Modelling: Using Magnets

Lets see. The most commentation I've had on this thread yet.

Andrecus: Magnets..finnicky? Sounds like a personal problem to me. =-D

Asterixlee: I think they will be a tad too large for your special weapons. I haven't tried it yet, because I KNOW they'll be too big. For the Dreadnought, it will be fine, its what I do (for the leg/torso connection, and arms). ONE PROBLEM!! When you do dreadnoughts, make sure you look at the arm before you glue the 2 pieces together (left/right halves) BECAUSE, some of the arms aren't flat. You'll want to layer some plasticard in the arm before you assemble them. After that, you're home free.

And for tanks, it'll be fine, because the magnets you list, are the exact same size of mine, and since mine work just fine, then yours should too.

SgtNACHO:

especially when your trying to get a lil piece of metal into a corner, it is quite annoying getting the polaritys right

Put a stick of magnets on the opposite side of the corner, with the OPPOSITE polarity, the magnet you want in the corner would then attract to it, which would give you time to magnetize.

I also had 1/32" thick, (my first magnets) quite large. If you plan on putting them in the hands, it'll be WAAYYY too big, if you look at it, the magnet dia. is bigger than the hand almost. You'd probably be good with 1/16" dia. x 1/32" thick, 100 for $6.00 from KJ (I just checked)

I might invest in some of those, since they're cheap, and I know they'll be perfect, but if I end up not using them, I'll have some fun with them. My first set of 200 magnets (1/16" thick) I brought them to school, and my nerdy friend (always talking about superglue and model rockets) played with them all class. So much fun. =-D

Go for 1/16" dia. x 1/32" thick. I will be.

Yup, 1/8", 4mm. I hate the way that we keep switching conversions.

Just shove it in a power drill, vrrrrr for a bit, and glue the magnet in.

Thanks Andrecus, I knew it would, but hows the pull on those things? Its about 1/4th of the ones I'm currently using, which I guess is okay... For weapons I guess.

Both hands as in how? Do you mean both the hands of a Tac Marine or both the hands on a Commander? I mag-ed both the combat weapon arms and the ranged weapon hands on my Commander. I actually magnetized every ranged weapon hand in the box, since all the close combat weapons were already attached to arms...

I didn't magnetize any of my Tac Marines... I would only magnetize the ones with heavy weapons anyway, but if I did mag my Tac Marines, I would probably do both arms, yeh.

Hey guys, just magnetized the arms on one of my Scouts. I wanted him to be able to hold a Heavy Bolter or a Bolt-pistol Combat blade combo, so I magnetized the heavy bolter arms...

They hold the Heavy Bolter on very nicely, so magnetizing heavy weapons with 1/16" dia. x 1/32" is a go... (That's like, squad heavy weapons, I doubt 1/16" dia. x 1/32" would hold vehicle weapons very well. Maybe if you used more than one...)

I just found out that 1mm x 3mm magnets stick together just fine through 1mm (or a bit less in this case) of solid plastic, which means I managed to magnetize a CML to a terminators back without having to have bare magnet visible when another weapon option is used. I might take some pictures when I make the next one if anyone's interested.

yeah sure, but I have a sculpting video to make first, and this is finals week, so don't expect anything until next week.

No worries take all the time you need there's no rush what so ever. I'd be a real A-hole to demand that you do you do it right away, especially when you've gone out of your way to make such cool vids for us all out of the goodness of your own heart. I just want you to know that I really do appreciate the tutorials that you've done and also any that you do in the future as well. If my previous post came across as demanding I appologise with all sincerity. I look forward to seeing your sculpting tutorial and am certain it will be of high quality, like the ones that you've already done. Thank you once again and good luck with your exams.

I just found out that 1mm x 3mm magnets stick together just fine through 1mm (or a bit less in this case) of solid plastic, which means I managed to magnetize a CML to a terminators back without having to have bare magnet visible when another weapon option is used. I might take some pictures when I make the next one if anyone's interested.

Yes, I'd have loved to do this, but at the time, I didn't currently have small enough magnets, so I couldn't place any in the CML, so I didn't do it =-P If you'd like to post, go right ahead!

No worries take all the time you need there's no rush what so ever. I'd be a real A-hole to demand that you do you do it right away, especially when you've gone out of your way to make such cool vids for us all out of the goodness of your own heart. I just want you to know that I really do appreciate the tutorials that you've done and also any that you do in the future as well. If my previous post came across as demanding I appologise with all sincerity. I look forward to seeing your sculpting tutorial and am certain it will be of high quality, like the ones that you've already done. Thank you once again and good luck with your exams.

Aherm, you have some brown stuff on your nose... =-D Just kidding. But thank you, those are quite the kind words. I love kind words, especially when they're directed towards muah.

I don't suppose

Asking doesn't really constitute DEMANDING, and you didn't say. DO A DREADNOUGHT VIDEO..NOW!!! =-D

I get out of school at 12:00 all week, so I'll try and do them ASAP!

A sculpting vid, you say? Intriguing...

Oh, and what's a CML? I'm guessing: Chapter Master Launcher or something...

Yes, I did notice that eve really small neodymium magnets can hold other magnets even through quite a bit of plastic. I suppose larger ones go through more plastic.

Archived