Exorcist Questions

a-nesuto

1. when firing the Exorcist missile where do you check line of sight from? the top of the organ.

1) The core rule book says to trace line of sight from the weapon's mounting and barrel, but thats a little hard to do considering the exorcists's weapom is pointed vertically. I normally draw line of sight from the center of the " pit " where the loader servitor sits.

2. what is Exorcists arc of sight? Hull mounted?

2) According to the current WH FAQ the exorcist's main weapon counts as a " Turret Mounted " weapon, in otherwords a 360 degree arc.

Can't stand using the organ Exorcist, nothing against those that do but make yourself a proper turret missle launcher and you'll have no problems and gain at least an inch to your target. As the rule reads, you will be measuring from the top of one of your tubes...

As the rule reads, you will be measuring from the top of one of your tubes...

... and you would only be able to draw line of sight to your ceiling, you need to use a lil bit of common sense aswell :).

Ive never really had problems with LoS and my " pipe organ " exorcists, just draw a line from the center of where the weapon sits to your target, no need to over complicate things... By measuring from the top of the organ, one could argue that you were adding extra height to your shot =P... Just a thought.

And if you're really all that concerned by that " extra inch ", no one is stopping you from using a sister'd out Whirlwind to represent your Exorcist... :nuke:

GW Exorcist looks massively better than FW one in my opinion. It's one of the coolest and distinct looking vehicles in 40k.

I'd say you should measure range from top of the tubes. Missiles are going up and down on the target in a very high arch (it should probably be redone as a no-LOS weapon in the new =][= dex).

I can imagine an Exorcist that does not need los, and it will probably never happen as awesome as that would be. I usually measure los from the servitor. I can not recall an instance where measuring from the organ itself would have made a difference.

Agreed, it's a 360degree Turret tho the latest third version of the tank depicts it as a gothic pipe organ.

... and you would only be able to draw line of sight to your ceiling, you need to use a lil bit of common sense aswell .

Agreed, a little bit of common sense when it comes to the model and LOS. Several haul mounted weapons for example may be as difficult to measure... wait till the next batch of rules has you lining up your sisters and their bolters. :P

From my PDF file:

Warhammer 40,000 uses what we call ‘true line

of sight’ for shooting attacks. This means that you

take the positions of models and terrain at face

value, and simply look to see if your warriors have

a view to their targets.

It later mentions getting a "model's eye view", but that in cases where it is semi-questionable one should be generous to the shooter.

From my PDF file:

...It later mentions getting a "model's eye view", but that in cases where it is semi-questionable one should be generous to the shooter.

Meaning you draw line of sight from the model's eye level.. not their gun. Otherwise half your army would be pumping shots into the ground or 45 degree angles wildly into the air =P.

...it should probably be redone as a no-LOS weapon in the new =][= dex.

I'd have to disagree. I was very much an advocate of this exact theory priior to my conversion to using exorcists, however this has totally changed.

Remove the requirement for LoS from the exorcist and you're giving it indirect fire. This would turn it into the best vehicle in the game bar none in my opinion and for the points it would be significantly overpowered with absolutely no skill whatsoever to use. Just sit it behind a suitable piece of cover and blaze away.

As it is at the moment you do have to think about deployment and position throughout the game and take into account the potential vulnerability.

I have to say that as it is at the moment I like it and already consider it to be one of the best vehicles in the game straight out of the codex.

Otherwise half your army would be pumping shots into the ground or 45 degree angles wildly into the air =P.

THat's a horrendously illogical argument. It is line fo sight, not the direction the gun is pointing. Stop being silly. Since there is not always someone's eyes to look through on a tank, the most logical thing to use is the actual turret of the tank. For exorcists, aas far as we know that is the pipes. This does not mean it can only aima t the ceiling. That's a rediculous argument and has no basis in the rules, because it is a turret weapon.

Gaaah....I'm having to fight back the urge to rant and rave about how uterly stupid that argument is >.<

Otherwise half your army would be pumping shots into the ground or 45 degree angles wildly into the air =P.

