New IA update deathstorm pods

Stanley Tweedle

I would say the forgeworld rules are not clear on this. The deathstorm pod has "launchers" or "assault cannons", and after the initial all out attack the deathstorm pod is allowed to fire "a single weapon" each turn. So that does look like he has multiple weapons, firing all of them initially and then continuing to fire a single one of them each turn. Perhaps it is supposed to be one "weapon system" that is completely destroyed by one "weapon destroyed" result, but the description is ambiguous.

The drop-pod itself has five guns. However, after its first turn it can fire only "a single weapon". In case of a weapon destroyed result, is it considered to have five weapons or only one?

I would say it only has 1 weapon, but is modled with 5 to give 360 degree LOS to anything it wants to shoot, but a weapon destroyed result destroys all the weapons (perhaps we can assume it hits the targeters or simply blows the ammo sky high), I mean looking at the model it doesn't look durable to return fire with everything exposed, so the slightest damage could easily cripple it

I would say the forgeworld rules are not clear on this. The deathstorm pod has "launchers" or "assault cannons", and after the initial all out attack the deathstorm pod is allowed to fire "a single weapon" each turn. So that does look like he has multiple weapons, firing all of them initially and then continuing to fire a single one of them each turn. Perhaps it is supposed to be one "weapon system" that is completely destroyed by one "weapon destroyed" result, but the description is ambiguous.

that'd sort of be like saying hurricane bolters can survive 6 weapon destroyed results. I'd go with one weapon system unfortunately

~O

Only the profile listed in the IA update. As it's not a unit from Codex: Space Marines, it gets none of the options unless noted. I would always recommend whirlwinds, to be honest. It's a great way to get cheap and disposable ordnance blasts. And if it lands well (by 3 units), it can fire off 3-9 whirlwind shots in a single turn. Super easy horde thinner. Kinda like paint thinner, but exploded enemy flesh is so much better...right...heh. If facing marines and the like though, assault cannons can punch through power armor and light vehicle armor, given enough shots.

The Whirlwind version wins hands down. The AC variant might kill a tank, but it will score far fewer hits on any given infantry target unit.

And don't forget, fluff notwithstanding, that the pod MAY NOT fire the turn it lands. And that gives your opponent a chance to get out of the way or kill it if he can. They've told me that's why it's so cheap. Though it does increase the amount of thought and care you use to place the pod on landing. Do you put it where you think he wants to be or where he is? Could it drift in a really horrible way and what will that do to your plan? :huh:

I'd say that the whirly pod wins, hands down. Both have the same chance to 'hit' perse (is that right?), but the whirlwind can't really 'not hit' somewhere. The chances are good that it will hit something. And it will stack so many wounds on something, that will be almost impossible not to cause quite a few casualties.

Against nids, guard, eldar... anyone with lots of T3 and 4+ saves, this is almost broken.

Brother_Dan'l, have you read the "Automated Weapons" rule on the deathstorm drop pod. It says that you fire the weapons D3 times at each unit within 12 inches "after landing".

I know, it's just that it makes dramatically more sense for it to follow the standard vehicle rules on movement and shooting. After all the turn after it lands is still "after landing". Under the fires on touchdown interpretation the damnable thing is horribly underpriced.

The first time I used the pod I basically gutted a Tau army on the first turn of the game. Hundreds of points worth of Firewarriors and Kroot slaughtered by a 75 point toy. That just doesn't work. If it were 175 points? Sure. But 75? Forge World has never given us anything that was so broken in terms of points before and I really doubt they've done it now.

What happens when someone fields two of them? Assume they've got another DP somewhere in the mix so that both Deathstorms land on turn 1. Suddenly every unit in your army is struck by 1d3 or even 2d3 S5 AP4 pie plates. What army? You've had no chance to do ANYTHING at all and half or more of your units are dead or crippled. "Wow, wasn't that fun? Let's play again some time!" :tu: While I might expect to see something like that in 2e 40K (Virus Outbreak anyone?) they've done nothing since that is that stupid. And Forge World is much less stupid than basic GW when it comes to this sort of thing.

So I may be "reading into it" that it doesn't negate the basic rules, but only because the alternative is so ridiculous.

Archived