charge range for those of you keeping score at home.

My last experience with Drop pods vs IG was something more than disappointed , the fact that you depend on rolling for their deploy can be fatal sometimes :angry: ,and when you have to face the Leman Russ Blast weapons who can easily wipe an entire squad is dangerous.So i use a mix mech/pod list.(usually podding Dreadnoughts)

My last experience with Drop pods vs IG was something more than disappointed , the fact that you depend on rolling for their deploy can be fatal sometimes <_< ,and when you have to face the Leman Russ Blast weapons who can easily wipe an entire squad is dangerous.So i use a mix mech/pod list.(usually podding Dreadnoughts)

Well you need to position yourself where you're not in LoS of those tanks, so 2 things happen, first is they either have to move to try to find you if they can, or the other option is to not drop pod right next to them...

I myself usually drop right next to them... not much AV12 can do against 2 meltaguns and 2 plasma pistols...

Archived