Black Templar banner marine

Brother_Beork

Hi all,

Long time since my last post, hell even a long time since my last build... (Didn’t even finish the last few I posted here :D ). I don't even think people will remember me :tu:

Real life has the annoying tendency to sneak up on me and strike me down like a lion stalking a zebra (who don’t get ulcers btw (stress physiology joke, never mind. But if you’re interested try to get your hands on this book: ‘Why zebras don’t get ulcers’ by Robert M. Sapolsky)).

Having started building again, I needed to clean my desk first as the accumulated dust and hobby material made working impossible. During cleaning I checked up on the status of my old projects and found an old command squad I was building ages ago when the original Emperors Compensation, er... Champion was released. The squad was interrible state, modelled horrible bad and not good for the general public.

The banner marine however, while not special modelling wise or in originality, still has a charm (to me at least) that survives bad modelling. So I wanted to honour this little marine by giving him his own display base and cleaning him up a bit.

I just have a new portable lightbox thingy, so the photos aren't at their best yet, sorry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/brother_beork/Misc/100_5428resize700.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/brother_beork/Misc/100_5429resize700.jpg

His sword was lost in time (he had a power sword first, but I changed it to a chain sword later, which is now lost), so I gave him the plastic terminator power sword which I had lying about and thought looked appropriate as it’s a long sword and looks as if it can be used one-handed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/brother_beork/Misc/100_5422resize700.jpg

I also gave him the backpack which was made for a chaplain, simply because I had it lying about and I like the design.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/brother_beork/Misc/100_5430resizefigure700.jpg

I still need to fill everything and fix the shoulder pad on his sword arm (it’s drooping or something) but he’s as good as done.

I wanted to ask your help on the base though; is it too full, too empty?

Does it convey the idea that he’s holding aloft his banner in the middle of battle?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/brother_beork/Misc/100_5434-resize500pixels.jpg

At first I wanted to include chopped-off claws of the ‘gaunt whose chopped-off head lies at his feet, but I thought it would become a bit cluttered. Maybe I should add some ‘nid ranged weapon damage on the base or something…. I don’t know, help me out here.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the hobbyhawk? I haven't been able to find it in a while.

C&C appreciated,

Beork

Looking good from here. RE: the base, i think the severed head is a bit too detached from the body. Some painted on blood etc later could probably remedy this, but i think having the rest of the corpse curled up int the top left hand corner (last pic) so that it has fallen around the banner pole would look good.

Al

I think you're right that there's something about the Standard Bearer's pose that's really very appealing. This looks to be the start of a great miniature - I look forward to seeing progress on it. :huh:

I like the dead ripper but the severed head doesn't really work for me just because it seems so detached from everything else.

thanks for the replies.

I'll make a curled up headless gaunt and see how it'll look, but I think it'll be to cluttered, the emphasis should be on the marine, not a brightly coloured alien.

I could of course make the marine a different colour instead of black, make more of a contrast... still thinking.

Other suggestions?

Beork

Paint the dead alien beasty drab colours similar to the rest of the base. Tyranids aren't all brightly coloured so it is perfectly plausable to have a dull gray/brown alien corpse that won't detract from the standard. When he's painted black with some nice white pads he'll stick out like a sore thumb from the base, the focus will be on him but he will be standing with a purpose.

Al

yeah, but if the alien blends too well in the background, th base will be too simple, detracting from the marine.... still thinking, Although, maybe just making the 'nid a ton lighter than the background might work...

thanks for the advice anyway, in my head 'nids are still the brightly coloured 2nd edition aliens.

Ceadrius, the flag is from the empire knights (WH fantasy)

Beork

Archived