Brilliant? or stupid?

Luigiman59

Now maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to be, that taking a Chaos Lord, mounted on a BloodCrusher, with duel lightning claws = some ridiculous punishment, and would look very awesome. Or, a single claw, and a combi-flamer for burny goodness. I know the rule is to make your lord as mobile as possible. But if i mounted him behind a rhino with Bersekers, that could probably work fairly well I think. Anyway i think it'd be so aesthetically pleasing, i pretty much have to do it. Let me know what ya'll think.

It would certainly look cool, but it would not be a very good choice from a game perspective. People stress mobility on their combat characters for a reason--because a combat character is only as worthwhile as it is fast. Speed really is that important.

Your Bloodcrusher-mounted Lord, even running, won't really keep up with Berserkers in Rhinos. He'll fall behind, and, more importantly, he'll spend more turns out of combat (i.e. doing nothing) than he might were you to equip him better (and thus do you less good than were he better equipped)--and that's not even going into the advantage that being fast gives you in being able to choose who and where you fight, letting you get to the right combats at the right time, and so forth.

Mounts of Khorne are bad. Sorry to break the bad news, but that's really just how it is.

Sadly, I can't see a good strategic / tactical reason to ever buy Mark of Khorne in the new codex. None of the khorne gear is much good, and buying MoK stops you from getting other stuff that IS good (psychic powers, decent demon weapons, better bonuses). It seems a lame duck option left in just for fluff.

note- Berserkers and Kharne are good, but you don't buy them the mark. Icons of Khorne are OK, but again, aren't a mark. Afaik, you can only buy the MoK for lords and princes- and those are the folks I'm saying don't benefit from it as much as from any other mark.

Sadly, I can't see a good strategic / tactical reason to ever buy Mark of Khorne in the new codex. None of the khorne gear is much good, and buying MoK stops you from getting other stuff that IS good (psychic powers, decent demon weapons, better bonuses).

I'd beg to differ. Mark of Khorne is always a good buy, +1 attack for any HtH based character is always going to be useful. Factor in the cheap cost and reliability and you have something to look at.

Warptime and other Psychic Powers are powerful, but they're also more expensive (all but Doombolt) and have the whole Psychic test to deal with. As Jeske points out, most armies are running some sort of anti-Psyker gear so there is the chance of the power not working, not to mention the whole idea of wounding yourself.

Daemon Weapons are powerful, some more than others, however even the best ones won't work for you 17% of the time (rounding). Mark of Khorne works 100%.

I'm not saying that Mark of Khorne > everything else, because thats not true. A Daemon Prince with Warptime vs a Khornish Daemon Prince is just more killy on average. However it is more expensive and can be jammed up by anti-Pysker gear.

We ran the numbers on a Undivided Daemon Weapon vs Warptime Sorcerer vs Khornish Twin Claws to see whats better for the price (all around 130 points). Basically they came out even with each other, at 3ish MEQ kills on the charge.

I like the Mark of Khorne on my Daemon Prince. It keeps him cheap and prevents him from being hosed by anti-psycher wargear. Nothing sucks quite so much as spending points on Psychic Powers and then facing off against Runes of Warding--which basically prevent you from using those powers.

The 140 point Daemon Prince with Wings and the Mark of Khorne is a great buy. He does what he does both reliably and well.

IsoK on squads are often worthwhile as well, though I tend to find them costing more than I have to spend.

That being said, the MoK on Lords is not great, unless you're just playing a regular 'ole guy with a power weapon or lightning claws and a bike or whatnot. Then paying 10 points for an extra attack is well worth it.

also worth mentioning you can make a lord that has lightning claws(yes a pair!), combi-weapon and either bolt pistol or plasma pistol, bloodcrusher and mark of khorne.....

could equally be seen as brilliant or stupid :)

That's just stupid enough to be brilliant!

i disagee with lords on foot being a waste of time, it really depends on the circumstances, me and my friends play 100 pts games on 3x4/4x4 tables alot. this is plenty fun if you get 3 or 4 of you together and have a mini tournament with a few beers etc. over the coarse of a night. in these types of games being on foot isn't as big a deal and it could be fun to try out a lord kitted out like you have above.......

having 6x str 5 power weapon attacks that reroll wounds would be interesting i think, but yeah in larger points games you really need wings and usually a daemon weapon( not the khorne one) :)

i disagee with lords on foot being a waste of time, it really depends on the circumstances, me and my friends play 100 pts games on 3x4/4x4 tables alot.

at 1k pts w40k is very very very unbalanced . there are armies that do [specially on small tables] wins turn 1 or 2 .

mulit player games arent even possible to do [without teams] as you run in to moments that clearlly make no sense [cant shot in to hth , when non of your troops are in it etc ].

as the lord goes . slow . big cost . khorn . all synonims of bad in 5th ed . not to added that its a huge model , thats impossible to hide and needs a foot slogging body guard or the lord gets poped very fast .

i disagee with lords on foot being a waste of time, it really depends on the circumstances, me and my friends play 100 pts games on 3x4/4x4 tables alot.

at 1k pts w40k is very very very unbalanced . there are armies that do [specially on small tables] wins turn 1 or 2 .

mulit player games arent even possible to do [without teams] as you run in to moments that clearlly make no sense [cant shot in to hth , when non of your troops are in it etc ].

as the lord goes . slow . big cost . khorn . all synonims of bad in 5th ed . not to added that its a huge model , thats impossible to hide and needs a foot slogging body guard or the lord gets poped very fast .

i disagree totally again with you jeske (sorry mate) in my gaming circle it works perfectly fine and everyone has fun in 1k games. don't get me wrong the optimal points value for a good game is 1750-2000 and we do play that more often than not, the game is clearly designed with that in mind. to totally dismiss any other way of playing is just wrong i'm afraid.

take a look around the boards and you'll see plenty of people writing army lists for 1k points( sometimes even less although i wouldn't go there myself).

edit: i didn't mention multi-player games at all btw, i brought up small one night tournaments where the idea is too have games finishing quickly and everyone plays each other once, have you ever tried this?

1000 points is good if you are low on time. It can work for friendly games. However it can get broken if there are bad power gamers that take things like land raiders in this few points. I think the mounts are not really good however I prefer wings. The Juggernaut does not help as he needs to get into combat to do anything.

• 1 month later...

A Chaos Lord w/wings, MoK, Daemon Weapon...

An Evil B****** with the possibility of 17 Attacks and can assault anyone in an 18" radius. Or, take away the wings, get a Land Raider and mash it full with Berserkers.

Blammo! A fun-sized bundle of Khorne!

Archived