True-scale Marines and 40mm Bases

Chaos_Minds

Hello all,

I am currently working on a true scale pre-heresy death guard army. I plan on using this army in regular games at my local hobby store and I have something I need to clarify. Since terminator legs won't fit on 25mm bases, I have to use the 40mm ones that come with the box. Is it legal to have an entire army like this using normal marine rules? I.E. can I have a tactical squad with 40mm bases.

I would like to clear this up before I finish the army and discover its illegal to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please clarify this, i thought it was legal to mount any model on a base larger than what is provided, but you aren't allowed to mount it on something smaller.

pg 3 says "as mounting your models on different bases might affect the way they interact...make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this"

I only ask because it doesn't say anything about legality, but I've also never been to a pro-tourney.

Could someone please clarify this, i thought it was legal to mount any model on a base larger than what is provided, but you aren't allowed to mount it on something smaller.

pg 3 says "as mounting your models on different bases might affect the way they interact...make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this"

I only ask because it doesn't say anything about legality, but I've also never been to a pro-tourney.

Your statement was true in 4th edition. However, 5th edition requires your opponents permission to use any non-standard base.

most people don't have a problem with it unless they think you are trying to get an advantage.

Lets face it, bigger models are easier to draw LOS to, meaning its harder to deny LOS... not much of an advantage, plus the fact that they can fit less models in combat against those characters... once again not much of a bonus....

With those Benes in mins, I would not have a problem with someone making use of larger bases, that being said, I would point the aove out to them...

Larger (well taller) models actually make it a bit easier to shoot over intervening regular size units, (thereby ignoring intervening cover saves) while keeping part of their own body covered.

(There's some excellent drawings in http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=155485 by Steelmage99 )

Of course I don't know how often it will come up, but there are enough game advantages to having slightly taller models on bigger bases that I wouldn't count on being able to play tournies or non friendly pick up games.

I must ask, while not about true scale marines, this is a question about bases, so i thought i'd chuck it in here.

I got some old termies, metal ones, that come on the same bases as regular marines. these are the bases they were supplied with, do i have to rebase these to use them?

Archived