The Most Radical Astartes Chapter?

Shunch

I like radical inquisitors. A lot. Anyone who pays attention to my posts likely knows that this goes without saying. Ever since I first got my hands on the Daemonhunters Codex, I have always felt drawn to the radical aspects of the Inquisition. Reading the Eisenhorn trilogy for the first time some years ago just sent me over the edge, and I have been an incorruptible radical ever since.

For those of us not immediately familiar with the radical Daemonhunters list, it is rather weak. In fact, one can only really play pure Radical Inquisition if they are shooting for theme alone, or in a small/casual game. Because even I like winning now and then, I buff up my forces with allies, and to replace the Grey Knights I lost, I commonly use some allied Space Marines. Of course, this requires some work, as Space Marines are extremely devout, and many chapters are unlikely to support an openly radical Inquisitor. Up until now, I have always used marines of the Exorcist chapter, but I wonder if there's more. The Relictors are an obvious choice, but are there any others?

What Marine chapters are the most likely to team up with a radical?

The baddest of the good? I would probably put the soul-drinkers at the top of the list. They hate both the imperium and chaos. Next I would vote for the relictors... which believed in radical use of daemonic artifacts.

Course my favorite "stand out" chapter is the mortifactors... very strange that they come from the ultramarines as a successor chapter.

Yeah, I figured Relictors would be pretty high on the list.

Soul-Drinkers though...hmmm...I've never considered them. To be honest, I haven't read the books, so I'm not well versed on their outlooks. Would they ally with a radical Inquisitor if the two forces had a mutual goal?

Soul drinkers are considered Excommunicate Traitoris, for all intensive purposes a traitor legion even though they retain honor for the emperor and believe that the current Imperium defies everything that the emperor stood for. They also loath and destroy the powers of chaos.

I can only think of the Relictors.

With the very nice new Codex:SM, maybe the Community here could create its very own

house-made Radical Space Marine Chapter, complete with fluff and everything needed.

That would be really nice, come to think of it.

(and it could even be featured in the RP-Thread. A whole Chapter going pro-radical? That's a nice story to tell, isn't it?)

I would agree with Relictors for what you seem to be planning.

Flesh Tearers? Though part of thier fluff has them at odds with Sisters of Battle.

Marines Malevolent are ruthless and believe NOBODY is innocent. They would be quick to side with Puritan Inq.

A whole Chapter going pro-radical? That's a nice story to tell, isn't it?

not really because the grey knights bust down the doors at that point normally so it would be very short.

Now if it was about pro radicals that escaped purging then we're getting somewhere interesting in my opinion.

ripath Posted Today, 07:34 AM

not really because the grey knights bust down the doors at that point normally so it would be very short.

True, the Relictors were destroyed (ie the usual most dead, Fortress-Monastery destroyed but STILL some manage to get away) by the Grey Knights during the close of the 13th Black Crusade. Although this has now been immediately retconned by Ward into everyone's just suspicious of them.

If you say good story= good ending, true.

I tend to look at it from the good story= good read way.

Yes, the Grey Knights usually kick a lot of butt and with great style.

But some always get away, be it because they have the ships and can jump away

or happen to have psykers themselves skilled in divination, whatever.

There might also be radical Inquisitors tipping them off.

If whole Chapters and Grey Knights mobilize, I think someone gets wind of this.

In either case, the Soul Drinkers are around, the Relictors are around.

Reduced, yes, pawned surely, but they are still around.

In any case, what you say is true: The Inquisition doesn't tolerate and the Grey Knights have heavy boots they will kick you with.

Still, I say it will be a good read.

Archived