Thinking of becoming Ordos

Mattsama

I was looking about, pondering the fun of a Grey Knight purist army, but ran into a few questions.

First off, I have the Daemonhunters codex from right before 4.0 kicked off, as well as the 4.0 FAQ. Is there any other source data that I should be looking at? Anything for a 5.0 rules update?

Secondly, Grey Knight Squads (as troops ) can't use Rhinos!?

I guess for now, that's all the questions I have. More may come as I scour the codex, but for now, thanks for your help in advance!

You need the 5th edition FAQ, which you can download from the GW website, and also the downloadable 5th edition Rulebook FAQs. Other than that you should be fine for a purist army. If you want to avail yourself of the allies rules, you'll obviously need the appropriate codices.

No, Grey Knights cannot use Rhinos, as they do not have that as a transport option. And since our codex lists Rhinos specifically as dedicated transports, GKs can't even get in them throughout the game. The only things your GKs can ride in are Land Raiders (or other non-dedicated transports that you might get through allies rules, like a HS Immolator from the Witch Hunters' codex).

You need the 5th edition FAQ, which you can download from the GW website, and also the downloadable 5th edition Rulebook FAQs. Other than that you should be fine for a purist army. If you want to avail yourself of the allies rules, you'll obviously need the appropriate codices.

No, Grey Knights cannot use Rhinos, as they do not have that as a transport option. And since our codex lists Rhinos specifically as dedicated transports, GKs can't even get in them throughout the game. The only things your GKs can ride in are Land Raiders (or other non-dedicated transports that you might get through allies rules, like a HS Immolator from the Witch Hunters' codex).

No HS allowed with alleys, remember.

I was looking about, pondering the fun of a Grey Knight purist army, but ran into a few questions.

Cool beans. Just something, there's Ordo Malleus, Hereticus and Xenos. Unless I somehow missed Malleus being called Ordos somewhere else,

with the Grey Knight being the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Malleus. If you decide to go that route, welcome ;)

First off, I have the Daemonhunters codex from right before 4.0 kicked off, as well as the 4.0 FAQ. Is there any other source data that I should be looking at? Anything for a 5.0 rules update?

Ya, as said, most recent FAQ, just search for it on Google or travel to the wonderfully designed (!) GW website. There's also the wonderful DH-'gotcha'-FAQsticky on this forum.

Secondly, Grey Knight Squads (as troops ) can't use Rhinos!?

I guess for now, that's all the questions I have. More may come as I scour the codex, but for now, thanks for your help in advance!

Yay, we're awesome! You get Landraiders you can transport your stuff in if you go pure GK.

Foot slogging scares me. I'm a Blood Angel (Fleshtearers in third) turned Night Lord (when 3rd's Chaso codex dropped) turned back to the Blood Angels in 5th, and looking for some more fun to be had on the field.

Is the 3+ save really strong enough to keep a foot slogging Grey Knight Army alive? If I was making use of Land Raiders, they would probably be transporting a Termi squad or two... Probably going to have to spend some time reading GK Tactica...

****************EDITED FOR NEW QUESTION***********************

So I was flipping through the DH Codex and a new question: If I upgrade a LRC with the Psycannon Bolts vehicle upgrade, are the Hurricane Bolters effected (IE become S4 AP4)??

So I was flipping through the DH Codex and a new question: If I upgrade a LRC with the Psycannon Bolts vehicle upgrade, are the Hurricane Bolters effected (IE become S4 AP4)??

If only! I had this question too a while back. Unfortunately, if you flip to the armoury and read the description for a vehicle's psycannon bolts carefully, it specifically says Storm Bolter or Heavy Bolter. No Hurricanes, sorry.

As a technical note: If you ally in a squad of Celestians with your allied HQ choice (palatine or cannoness heroine, command squad of celestians or an elites choice Celestians) or a FA Dominions (though I personally prefer Seraphim), they may come with an Immolator transport if the squad numbers 6 or less models.

Also, a WH Inquisitor may take a Chimera, Rhino or Land Raider.

It is worth noting that WH transports are undedicated... so using WH troops options and so on can get you undedicated transports which could transport your Grey Knights. It's a little fast and loose ruleswise, but possible.

Is the 3+ save really strong enough to keep a foot slogging Grey Knight Army alive?

