cyclone missles

flameseeker574

so when i decide to fire my frag missiles at a target, say a unit of orks. do I throw down two blast templates and roll individually like for a bunch of plasma cannons in a dev squad or does everything that goes under the one template get hit twice?

It is two shots, scatter for both , but you can place the blast markers in the same starting spot.

Why? It counts as two shots and you roll to scatter for both but why the same starting spot? Fair point that you have to target the same unit but where are you getting the same starting spot from? By the same argument I would say that the two bolter shots you rapid fired can only hit 1 model. I would say that you place the templates independantly on the target unit and then scatter but I havent looked up any rules clarification.

Not getting at you just wondering if this is another example of crazy 5th edition rules?

It is two shots, scatter for both , but you can place the blast markers in the same starting spot.

Why? It counts as two shots and you roll to scatter for both but why the same starting spot? Fair point that you have to target the same unit but where are you getting the same starting spot from? By the same argument I would say that the two bolter shots you rapid fired can only hit 1 model. I would say that you place the templates independantly on the target unit and then scatter but I havent looked up any rules clarification.

Not getting at you just wondering if this is another example of crazy 5th edition rules?

He said you can place the two markers in the same spot, not you must place them in the same spot. Remember, casualties don't have to come from under the marker, so there is usually a spot that gets the most hits and the best idea is to put both templates there.

Well, you are a Fist, and you're stubborn, so all is good brother. Me and flameseeker were wondering this as we were talking last night. The reason this came up is because in the old chaos codex the havoc launcher was the havy 2, blast which was if you rolled 2 hits, you would get 1 blast, at least that's how we played it. Thanks for the clarification all, I want cyclones now. haha.

also, another thing to remember about template weapons, as all casualties come off at the end, after all the shooting, it is possible to totally smash some units with multiple templates, especially if they are a few clustered and u roll a few low scatter/hits. 3 frag missles vs a deepstriked formation of 10 horror's caused 20 wounds (2 hits and a 1 inch scatter), wiped the squad out totally :rolleyes:

also, another thing to remember about template weapons, as all casualties come off at the end, after all the shooting, it is possible to totally smash some units with multiple templates, especially if they are a few clustered and u roll a few low scatter/hits. 3 frag missles vs a deepstriked formation of 10 horror's caused 20 wounds (2 hits and a 1 inch scatter), wiped the squad out totally :D

As long as we agree on the "casualties come off at the end" as meaning; "Casualties are removed as firing is finished by a given unit, not in the end of the entire Shooting Phase".

The chance to "smash some units with multible templates" decreases as casualties are removed between different enemy units firing. Of course this isn't a problem if one unit field a lot of template/blast weapons.

I retract any harshness intended or otherwise from my earlier statement.

Well, I'll APPLY some harshness... in the rulebook, it says to place the blast where the most models can be hit. You have NO choice. So, if the most models you can hit is 4, and it's only in one place, then you're going to place both blasts there. So, slow your roll.

Archived