Tournament in WI

G. A. K.

Welcome brothers! Hoist a pint of ale and let me recount to you all the tale of my battles on the thirteenth on december.

I arrived to a full show at Chimera hobby in Appleton W., 16 player consisting of (i believe): 9 Marines, 2 Wolves, 2 Necron, 2 Chaos (Death Guard, Emperors Children), and an Ork. Needlass to say I fought a lot of power armor that day, but thats just what the Sons of Russ excel at!!

My list:

HQ

Hakon the Wise; Ven Dread: Plasma Cannon, Storm Bolter, Smoke, ex armor

Malok; Rune Priest: Bike, MC Frostbalde, Storm Shield, Chooser of the Slain, Wolf pelt, Frag

Victor; 1st Lt: TDA, Ass Cannon, Frostblade wolf pelt, rune charm,

Drop pod; "Victor's Vengence"

BodyGuard (4)- all with TDA, Rune Charm, Wolf Pelt

Johan: Ass Cannon, Lightning Claw

Claude: Ass Cannon, Power Fist

Rasmeusen: Lightning Claw, Storm Shield

Roland: Lightning Claw, Storm Shield

Erik:Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

Elite

Omega Scouts (4): Meltagun, x2 shotgun

Troops

Alpha Hunter (6): Bolters, power fist, plasmagun

Razorback; "Wolf's Hammer": Twin-linked Las

Beta Hunter (8): Bolters, Plasma Pistol, power fist, meltagun

Drop Pod; "Morning Star"

Bloody claws (9): P fist, p weapon, meltagun

Delta Claws (8): x2 p weapons, meltagun

Sgt Thorgrim: P fist, Storm Shield,wolf pelt/tooth necklace, rune charm

Rhino; "Thorgrim's Wings"

Heavy

Vindcator; "Breath of Morkai": ex armor, dozer

Round One: Death Guard; spearhead, 5 Objectives

His list; Four Squads of Plague Marines, a winged Prince of Nurgle, Typhus and termies, rounded out with a defiler and tri-las pred.

We placed the objectives spread out in roughly cleanse II deployment with three near my quarter and two near his.

I went first and dropped my termies right in the middle of the board to guard the obj. while everything else took up firing postions or moved toward an obj. He never made it past the termies who held the middle like a squad worth a quarter of my army (which they were, 488 pts!). He made like all of his FNP rolls all game (he only failed one!!) but with my heavy AP of the plasma and demolisher I took down his troops before they could pose much of a threat. My reserves both arrived in turn two allowing the scouts to explode the defiler and the GH to put a wound on the demon with the only Bolter who fired ( melta missed, plasma pistol popped). The Nurgle prince did get to assault my claws on foot with my priest though and due to my priest not getting into combat the first round he smoked five of the remaining six claws without a return wound from my fist. Next round he focused all attacks on Malok (he wounded him back once) who made all three of his inv saves, allowing the GH squad to assault unattacked after droping in near the center obj the turn before and they finishing him off with the help of the lone claw w/ a fist. At the end of turn four my army had cleansed the field of his deseased filth, thanks to a demolisher shell on Typhus and the two marines holding one obj. while my remaining termies (Only Victor, Rasmusen and Claude) swept the full 7-man squad from the other with assault cannons and frostblade/lightning claw/fist in the assault. Victory: 3 obj. to zero

Round Two: Codex Marines; spearhead, Victory Points

His List; Three Tact Squads (two combated), One Sternguard x5, Sacarius, Storm Shielded comand squad w/ medic, Vindi, Land Raider, Multi-melta Dead in pod

