Daemon princes

eyescrossed

Well, they seem to die too quickly for how costly they are.

Yeah, that was sort of what i was going to say, i mean a nurgle on is only what T6? Which means that they can and your opponent most likley will gun them down in T 1 or 2. That is just what i think though i mean 250+ points for a DP is a little tooo much.

I wouldn't be that critical of them... although if you really put that much points in it, maybe a Greater Daemon would be better? Anyway, they really shouldn't die on turn 1 or 2... they have lots of Wounds, an Inv save (as well as the possibility of a normal one), and if they can fly, they don't have to in LOS to any enemy fire, just Deepstrike it behind a large building or hill or something like that.

Or drop the cost and use 2, at least it'll force the enemy to split his firepower. And they are very versatile. They also complement a Tzeentch army, for example, by giving it some CC might (or any army if gifted with BoC ;) ). A Khorne DP maybe isn't that worth it, but a Nurgle DP has proven itself in many armies already! They don't always need to fly, though, since their arrival by deepstrike combined with their Run move gives them a nice threat range even on foot.

250 is too much for a DP, a GD would be better every time. DPs have lots of options, but if you take them all they get stupidly expensive. Keep your DPs cheap by focusing on one mission for them. I run Tzeentch Princes purely for shooting with the MoT, Bolt, and Gaze. 160 points for a solid firing platform, T5 isn't the best buy a 4++ helps and I usually run Fateweaver with them so I get the re-rolls. ==My== Nurgle Prince has Noxious Touch, Cloud of Flies, and Daemonic Gaze for 145. T6 helps a lot with him and his job is to rack up the tally quickly in an Epidemius army. Iron Hide would be a welcome addition to both, but you won't always have the points. Wings I almost never take, since you're Deep Striking anyway you're close enough that can simply run or let your speedy units tie the enemy down for you.

I also occasionally run this little gem, a vanilla DP with Boon or Iron Hide. He's 110 points for a cheap MC that excels in combat and could potentially have a little surprise for you.

Keep your DPs cheap and focused and you will find you no longer waste points on them.

I dont have the Codex handy so I'll just give you a brief outline.

Daemon Prince w/

Iron Hide

Daemonic Flight

Mark of Nurgle

Noxious Touch

Breath of Chaos

That should be approx 280pts, and I field it every time with my Daemon army, it perfectly supports many different factions of the army and can even character hunt with his Wings and Noxious Touch. The MoN just ensures extra survivability, and Breath of Chaos is just a very nice weapon. This Daemon Prince has more than made it's points back whenever I use it; Nightbringer, Avatar, SM Chapter Masters, Necron Lords and Hive Tyrants, all have fallen before the might of this tooled up Daemon.

As others have said, for the price, a winged, tooled-up daemon prince is going to be inferior to a similarly-costed Greater Daemon.

The only way I'd spend that much on a Daemon Prince would be if I'm doing mono-nurlge, and want to get something fast to start up the tally. In that case, Iron Hide + Wings + Mark of Nurgle + Daemonic Gaze is a wrecking ball whose kills count for the Tally.

Mostly, I'd think a Mark, Iron Hide, and 1-2 gifts is sufficient. Otherwise you need to ask if, for the points, a Soul Grinder or Greater Daemon is a more effective choice for what you want.

Actually that's about 240 points Dark Armada, and breath isn't all that needed. As ==Me== said, keep them cheap, though not necessarily as cheap as he's saying, about 200 for a nurgle DP is about right. Moth important thing about princes is really you need to run 2-3 of them, one just dies too quick.

Well I did say that my Codex wasn't handy. :cuss

True that the Breath isnt needed, but it is a nice weapon. Nurgle DPs are by far the most effective at an all-round role.

As others have said, for the price, a winged, tooled-up daemon prince is going to be inferior to a similarly-costed Greater Daemon.

