Test Dark Angel

JetfireUK

Hi folks! It's been ages since I've posted as a lot of real life stuff has got in the way of my hobby - mostly me trying to learn to paint with acrylics and watercolours as I want to become a 'proper' artist. Anyway, I painted up this Dark Angel as I have a good few of the veteran sprues sitting around half painted as I got bored of doing robes. I thought that this figure would be a good test to see if my painting had improved when I first started painting Dark Angels when these figures were first released a year or so ago.

I'm fairly pleased with the figure - the blends of the green are starting to come together and the robes is fairly good. The one problem was trying to get the dust off the figure as it had been sitting and there are a few spots I missed.

Anyway, let me know what you think - it'll be helpful when I'm getting on with the others as a break from copying Jack Vettriano paintings!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL270666.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL270668.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL270669.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL270667.jpg

I would try much brighter, but much sharper highlints. The model is well painted, but the DA Green colour tends to hide alot of detail as its a very matte colour. I would mix some scorion green with DA green and make it brighter, as goblin green is a very calm looking green and coupled with DA green itll end up looking like a dark mint colour instead of bright green.

The model looks good :down: to add to its greatness you could do a light wash of badab black in all the creases and joins of the "armor" and "backpack" and as others said maybe bring the green highlights up one level(although it probably looks good enough in real life,camera's are tricky fickle things and can make a good model look average and an average model look great...go figure -_- )

.On the robes i would do a watered down wash of "gryphonne sepia",the robes dont need black on them :cuss the light brown wash in the folds will make it "pop" a little better.Be careful when you wash the robes,cause if you just slap it all over them you will need to redo the bone color to make it not look like dirty wet clothing... :to:

Overall a great model....only a few more things to make it fantastic!

Cheers Mithril

EDIT- forgot to mention,the stone grey angel top is perfectly done!!

Definitely nice enough for a squad.

Time to get anal.

there's an obvious mold line on the pfist, which is a focus of the model. The mold line on the backpack is easily ignorable though.

I like your highlights. Highlighting style is a matter of taste. Yours are more realistic looking than the super over highlighting crap that the 'Eavy Metal team does.

Your shading on your metals is just a tad too dark for my taste. They are starting to look like stone. Maybe that's your intention though. Personally, I'd lightly drybrush on some boltgun metal to highlight.

Some rocks near the edge of the base need some more drybrushing.

Face mask vent needs a black wash so that it looks as good as the round backback vents.

Your robe is better than I can do, yet it could use another colour between the base coat & shading colour you used. Meh. nevermind, that's probably only a problem because the pics are larger than life.

Definitely nice enough for a squad.

Time to get anal.

there's an obvious mold line on the pfist, which is a focus of the model. The mold line on the backpack is easily ignorable though.

I like your highlights. Highlighting style is a matter of taste. Yours are more realistic looking than the super over highlighting crap that the 'Eavy Metal team does.

Your shading on your metals is just a tad too dark for my taste. They are starting to look like stone. Maybe that's your intention though. Personally, I'd lightly drybrush on some boltgun metal to highlight.

Some rocks near the edge of the base need some more drybrushing.

Face mask vent needs a black wash so that it looks as good as the round backback vents.

Your robe is better than I can do, yet it could use another colour between the base coat & shading colour you used. Meh. nevermind, that's probably only a problem because the pics are larger than life.

Thanks for taking the time to post, these sort of comments are really helpful for me to progress as a painter. Cheers!

I note the point about the powerfist mould line - I didn't think that it was as obvious as it appears in the photos as I had attacked it with a craft knife. Still this is very useful for the future. Thankfully the ugly scar on the right elbow doesn't show - I've learnt to leave a little bit of the sprue on to avoid a deep cut.

I agree that highlighting is indeed a matter of taste. I'm trying to move away from the edge highlight approach as it's unrealistic and I prefer the layered/blended approach.

I see your view on the metallics, I'm just a fan of a darker earthier look to my metals. These were base coated Boltgun Metal, washed with Badab Black and Devlan Mud and edge highlighted with Mithril Silver.

I'll get on to the helmet vents and finish the eye lenses - they're flat looking.

Robes are a pain, especially on the 'running' frame. I used the basecoat, mid-tone and highlight approach. I'll see what my results are on my next figre.

Thanks again - this is really helpful and I appreciate it.

Archived