Illegal to write your own codex?

Tyron

Hi all,

I am currently in the final stages of finishing the last few codices for each of the Chaos Legions, however I have done them as an actual GW type codex where it will display the unit stats, options and points cost. I have used a combination of codices to create the Legion rules while mainly using the new Space Marine codex points for comparison and using the exact unit entries from the daemons codex for the 4 cults.

Before I put all 9 codices on my website I need to know if this is illegal if I'm breaking any copyright laws.

Many thanks!

Not as far as I know. I've seen plenty of Codex's on the internet written GW style (from Bell of Lost Souls to the Fighting Tigers and many more in between) and I've never heard of anyone being sued or even cautioned for it. GW seem pretty tolerent of fan made stuff. Make sure to leave us a link, I'd like to see your take on Iron Warriors.

As long as you aren't using GW's artwork, and try to make a profit off of it + keep your Codex in the same vein as the ones found in++Homegrown Rules++ I'd say you're fine.

Keep in mind that if you post it here and we get a note from GW legal saying that it violates IP, it will be fragged faster than you can say: 'veteran skills'. :D

Thanks for the replies all.

I have no intention of using GW art, at some point will be using fan made art :)

davidren2401 I will post a link here when the site is done, I think you will like the IW. With each Legion I have tried to make the army play the way they should but with enough choice to play how the person wants with many new options available to them ;)

Hopefully they will be tolerant of mine davidren2401, BOLS made a nice attempt with the HH rules, I'm going full out on 9 codices :P

Thanks again.

Archived