The only way I'd spend that much on a Daemon Prince would be if I'm doing mono-nurlge, and want to get something fast to start up the tally. In that case, Iron Hide + Wings + Mark of Nurgle + Daemonic Gaze is a wrecking ball whose kills count for the Tally.

Mostly, I'd think a Mark, Iron Hide, and 1-2 gifts is sufficient. Otherwise you need to ask if, for the points, a Soul Grinder or Greater Daemon is a more effective choice for what you want.

There is no doubt that the almighty Greater Daemons outmatch the inferior Daemon Princes for pure killing power, but Daemon Princes are those nice tough beatsticks that hold the line and kill as much as possible while the Greater's take out the juicier stuff.

Although I must say I do like your method of making a decent Daemon Prince (Highlighted)

Haha, don't worry, I had to check my codex to make sure anyway. Yeah, breath is nice, and a while back I was smitten with it, but after taking some time to think about it, I'm not sure it's worth 30 points, since you generally only get to use it once or twice. Overall though, Nurgle princes are probably the best, my order is 1) Nurgle, 2) Tzeentch, 3) Slaanesh, 4) Khorne.

Mine will be working in conjunction with a Bloodthirster, and I'm fighting fast Eldar a lot, so wings are a must. Mine has Daemonic Flight, Iron Hide, Mark of Nurgle, Unholy Might, Noxious Touch, and Cloud of Flies, for a total of 235 points. This guy makes a great wraithlord hunter.

Mine will be working in conjunction with a Bloodthirster, and I'm fighting fast Eldar a lot, so wings are a must. Mine has Daemonic Flight, Iron Hide, Mark of Nurgle, Unholy Might, Noxious Touch, and Cloud of Flies, for a total of 235 points. This guy makes a great wraithlord hunter.

Just to save on a few points, there is very little point in Unholy Might when you have Noxious Touch on your DP; unless you're against armoured vehicles. In the circumstances you give (Such as WL hunting), Unholy Might should not really be needed. ^_^

I think Nurgle wins for the ability to hit T6, 3+/5++. The T6 is the big factor; it renders you largely immune to small-arms fire. Bolters and the like want a 6+ to wound you, same with most everyone's foot troop in melee.

Also, Nurgle gets Noxious touch. We go from wounding foot troops on 3+ to wounding ANYTHING with 2+ and no armor saves.

I also agree with the sentiment of 'bring multiples'. That goes for anything sizeable, since the enemy then has to spread out their anti-big-thing guns, and our Daemon Princes are a bit allergic to plasma, melta, and equivalent weapons.

Still, I think Winged ones don't really have a place in the army unless it's pure nurgle (where you need the mobility) or you're intending to run massed MCs and try to bulldoze the other guy.

Largely it's the points. Mark of Nurgle + Noxious Touch + Iron Hide + Wings + Cloud of Flies = 215. Lose the wings and it's a slightly-more-reasonable 155.

I'd consider something like a Lord of Change (no upgrades), a Bloodthirster (w/ unholy might) and then such a Nurgle DP. Granted, that'd be a fairly monstrious ~700pt air force, but it could be some kind of sick.

Or, for a cheaper daemonzilla, go with KEepers of Secrets and the 155pt Nurgle DP. Horde control and massed T6 targets for the win...

But unholy might would let him reroll failed rolls to wound on things with T6 or lower because of poisoned attacks, such as carnifexes or hive tyrants.

This is true, and it would also help dealing with vehicles a bit...

But it's a 2+ to wound, flat. If you're buying it for the re-roll, I'd consider it largely a waste because you have to see some terrible dice luck to fail more than 1-2 wounds a game if you're in heavy combat with the thing.

I love my Nurgle DP. I run 2 in my 2000 point army, but I do run a Drmonzilla army . I tool my Dp's out mostly like the other posters, usually without the wings to keep the cost down. I feel I always get my points worth out of them and take them if at all possible. The way I look at it I rather my DP's be shot at than my more fragile scoring troops. I find Nurgle Dp's incredably durable and usually only loose one per game.

Archived