Blood Claws & LandRaiders. . .

the akratic

I dont get many opportunities to actually play many games, so most of my time is spent in the hobby is spent painting. I do however, want to make sure that what i do spend time painting is going to be useful when i do find the time to play. . .

With that said, i was thinkin of putting something like 16 bloodclaws in a land raider crusader, with a mix of fists and powerwapons. Alternatively, it could be something like 11 bloodclaws with a fist and two power weapons, along with a WGPL and an HQ choice. Maybe some fenrisian wolves to fill the rest of the empty space. . .

It's hard to argue the effectiveness us a unit like this, but I start to wonder at what point it becomes TOO effective. . . Without the option to consolidate into combat like we could in 4th, isnt it a better idea to try to win combats on the enemies turn, not your own? Do you think that kitting out a unit like this in a landraider is overkill? It's hard to imagine a unit that an assualt form this unit wouldn't kill, and i wonder if maybe the points are better spend elsewhere.

What do you think?

i absolutely love mine, i tend to go with fourteen BC with a 2 PW and 1 PF led by a WGPL with either thunder hammer or a pair of Lightning claws, and an attached Rune priest with frost weapon and extra close combat weapon. both with Wolf Pelt/Necklace. i run my crusader right up the middle or down the flank, explode out and multi-charge everything. if i engage three squads i am assured to not wipe them, and even two is pushing it. the hurricane bolters are crap, but the assault cannon and multi-melta give me decent shooting options as i barrel across the field at max speed. the trick is landing in a space where there are enough clustered units to pull it off. though most games i am not hard pressed to fins a spot. also remember that if you have fists in your pack or a char with a hammer you can counter charge right into vehicles and smash the crap out of them too.

I actually got a Land Raider Crusader solely for this purpose. A 16 man unit of guys in power armor with chainswords, screaming down the middle of the field is going to draw a hell of a lot of fire. I've had games where out of two maxed out packs, only one got into assault, and it was severely weakened. If I'm getting a Crusader in exchange for that now-dead pack of Blood Claws, for almost the same cost, I've got plenty to be happy about.

Might they be too effective, as per your question? Possibly. It all depends what you're going against, whether it's a squad of Imperial Guardsmen or a squad of Plague Marines. Given the softening volley of fire before the squad disembarks, that assault will likely wipe out almost any infantry unit on the table. However, the squad is big and durable enough (Space Marines, after all!) so that it should survive just about anything save a battlecannon or demolisher.

No such thing as "overkill" for Blood Claws.

"Over kill...what is this you speak of?" Asked the young blood claw.

Let me put it this way:

There's no kill, like overkill

There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

But yeah, BCs + WGPL + LR = Delicious smell of victory... Or carnage B)

Even if your BCs don't kill the enemy squad outright, they'll get them next turn (Hopefully), and if you destroy them out right, in the next turn there's a decent chance your opponent will be slightly freaked and focus on them so much he's not concentrating on the rest of your army...

i altaully had no succes with this unit

it was the first time i was going to use it, beeing amazed by it's theoritical effectiveness

i get to deploy first,then my opponent, 8 little combat squads appear in front off me:blink:

since i had no choice but to move forward i move my force forward, in turn 2 i end up getting to charge 1 unit, kill it off completly without any casualties, then my opponent flametrowers me to hell with 5 normal flamers en 2 heavy flamers from his landspeeder, from there on the battle only became even worse for me...

Last time I used these guys was in the world wide war RTT thing for 40k radio. Only reason I used them (along with long fangs and a rune priest) was because they had an odd number of people so I had to fill in quick, and that's all I had on me at the time (was going to do some painting).

Granted the unit against the BA's didn't die and killed a lot, against BT's they killed an emperor's champ, a squad, and almost all of a terminator squad before dying, and against the ork player they took the center killing anything near until the 3 killa kans came in and my dice just did pitiful for me until my power fists were gone and it was a lost cause.

My key is usually don't try to kill everything first turn, but play into your favor being able to kill a lot, then kill them off/make them run at the second combat, so you don't get shot at and your free to charge another day... hard to accomplish, especially with this squad in a LRC, but against big enough opponents (orks) it's plausible.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I never even thought about charging multiple units! I'll definitely need to reread the 5th ed rules to see how that works.

I can't believe i never even considered that.

Thanks again!

I did that for the first time last week and it worked a treat :)

Well, mostly, I broke both units which I didn't expect, but out of 24 Necron warriors there was only 1 left standing :D

I can imagine this working best if you have an IC or really pimped out WGPL since BCs are less good at drawn out HTH fighting...

Thanks for all the replies so far. I never even thought about charging multiple units! I'll definitely need to reread the 5th ed rules to see how that works.

I can't believe i never even considered that.

Thanks again!

It's so much easier to do in 13th co. with 15 fenrisian wolf squads... 15 cavalry bases can tie up anyone in combat...

Archived