FAQ - 5th Ed

WolfLordLars

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=147859

Could everyone take a minute to look through this and see if there are any issues or anything I missed? I am going to take the whole thing and try to organize it better in Janurary, but wanted to make sure the info was up to date.

Looks pretty good there Lars, except you have the Wolf Guard Battle Leader in twice under the small print rules.

Also, just a quick question- does the Iron Halo still have the 0-1 limit in the army ( I don't have the new Codex yet), as the 4th Edition version did. Technically, if it still does, you cannot have both a Belt of Russ and a Wolf Priest in the same army, as both have wargear that use the Iron Halo's rules.

Sorry to bother you with this, but I thought of it as I was reading through.

Otherwise, this looks really good and I can wait for the final version so I can carry it with me when I game.

I will fix the small print rules.

An Iron Halo is 0-1, a piece of wargear that works like an Iron Halo is not 0-1. The Belt of Russ (one of those pieces) is. The Iron Wolf Amulet (the other) comes with each Wolf Priest. You can have both in the same army.

I think you need to revise info on Chronus. There's been some headed debates about whether he is allowable. I think it should be like Rhinos and Razorbacks, "you need to ask." I don't plan to field him, I have no problem with someone else fielding him.

And this is very 'rules-lawyerish', but since the English SW FAQ never defines a 'variant', it's not crystal clear if SW can field Land Raider Redeemers, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, or Land Speeder Storms (or if Wolf Scouts can ride in the Storm since they are Wolf Scouts not 'Scouts'). The SM Codex does state that the Land Raider Crusader is a variant, so it's in for certain.

Maybe the better way to write up the B&C FAQ is, "GW did not do a very good job with their FAQ. Some people are pickerier than others. As a result, there's a lot of items that aren't clear and you need to check with your local gaming group and/or tourney organizer. Here's a list of things to ask:

What points and options for Rhinos and Razorbacks?

Can SW field Chronus?

Can SW field LRR, Ironclads, LSS?

etc"

And with a note, "At the B&C, we would recommend that you play with the following set of rules, but this is in no way official for anything.

Use the SM codex points and options for Rhinos and Razorbacks

Chronus is allowable

LRR, IC, LSS is allowable

etc."

Looks good other than the small print repeat. :)

Thanks for getting this together!

Fang

Did you not like the small print or the repeat?

I made it small because there was ALOT of stuff, but not all of it really necessary for a FAQ.

I think you need to revise info on Chronus. There's been some headed debates about whether he is allowable. I think it should be like Rhinos and Razorbacks, "you need to ask." I don't plan to field him, I have no problem with someone else fielding him.

I will add a part that "your game store might have a different opinion" but the rules as they are would seem to suggest we can take him. I DOUBT that was the intent of the people who wrote it, but honestly, if it was an issue it would take them all of an hour to adjust the SW FAQ to note such. I try not to interpret the rules for GW, just muddle through the mess.

And this is very 'rules-lawyerish', but since the English SW FAQ never defines a 'variant', it's not crystal clear if SW can field Land Raider Redeemers, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, or Land Speeder Storms (or if Wolf Scouts can ride in the Storm since they are Wolf Scouts not 'Scouts'). The SM Codex does state that the Land Raider Crusader is a variant, so it's in for certain.

*ahem* (Quoting the SW FAQ) "Space Wolves Vehicles: Use the point cost and rules for Codex: Space Marines for Dreadnoughts, Land Speeders, Attack Bikes, Whirlwinds, predators, Land Raiders and Vindicators. All of the different variants and options available to these units in a Space Marine army are also available to the Space Wolves.. The exception to this is the Venerable Dreadnoughts, which must be chosen from the Space Wolves army list (as detailed on page 7), and not the Space Marines army list." (bold is mine)

To me, that spells it out pretty clearly. We can take Ironclad Dreads (a Dread variant), Redeemers (a LR variant), and Storms (Land Speeder variant - though of all of them that is the one that might be 'iffy'). Oh, and anyone who says that a Wolf Scout is not a "scout" should be dragged out back and beaten with a rubber hose. They use scout weapons, they wear scout armor. That splitting hairs crap really gets under my skin. Of course they are scouts! I will not validate that by even considering their opinion in the FAQ. They are wrong, plain and simple.

Anyway, I hope that clears up the concern. I would also claim that the "variants and options available" statement would include Chronus, but I will mention that the locals might not like the idea of it.

Maybe the better way to write up the B&C FAQ is, "GW did not do a very good job with their FAQ. Some people are pickerier than others. As a result, there's a lot of items that aren't clear and you need to check with your local gaming group and/or tourney organizer. Here's a list of things to ask:

What points and options for Rhinos and Razorbacks?

Can SW field Chronus?

Can SW field LRR, Ironclads, LSS?

etc"

With some, yes. I will put that list of "local rules may vary" at the top.. but alot of times, things are spelled out pretty clear in the FAQ and codex, but the local group will want to further "clarify" the issue.. which really means they want to change the rules and options available to the Space Wolf list. I am 100% against this and will encourage anyone who plays space wolves to also challenge anyone who tries to do this. It would be like saying that because of how they are a dieing race, only one in ten players can play them in a tournament. Some things just dont need that sort of "clarification".

And with a note, "At the B&C, we would recommend that you play with the following set of rules, but this is in no way official for anything.

Use the SM codex points and options for Rhinos and Razorbacks

Chronus is allowable

LRR, IC, LSS is allowable

etc."

I think thats implied, but to be perfectly honest, if a Tournament Organizer really has no clue to how a rule works, and is handed our FAQ here, I think he will be fully aware that it isnt official. Its a guide, just like everything else that doesnt come from GW (and heck, according to them, most of their stuff is just a guide too, right? ;) :) ). Personally, I would really like to see GW pick up what we have done here and make it official, but I am not holding my breath. Until then, I want to encourage anyone and everyone who plays Space Wolves to use them. Issues that are undecided or unclear are noted as such. Issues that are very clear are in there as well. We have tried to present a balance list of answers to common questions about the rules, so that we can all be on the same page when playing our favorite army. :)

Hope that clears it up for you.

To me, that spells it out pretty clearly. We can take Ironclad Dreads (a Dread variant), Redeemers (a LR variant), and Storms (Land Speeder variant - though of all of them that is the one that might be 'iffy'). Oh, and anyone who says that a Wolf Scout is not a "scout" should be dragged out back and beaten with a rubber hose. They use scout weapons, they wear scout armor. That splitting hairs crap really gets under my skin. Of course they are scouts! I will not validate that by even considering their opinion in the FAQ. They are wrong, plain and simple.

Hope that clears it up for you.

It was clear to me beforehand. The arguement is, and it's one of these "yeah, I guess in a court of law, this hair splitting could work" arguements - they don't define a Variant. So, it was argued that a Predator Destructor is a variant (even though it's not an entry anymore).

Hey, I don't make this stuff up. It's too obtuse to make it up. My answer is always, "Play APOC and it doesn't matter."

But, I think having something that is a good general reference for tourney play and semi-competitive friendly play is a good thing. I think there's too much confusion and obtuse people to help sort it out clearly. And for a tourney, it'd be nice to say, "Hey, it's not crystal clear how to play it. This is how I plan to unless you say otherwise." would be nice.

Land Speeder Storms (or if Wolf Scouts can ride in the Storm since they are Wolf Scouts not 'Scouts'). The SM Codex does state that the Land Raider Crusader is a variant, so it's in for certain.

Youll note that in the Wolf Scout Pack entry they are referred to simply as scouts under their profile, thus while the unit is title differently they are in fact scouts.... if were going to split hairs, lets do it all the way eh?

Archived