Powersword vs Dreadnought

Madhead

I'm totally green on this stuff but I'm having fun so far. Last night I ran my SM:Dreadnought into assault with a CSM:Lord who had a bolt pistol and a power sword. We where figuring this stuff out as we went and just could not come to a conclusion we liked on what to do when the lord hits the Dreadnought with his power sword.

To hit= WS versus WS

To wound? = ? Powersword cuts through armor ignoring my armor?

or maybe the CSM:Lord uses his Strength + D6 to overcome my Dreadnoughts 12 armor?

I've searched for about an hour on this forum and I found this:

thread

If I could get something like that, but for the assault phase, it might be useful. Yes, I've read the rule book. Can some one GW to English translate it for me?

I gotta say, I'm having lots of fun so far and am eager to play again tonight.

A powerweapon ignores opponents armour saves, but it has no special properties against vehicles. Against vehicles you have to overcome the armour value, so a weapon mostly needs a high strength. Some weapons have additional properties against vehicle armour, such as rolling additional D6s for armour penetration, or adding +1 on the damage table or some such. A powerweapon does not have anything like that.

EDIT: As you can imagine, a lord with a powerweapon cannot hurt vehicles with an armour value of 11 or higher. Luckily these days all lords come equipped with Krak Grenades, so he can hurt AV 12 vehicles. To make him even stronger against vehicles he could get Melta Bombs. They are not as helpful against dreads, because grenades only hit them on rolls of 6, but they are nice against heavy tanks. Alternatively, a powerfist. Not quite as strong as melta bombs, but more attacks. And hits dreads better.

Ok. We searched and searched and searched and never found "Power Sword" in a chart anywhere giving us its Strength. What is its strength?

Once I find out its Strength, do I then add that to a D6 roll and compare to the targets armor(12)?

In close combat, a model usually attacks with its own strength value, which is 4 in case of a Chaos Lord. Some weapons modify a models strength, though. A undivided daemon weapon makes him attack at Strength +1. Powerfists attack at twice teh models strength, which would be Strength 8 in case of Space Marines.

EDIT: As you can imagine, a lord with a powerweapon cannot hurt vehicles with an armour value of 11 or higher. Luckily these days all lords come equipped with Krak Grenades, so he can hurt AV 12 vehicles. To make him even stronger against vehicles he could get Melta Bombs. They are not as helpful against dreads, because grenades only hit them on rolls of 6, but they are nice against heavy tanks. Alternatively, a powerfist. Not quite as strong as melta bombs, but more attacks. And hits dreads better.

Why do powerfists hit a dread but power swords can't?

We ruled the powersword to ignore armor (per the fluff) and using that logic he murdered my dreadnought pretty quickly. When I saw my ancient warrior fall the the traitor scum so easily, I knew we had the rules wrong some now.

Ok. We searched and searched and searched and never found "Power Sword" in a chart anywhere giving us its Strength. What is its strength?

Once I find out its Strength, do I then add that to a D6 roll and compare to the targets armor(12)?

Yes.

Your str (as mentioned) is your characters strength with a powersword, so you'd be rolling 4 + (d6) and trying to equal or beat an armour value of 12.

You may notice something there..

(buying meltabombs often a decent idea, as is keeping Chaos Lords away from nasty dreads ;) )

You look under "Special Close Combat Weapons" in the rulebook. Unless otherwise stated you use the strength of the model.

As Powersword doesn't say anything about modifying the strength.....well, you don't.

When using a Power weapon you get to ignore the opponents Armour Save. Note that this is not the same as ignoring Armour Value or ignoring Invulnerable Saves. Only Armour Saves are ignored.

Hey, I just wanted to come back and say thanks again. I discussed this ruling with my opponent before the game. He agreed and we played a fun game. I thoroughly trounced him breaking two CSM Tatical squads close combat and having them run off the table. His Chaos Dread did kill mine with a Multi-Melta late game but I still won the day.

Thanks again.

Archived