My AoBR Efforts

Akairenn

Heya all. I've been a heretical fan of 40K for well over a decade. That is, I played a few games back in college using borrowed armies - but mostly, I've stuck to the realm of computer games and consuming fluff off of the Internet like nobody's business. I've never actually owned an army, though. Mostly, I've lacked the time, money and patience to actually bother with the tabletop side of things. (I know, I know, summon the Inquisition.) Well, with the insane value that is AoBR, and the patience (and disposable income) that comes with age, I've decided it's time to remedy that. So here starts the saga of my new, yet-to-be-named, yet-to-be-symbol'd, yet-to-be-fluff'd DIY chapter. Which I just had to go with black, didn't I? Could be worse, I could've chosen yellow I guess. :P

I'd like to say this is my first attempt at painting, but I have half a tactical squad laying about somewhere, horribly painted to the point where they look, well, Nurgle-y. I'd find and take pictures of them, but I fear my camera's machine spirit would curl up into a ball and start sobbing. :P Anyhoo...

gallery_41245_2926_15414.jpg

My AoBR tactical squad. Did some very minor conversion - mostly replacing the sergeant's head (I'm a fan of helmets. Safety is paramount in the 41st millenia! :P) and scope removal.

gallery_41245_2926_99643.jpg

Close-up of the squad. Went with blue highlights on the armor. Grey just seemed kind of 'dirty' to me. Could just be my complete inability to paint thin, straight lines though. In retrospect, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with a really, really, really dark blue instead of black for the armor - would've made the highlights less odd, perhaps.

gallery_41245_2926_143334.jpg

Okay, this is a bad picture - the arm here doesn't look anywhere nearly as rusty in real life as it does here. But I am so thrilled at how it turned out. I was quite pleased with myself, continuously staring at the arm with a goofy grin on my face, going, "It's rust! It even looks like rust!"

I'm torn between the AoBR terminators or the dread next. I'm kind of thinking dread, because I have a strong dislike of bare-headed marines, so I'm going to need to scrounge up another terminator helmet. That and I really want an assault cannon. ^_^

Archived