Disembarking bubble

a-nesuto

there's been a continuing argument between me and another player about the 2" disembarking bubble. he says that all disembarking models must stay within 2" of the access points. (all models in base contact of the apc and each other)

but on p67 the pic clearly shows the models dont have to be completely inside the 2" bubble.

Then obviously he's wrong, and just being stubborn. The book says, and has a picture showing, that it's not the way he argues.

the real problem is that he called his gw rep (hes the manager of the store) and the rep said the picture "was just for show" -_-

so either the gw rep doesnt understand the rules or he didnt understand the question..

Likely both.

But then GW store employees (non-managers typically) are typically never right. And worse, will give different nswers each time they're asked. They're paid to present and sell the product, not be *the* rules people. What the book says is what you go by.

the rule states the models must be within 2" of the access points, but it says nothing about the WHOLE base being within 2", just like any measurement, as long as it touches the base its within range.

That would be great fun to spring on a necron player when he tries to move a squad of 20 warriors through a monolith. Even though you only have to have some part of the base within the 2", it would still be fun to watch all the color drain from his face at the mere possibility you might be right.

Well tell your memory to take your order back, it screwed up your order. So now, instead of having a well done burger with bacon, you have cajun chicken with bacon. :P (Nope, memeory didn't serve right, this time ;) )

Even a sliver of the base can be within the 2" mark, and it still counts. (in the pic, note the missle launcher guy is just barely inside the zone, and the whole squad is counting as 'within' the 2" ) No half or more needed ;)

(this has always been one reason I have never been bothered by mounting my LR sponsons in the front ports. Even the older, small, bases had enough width to cover 2" from the ramp and either door. The new, larger ones.. it's laughable how much room they have left over to work with! ;) )

Common sense may be that the whole model has to be within the 2" disembarking bubble, and I believe that's how it was in previous editions. Not anymore though, and when you compare it to shooting and assault rules, does the complete enemy model has to be within 24" to be able to shoot at the unit with a baolgun? Does the whole enemy model has to be within 6" to be able to assault it?

You were able to deploy 2.99" from a transport in 4th edition too, so where he's getting crack-pot ideas to the contrary is just silly. It was probably the same in 3rd edition too, it's just that the pictures in that rulebook were not nearly as detailed.

That would be great fun to spring on a necron player when he tries to move a squad of 20 warriors through a monolith. Even though you only have to have some part of the base within the 2", it would still be fun to watch all the color drain from his face at the mere possibility you might be right.

True, the monolith portal is ridiculously small, but they could still use "emergency disembarkation" as described on P67 of the BRB if all models did not manage to at least touch the 2" radius. but a unit of that size would be a lot less useful that way.

To be honest, my friends and i played 3rd and 4th that you had to be totally within the 2 inch bubble. however, come 5th, we realised we were wrong.

as noted above, when measuring to shoot a target, you dont measure to see if the whole model is within range, just the tip can be enough.

If your friend argues more, get him to play so shooting, assaulting and squad coherency have to be "totally within" 2 inches, think he might get the plan then :rolleyes:

Archived