THat's a horrendously illogical argument. It is line fo sight, not the direction the gun is pointing. Stop being silly. Since there is not always someone's eyes to look through on a tank, the most logical thing to use is the actual turret of the tank. For exorcists, aas far as we know that is the pipes. This does not mean it can only aima t the ceiling. That's a rediculous argument and has no basis in the rules, because it is a turret weapon.

Gaaah....I'm having to fight back the urge to rant and rave about how uterly stupid that argument is >.<

Lol You are really getting upset over nothin Melissia, and thats being silly :D... Not everything needs to be explained in a dull and monotonous manner =P.

The point I was trying to make was that you only needed to draw line of sight from the head of the mini to your target, the mini's facing is irrelavant ( not talking about vehicles here thats totally different ). In otherwords, whatever way the the lil girly's bolter is pointing is irrelevant...

About the exorcist, the rules say to draw line of sight along mounting and the weapon... And yes, I KNOW it is a turret weapon... The problem is that the mounting and the weapon point straight up and does not swivel, and to some people it may be unclear where to draw line of sight..

My point was that you need to assume that it is indeed a turret weapon and can turn and pivet in a 360 degree angle, and to me, line of sight should be drawn from the weapon's center point. Which in my opinion is the loader pit ... I might be right, I might be wrong it matters not to me I was just giving my input.

I hope that cleared things up for you.

LOS should be drawn from the end of the barrel. In kinetic weapons, the round is traveling at it's highest velocity just before the back of the projectile exits the barrel due to the expanding gas behind it. In energy weapons, the end of the barrel would, theoretically, be a focusing lens/field, which concentrates the raw energy in the direction it's being fired.

....In kinetic weapons, the round is traveling at it's highest velocity just before the back of the projectile exits the barrel due to the expanding gas behind it. In energy weapons, the end of the barrel would, theoretically, be a focusing lens/field, which concentrates the raw energy in the direction it's being fired.

All LOS / and game rules aside, that would probably be true if you were talking about something like a cannon on a conventional tank. The exorcist fires a hail of self proppelled "vertical" missles that rain down onto their targets; so in other words, wouldnt the projectile have reached its highest velocity at some point durring its descent back down to terra firma?

Again game rules aside, The 360 degree field of fire would probably be explained by gunners clear view of the battle field from her exposed gunner pit.

....In kinetic weapons, the round is traveling at it's highest velocity just before the back of the projectile exits the barrel due to the expanding gas behind it.

Actually...the projectile is still accellerating at that point, since the expanding gases are still pushing on the back of the projectile. The amount of push drops off quite rapidly after the projectile leaves the barrel, but the projectile's peak velocity is actually just after leaving the barrel :tu:

I believe for line of sight the lovely lady controlling the organ would be the one who you check for line of sight. As for actual range that would come from the pit. Logically anyways.

As for bolters, there is a real life bolter, it was a cool weapon, shot single cartridge mini-missiles. Worked underwater. You could shot it at your friend from 5 feet away and it would poke him in the stomach... no damage whatsoever. It was also innately silent, jammed a lot, and as you said took time to get up to speed, it also fired in a true line unlike most ballistic weapons that fire in a small arc. That said I believe that bolters use a cartridge-based missile that has resistance to its acceleration inside the gun before leaving at which point like water escaping a small hole it leaves with a much higher force that it had in the barrel. That said bolter shells explode on contact after arming mid-flight about 5 feet out. At close range they act like normal bullets.

If you're referring to gyrojet, yes, bolters are an extremely advanced version of it. They apparently have overcome every weakness the gyrojet guns have, and made them better on top of that to boot...except they're much, much heavier (gyrojet guns were quite lightweight).

I agree use LoS from either the pipes or the loader it is really up to you in the end, its your tank.

Its easier to direst with the other version of the excorsist as you would take it from that barrel of the missliles so thats what i do, from the tubes of the Missiles to the target.

It seems logical to me but everyone wants that extra inch :D

Archived