WYSISYG - Counts as Storm Bolter?

ZeusLion

Brothers,

A (hopefully) easy question for your consideration:

I am currently modeling a squad of Grey Knight Terminators using the Rogue Trader-era OOP Terminators. I love these guys and their weapons, but as anyone who has seen one of their Nemesis force weapons up close can tell you, they're modeled with a single bolter built into them as opposed to the stormbolter called for in their current incarnation.

So, for tournament legal WYSIWYG purposes, which should I model this guys with: Their Nemesis Force Weapon with built in bolter plus an additional bolter (hand-held or wrist mounted, haven't decided yet) to be used together counting as a storm bolter?

OR

Model them with stormbolters, and just ignore the firearm built into their NFWs?

Thank you for your help brothers!

either way you prefer, or just as-is.

just as with marine's bolt pistol - the standard loadout is known and non-alterable except through upgrades. these must be shown to be WYSIWYG. the NFM has a gun, bolter, storm bolter, whatever, and it represents the wargear specified by the unit entry. there is no need to make the parts match the current "standard" model. just look at 1st ed. marines heavies for moor goofy weapon models...

I seem to recall that the bolt weapon on the original NFW was a quite small one. Was it a bolter, or just a bolt pistol?

Either way, these days, they come with a NFW and storm bolter as basic equipment - ie you can't NOT give it to them (unless they have an upgrade), so most people won't care. I'd use them as is, myself, but I already do with the couple I have. They are my brother captains.

RE: Chromedog - Yes, it is a small bolt weapon, but then again everything was smaller when these models came out so it's hard to say what they're supposed to be.

RE: nighthawks - Yeah, I've got a few 1st Gen heavy weapons...my favorite is the missile launcher.

You both make a good point, but I seem to recall somewhere (maybe in the tournament rules?) that while you can certainly use OOP minis in your army, they have to be converted to represent the current rules. I don't worry so much about the friendly pickup game as I'm fairly certain most players wouldn't have an issue, I just would hate to be docked points or prevented from using a model at a GW Tourny.

again - this is an issue for models showing wargear or weapons that is no longer legal or that is special equipment purchased as an option on the statline. if the model is obviously or at least specified to count as (and is a reasonable proxy) a grey knight or what have you, then the basic equipment as listed in the list entry is assumed and does not need to be modeled or reflective of the current model. if the old equipment grossly did not match i.e. they once had plasmaguns, then I could see a good argument for converting them. as is, there's no need to stress about it.

Archived