Not on its own, no. But a huge part of what helps to protect GKs on the ground is The Shrouding. (See p. 8 of the codex.) It's a weaker version of night fighting, but good enough that 50%+ of enemy shooting is outright nullified at distances of 30" and greater. And because GKs have a constant 24"-30" threat bubble (6" move + stormbolter range), that counts for a lot. Also, if you are playing on a standard 25% terrain-covered board, as recommended in the BRB, you should have lots of cover save opportunities, if not also opportunities to use terrain to block line of sight to your Troops. More than 3/4 of my games are 100% footslogging (anchored by dreadnoughts for HS, no tanks at all), and it's an entirely viable way of playing the army.

Pure -- or even mostly pure -- GK is not an easy army to compete with. However, it is the kind of force that few opponents really know how to handle when guided by sure hands. If you are interested in pushing your tactical skills to the limit, you've come to the right army.

If I was making use of Land Raiders, they would probably be transporting a Termi squad or two... Probably going to have to spend some time reading GK Tactica...

Land raiders do function well on their own, of course. And most of us who utilize them transport regular PAGKs more often than GKTs because of the emphasis on Troops in 5th edition. FWIW, I have found that footslogging GKTs -- give the unit 2 psycannons -- is extremely effective and my personal favorite way of employing them.

GKs do not play like Space Marines. That's the first thing to internalize. :pinch:

Silent Requiem's "Way of the water warrior" -- pinned at the top of this forum -- is practically required reading. You don't need to play SR's army list to benefit, either. What he discusses is entirely applicable to all GK army builds.

Welcome aboard!

Silent's strategies are in my opinion the best way to play pure grey knights. the ONLY thing I do differently to what he recommends is swapping one of the godhammer landraiders for a crusader.

you need to react to whatever your opponent does... with 3 land raiders full of grey knights / grey knight terminators, you always have the weapon best suited to a task. you just need to be acutely aware of what your opponent has that can pop your land raiders, and do your best to take those threats out.

Thanks to everyone who popped on and gave me direction. I really appreciate it and am glad to see that the positive attituides and helpfulness I've read in other forums is continued here. Cheers to that!

But now... after much reading and toying and debating... (and I want to make sure I can do this, cause I will cry if not) I want to also make a SoB supplemental force. Because quite frankly, some days you're not in the mood to play the single most challenging army without a woman by your side... I mean, face the hordes of the warp without a good woman by your side....

But yeah.... I will more than likely collect enough of both to play them singularly or as a pair in larger games. From what I'm seeing the overwhelming concensus is "Live Celestials or die walking!!" Any comments about good "filler" or "complimentary" SoB units to ally with a Grey Knight force (please note I want the GKs to be the base for now).

well, you can't go wrong with out a basic Sisters of battle Squad, ( I think) these are 1 less point that GK, and are

awesome if given flamers, seraphims are also pretty popular

One less point than GK!?! Hah! If only we were so lucky. :D

Try this: Seraphim are three points less than a basic GK, not to mention the twice-as-much mandatory Justicar in each squad. :P

Welcome to the Ordos, the most tactically chalenging way to play.

Pure GK are a joy when you get your head around some basic strategies.

A common crossover between Hereticus and Maleous are the Seraphim squads toting melta. DS them near a tank (traditionally our weakest area) and watch it disapear.

well, you can't go wrong with out a basic Sisters of battle Squad, ( I think) these are 1 less point that GK, and are

awesome if given flamers, seraphims are also pretty popular

One less point than GK!?! Hah! If only we were so lucky. :lol:

Try this: Seraphim are three points less than a basic GK, not to mention the twice-as-much mandatory Justicar in each squad. :yes:

this is what i get for not having the Grey knight codex ^_^

A ten woman Battle Sister Squad, basic with no upgrades, is 110 points. Add in a VSS w/Book, and a heavy flamer/meltagun combo, and it goes to 151 points, although only the VSS+book I consider truelly necessary.

A five man Grey Knights squad, basic with no upgrades, is 150 points. Pair of psycannons and it goes to 200.

So yeah... the Sisters can work to really put some bodies on the field for DH, if you want to ally them in.

Looking through the WH codex, and I noticed that in the 'Transports' Land Raider is listed. But I couldn't find a squad with the option to take one. Did I miss it, or am I correct that it's just in there for no apparent reason?

Looking through the WH codex, and I noticed that in the 'Transports' Land Raider is listed. But I couldn't find a squad with the option to take one. Did I miss it, or am I correct that it's just in there for no apparent reason?

An Inquisitor or Inquisitor Lord can, if they have a retinue, take a Land Raider as a transport for said Retinue. It is, however, thanks to the most recent WH FAQ an Undedicated transport. See page 26 for details in the little box under Inquisitor Lord :P

It's loads of fun.. plus adds a lot of anti-armor firepower.

Archived