Grey Knights Vs MC heavy Chaos Daemons

Deadshane

The only effective way I can think of to deal with Mystics is to DS your tough MCs close, bite the free shooting bullet, and take out the Mystics with Gaze/Breath that turn before you DS your more fragile Troops in.

Sounds like a job for a GUO :) he can get Breath, he's hard to bring down with anything except lascannons (due to FNP and 5 x T6 wounds, psycannons will take ages to wear him down), and he'll tear up your PAGK pretty well (GKT's will still eat him though). Good unit for soaking up lascannons so the Princes+Bloodthirster can reach close-combat on half-wounds or something similiar.

But yeah, if not GUO, then Skarbrand or a Nurgle Prince, because Flamers (the Tzeentchian Elite Daemon and the usual choice for 'torch infantry to death') will just die horribly.

Actually Psycannons do fairly well vs a greater unclean one, and it requires some luck to DS in close enough to use breath of chaos. Not to mention most of the time the mystics are inside transports, and 3 double mystics in land raiders will chew up just about anything on the drop.

- Charred Heretic, you've made a number of common mistakes I feel the need to correct;

Most esteemed Reclusiarch Darius,

As a loyal member of the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Malleus I must vehemetly protest your accusations of heresy :tu:

But seriously - you bring up some great points. However, I still disagree on some things. My comments were designed to be general, but were even more applicable when you consider what he faced. I probably should have clarified more based on the specific type of chaos faced.

Here is what he went up against:

• Scarbrand

• Bloodthirster

• 3 Nurgle DPs

• 3 Bearers (7)

• 2 Letters (8)

• No Slanesh

- Psychic hood is totally useless, because there are no Daemon psykers, they just have 'Gifts'. Secondly, auspex is totally pointless, because there are no Daemonic Infiltrators, the whole army arrives via Deepstrike. Thirdly, why are you bringing Scourging when you already have a psycannon? You can't use both in the same turn, and psycannon > scourging.

Copy that - hood and auspex are part of my standard “all comers” loadout, and really don't apply here. Scourging was not what I meant to say, you are correct: it was Sanctuary. I would still give the =][= a Psycannon AND Sanctuary. If assaulted, or if about to be assaulted he can push the Daemons back and still let his servitors pummel them with holy fire.

What I am really interested in finding out is if you think the points cost (~200) for this unit is justified for the free shots.

- …Slanneshi units (Aura) and Nurgle units (Cloud) can override the I1 penalty, because they count as having frag grenades. So, Daemonettes etc can still kill your Knights before they can swing, and the Nurgle Princes (the only Nurgle-marked unit worth assaulting your Knights with) will likewise hit ahead of PAGK and GKT's. The only unit you have that can swing ahead of such units is the Grandmaster (so long as you brought Sacred Incense).

Slaneshi: I get what you are saying…they are certainly the white elephant to my notes on charging…so shoot the crap out of them: (S3/T3)

But alas: Brother Captain Deadshane was not facing Slaneshi. There was Khorne – which you want to charge you (only I2 even with furious charge)…and Nurgle. Cloud applies to the DPs, but when you are looking at the bearers, their initiative is 2 – eek. Let’ em charge, or charge them.

- Psycannon bolts is unfortunately only for storm bolters and heavy bolters; it is not allowed for the Hurricanes.

Excellent point – I hadn’t noticed the difference between the infantry and vehicle wargear.

- With Sanctuary, they can't ever reach you, because the Landraider+3" outside the hull counts as impassable terrain.

This is really good too. Drop some troops, take 2 GK HQ with termie retinues, throw a couple of =][= with a mystic in their LR transport with Sanctuary and Psycannon bolts (as suggested by iamnothere). Park the LRs, never move them and just take potshots with all weapons at the Daemon HQs in what amounts to an untouchable bunker – GOOD STUFF.

- Daemonhammer on BC is a waste, because with his I4 Nurgle Princes and Slanneshi units will still hit ahead of you.

True: won’t help on the DPs, but again no Slanesh and there are a whole bunch of troops that it can wail on…

-If you want another 'tank' assault unit, take Stern+TH+SS retinue.

The Stern idea rocks – that’s another thing I hadn’t considered. And I see your point on taking all TH/SS on the retinues. With the high I MCs it is a moot point that they strike at I1 unless the MC joins a unit. But especially with the nurgle DPs, the unit they join totally nerfs their mobility with the Slow and Purposeful… However, just like the Daemonhammer: if you go up against any troops in the army, the TH/SS strike last vs. Standard S6/I4 GKTs.

I would be interested to hear from Deadshane what gifts were actually taken by his opponent…my computer with AB crashed, so I can’t quickly calculate how many points he had left to spend on gifts for the MCs.

The bloodthirster OBVIOUSLY had blessing of the blood god.

The Nurgle Princes....lemme go get my stolen intelligence (daemon codex)...

This is fairly close:

Flight

Iron Hide

Unholy Might

Mark Nurgle

cloud

Noxious

aura

....I dont think they featured any shooting gifts.

Skarbrand

Bloodthirster w/ Blessing and Unholy Might

3x Nurgle DP with Flight, Iron Hide, MoN, Cloud of Flies, Noxious Touch (no aura)

2x 10 Bloodletters

2x 7 Plaguebearers

1x 6 Plaguebearers

This was the list played. I forgot where the last 10 points went in. I'll check the list when I get back home today and let you know.

Nice battle report, seems you're beginning to get things under control.

One thing I noticed though, he can't simply choose to allocate his attacks to your brother captains, since the terminators they're with count as a retinue, meaning that he's an upgrade character until his squad is destroyed

I'm glad to see you didn't resort to blatant list tailoring, ie you didn't resort to taking sanctuary. Since it only works against the daemon types specified in the codex, it's so blatantly list tailoring which takes a lot of the air out of any potential victory. Sacred incense works against ALL chaos daemons and ALL chaos marines, so is not. Psycannon bolts simply ignore invuls, so are also not.

I think I'll jump on the mystics bandwagon here too. 2+ mean a free LR shooting at each daemon prince if it deepstrikes within mystic range, and since it counts as *stationary it gets to fire all of its guns no matter how far you moved it last turn. With the number of deepstriking armies you see these days, I'm even tempted to squeeze one into my space marine army :)

* edit for clarity

Taking Mystics works against every list out there so isn't tailoring. It's also one of our codeis' "hidden gems" especially as we tend to be out numbered and out gunned. I fully intend to run a pair and an Inquisitor in my next list to see how it actually works.

I think that was the HQ BC attached to the Elite BC and his Squad. ;)

and 3 double mystics in land raiders will chew up just about anything on the drop

Of course. But then I'd veiw this (with Santucary Inquisitors) as the GK equivalent of the 3 DP of Nurgle lists versus Dameons, and think of it as a near automatic win.

And I'd rather not play against it.

Archived