Rhino Firepower

djkest

So I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm pretty sure this would be effective, I've seen it in Games before...

Rhino + Havoc Launcher

CSM + Plasma Gun (inside)

So if you move up to 6" you can fire:

Pintle-Mounted TL Bolter, 24" range

Havoc Launcher, 48" Range (also twin linked)

Plasma Gun, 24" Range

At 12" you could rapid fire with both the bolter and the Plasma gun.

Squad can also be used to grab or hold objectives, or stay in the rhino and be protected and annoying. It might be enough to divert some attention from some of your other forces getting close.

Anyone use this tactic?

Also, I was wondering if a Chaos Sorcerer could ride around in a Rhino and Lash of Submission from the firing point? That would probably annoy the crap out of people.

I actually use a rhino with a combi-melta, and a squad inside with a melta and flamer, giving me plenty of options (like random tank hunting). Remember though, if your transport moves, the models inside count as moving, so only rapid fire is available, not 24" shooting.

From that line of thinking...why not a 2nd plasma gun in the rhino? That would be pretty sweet for taking on carnies...stay in the tank, take a couple wounds off of him, and maybe avoid being assaulted in his turn!

I believe that only 1 model can fire out of the firing point per turn. But still, it would be a decent amount of firepower for the points. Too bad plasma guns are 25 pts!

The Chaos FAQ decided that our rhino was indeed built as well as the loyalist one and has two fire ports.

Yes, but then you lose the benefit of 10 guys on the field, or 5 plague marines...

...Unless you raced said rhino to an objective and then just dumped fire out of it. A really brutal combo would be the following:

Havoc + 2 Combi-Bolters + heavy bolter + plasma gun for 6 shots and one twin-linked template. Not bad for a squad in a transport.

I believe that only 1 model can fire out of the firing point per turn. But still, it would be a decent amount of firepower for the points. Too bad plasma guns are 25 pts!

The Chaos FAQ decided that our rhino was indeed built as well as the loyalist one and has two fire ports.

Really? Where is this FAQ so I can use this rule when using my Rhino-bunker tactics?

Edit- Found it! Fear my elite rhino bunker! Lol

Actually rhino lash would not work well because every gun would be pointed at that rhino. it would die. Also if the rhino got wrecked you will lose a lot of options fro places to lash with. It simply is not durable enough. An antitank weapon could also pin the unit if it was chaos marines. Also the scarier your rhino is the more it will get shot. which is not good. I find when my rhinos get shot a lot of bad stuff happens. Actually when moving 6 inches the plasma gun only shoots 12". Doombolt out of a rhino might be more effective as it is not feared as much as lash.

Havoc + 2 Combi-Bolters + heavy bolter + plasma gun for 6 shots and one twin-linked template. Not bad for a squad in a transport.

Unfortunately, though our rhinos are built to handle two marines in the top hatch, they still can't have more than one weapon upgrade, so you'll get either the extra combi-bolter or the havoc launcher, but not both. Unless you give the aspiring champion a combi-bolter.

The problem is sometimes moving the rhino 12" forward is a lot more helpful. A havoc launcher is a waste of points in that case. It gets really good to get like 8 rapid firing bolters. The combibolter also becomes a lot better at close range. Also the rhinos can have icons in them so then bringing it down field is also useful. 6 shots is not good compared to 20 shots with two plasmas in the enemies face. This does not combine well with lesser deamons to devastate the enemy.

yep, if you're shooting with your rhinoes instead of moving troops with them you're wasting them. of course, once you've moved their passengers where they need to be you can shoot with them and it might help distract fire from the marines but it's really not a good idea to give more than rhinoes this setup as it will add up in points quickly.

If you're fighting hordes a rhino or two with havok launchers could really help though. It gives you an almost heavy bolter to add some weight of fire to your CSM's. You should look at rhinoes as weapon upgrades for your CSM's and shouldn't base your tactics around the rhinoes but use the rhinoes to help the squads inside achieve their goals.

And you definitely shouldn't spend more points on your rhinoes than you do on weapons upgrades for your squads.

I give my Rhinos the Havoc launcher, and it sits there and pelt fire after dropping the squad off to bugger my opponent.

Or I give it the second TL Bolter, so it zips forward after dropping off and shooting and tank shocking and exploding to be, still, an irritating difficult terrain.

Works either way. :)

Archived