Weapon Assignment Dilemma

Zeruel

I've been putting together a Night Lords army recently and I have a 1750 list I've been building towards but I've kind of hit a snag. I have most of my army down to a point that I am perfectly happy with but the weapons options for some of my squads are giving me a headache thinking about it. Basically it comes down to this. I have two 10 man Marine units in Rhinos with Icon of Glory and PF champs and two 8 man raptor units with champs with lightning claws. Now between these four squads I have the points for 4 Melta Guns and 4 Flamers. Originally I had each unit with a melta and flamer each which while tactically flexible doesn't sit well with me. I like a little bit of certainty and I don't like the idea of the squad firing its lone melta gun at a tank and either failing to hit or not causing significant enough damage and then have to fire an entire other squad to finish the job.

So I've been thinking of a few set ups and would like all of your opinions on which is best. Keep in mind these options are all based on what I have and has already been assembled so some set ups I can't do (for example two of my raptors special weapons carriers are already assembled and painted with flamers so two raptors have to have them).

Okay for reference sake the rest of the army is a winged/warptime Prince, 10 chosen with PF champ and 3x Melta, 4 Terminators with Heavy Flamer, Chainfist and 3x Combi-Plasma and 10 man marine squad with PW champ and 2x Plasma and IoCG in Rhino and then the other 4 squads.

So here's the set ups

Set Up #1

Both Marine squads with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champs, IoCG, Rhinos)

Both Raptor Squads with 2 Flamers (LC Champs)

Set Up #2

1 Marine Squad with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champ, IoCG, Rhino)

1 Marine Squad with 2 Flamers (PF Champ, IoCG, Rhino)

1 Raptor Squad with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champ)

1 Raptor Squad with 2 Flamers (LC Champ)

Set Up #3

Both Marine Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (PF Champs, IoCG, Rhinos)

Set Up #4

1 Marine Squad with 2 Flamers (PF Champ, IoCG, Rhino)

Both Raptor Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (LC Champs)

Or keep it as is with

Both Marine Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (PF Champs, IoCG, Rhinos)

Both Raptor Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (LC Champs)

Which do you guys think will work best for me? My main opponents will be Chaos (Mostly Undivided or Mixed players), Marines (Salamanders, Black Templars and Space Wolves), Orks (both Horde and Speed Freak), Tyranids (mostly balanced), Eldar and to a lesser extent Tau and Imperial Guard.

Setup # 2. but if you go with setup 2 remember that most o the time that CSM squad with 2 flamers will be better off rapid firing and flaming than flaming and firing pistols and assaulting. And the exact opposite is true of the raptors squad with 2 flamers.

Setup 2 is the best if you want to focus a unit on something. That give a Raptor and Rhino squad version of both weapon loadouts.

I would go with the "as is" setup but thats because I emphasize the flexibility of my CSMs. If you want the reliability you mentioned while still being flexible, 2 is the best.

I would go with setup 1, actually.. While it wouldnt give your space marines an advantage over other infantry (esp hordes), flamers on raptors make them rather flexible.. They could jump forward along the sides and powerfist vehicles around (or meltabombs), or tag beside or behind ur csm squads, so that when the enemy infantry rushes up to you, your raptors have up to 12" of tactical maneuverability to position the best flamer templates of doom, whereas your csm squads can only run up 6" and shoot before charging. This works great against fleeting troops like swarm 'Nids. Jump forward, flame and assault while your csm squads continue moving. Plus having the possibility of instant-killing with your grunt squads' (the csms) meltas is pretty fun to me.

Setup 5

or

Setup 6

1 Raptor Squad with 2 Flamers (PW Champ)

1 Raptor Squad with 2 Flamers (PF Champ)

Because I prefer to put template weapons on fast units.

My 2 Kraks

Archived