He got first turn and dropped he dread behind me and immobilized my vindi and his raider exploded my razorback(there goes my long range anti-tank), I countered by dropping my termis deep in his area and shook his vindi. My delta claws targeted the dread and destroyed him with a melta gun shot while thier Rhino provided cover to Haakon and Malok stormed the vindi for cover. Turn two started with the raider unloading the comand squad with Sacarius near my termies but a melta from one of his tact squads blew apart my pod so he had to test difficult to assault thru the wreckage, which he failed! My scouts arrived and immobilized HIS vindi (leaving both with limited fields of fire we both avoided) and also a squad of claws on foot arrived who marched toward the enemy deploy zone as the Delta Claws re-emparked in their Rhino providing cover to the vindi and Malok stormed Haakon this time. Turn three he shot with his sterguard at the scouts with AP 4 shells, killing all but the melta gunner. He also shot out his rhino hatch with two bolters to finish the scout, wounding twice but I made my saves and my moral check, PRAISE RUSS. He then made the mistake of bringing in one of his combat squads w/ PW sargent into the assault to increase his numbers (which allowed me to increase my attacks that round due to counter-attack/pelts) he killed no-one, but I Clawed one regular marine and fisted Sacarius four times! He made only three inv save which was all I needed as he fell to insant death. The remaining three members of the comand squad then broke (even failing the re-roll allowed by their standard) but the tact squad held firm; the command squad fell back 7 inches, but still were within 6 inches of my termies after the pile-in moves. My turn saw my pod arrive and melta the raider, my lone scout penned the vindi but he made his 5+ cover save. Victor made short work of the remaining tact marines and they all consolidated closer to the command squad and into cover. Turn four my opponent say the writing on the wall and lost most of his confidence, as his command squad continued thier fall-back move. Wanting only to get revenge on Victor's squad, he shot all five combi-meltas into them wounding three times, killing Rasmusen and Claude; Johan was able to duck behind cover. His 10-man tact squad in the rhino tried to make an escape and the other tact combat squad killed my melta scout. Victor wasn't pleased to see his brothers wounded so he broke cover to get to grips on those veterans, killing three with assault cannon fire and killing the rest in the assault. All the while my pod hunters cut down the tact squad for killing my scout and the Claws finnaly did something by wrecking the rhino within their range. The game ended with another Victory for me; 1200 VP to about 400.

Round Three: Codex Marines; Pitched Battle, Capture and Control

His list; Five 5-man bare-bones tactsquads with bolters, Five Razorbacks (two las, three hvy bolter), 2-bike attack bike squad with MM, two 10-man sterguard squads in pods (one: 4 combi-melta, 6 combi-plasma; one 10 combi-plasma), a Dread w/ TL hvy flamer, hvy flamer in a pod, and Pedro

I got first turn and dropped my termies next to his obj. he spent the whole game trying to deal with them with one pod of vets and his dread pod. I charged and wiped out one of the combat squads of sterguard with my termies and Malok but I eventually lost my fist and hammer, openning me up to get charged my the dread (whom I couldn't hurt), who killed Malok My Gh dropped on his obj. too but were shot up down to only the fist and the plasma pistol. I finnaly got my claws in the mix with the remaining two GH to kill the dread but the game ended in a draw. I however got about 650vps to his 500 so I got the bigger point split

All told I placed first and won the day!! Not to mention $90 in prizes which will add two droppods and a nice piece of terrain for my gaming table at home.

G

*Goes to grab victory ale*

Where has all the ale gone?!?!

*Grabs Thrall*

BRING MORE VICTORY ALE, WHELP!

What, we seem to need it given all these victories! Well done, G.A.K., have one on me when we get more in and good luck on the next day. May Russ bless your powerfists, having reaped a tally of the unworthy Codex boys.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the praise, and the ale!!

In fact I just played in a doubles tournament (by myself) on January 17th and just missed the grand prize for that one too. My record was 2-0-1: first place's overall score was 71; while I managed only 70, AAHHHHH! We were playing custom missions and I would have won that tie too (a table quarters game) if that damn (undamaged) eldar transport couldn't have moved 30 inches!! in one turn to contest my home table quarter or those guardians hadn't gotten a six on the run to contest the other. Perhaps I will write up a detailed battle report for those victories as well in the coming days

Second place isn't too bad so....

VICTORY ALES ALL AROUND!!!

G

Archived