Did I miss something?

eyescrossed

I would say that they can't because as Legatus said they don't move as infantry and to run you need to be able to move as infantry (i think, there is something for beasts and cavalry im pretty sure.) But i'd say a no to them running.

So by RAW, they can run.

I suggest again that spore mines do not "move" at all. They do not follow usual movement rules and are more a random effect than a model. They have special rules that have them move at random during the movement phase. That move is compulsory and they can do nothing else. The spore mine rules don't explain in what ways their movement is different from ordinary movement, they explain exactly how spore mines behave during their turn. If the spore mines own specific behaviour rules don't say that they move again during the shooting phase, then as far as I'm concerned they don't.

New manouver options that are now available to regular units in the new edition are not available to spore mines. Spore mines keep doing what spore mines do. They cannot "go to ground" either for example. They will have their mandatory move in their next movement phase. There is no "choice" involved by the owning player, he cannot decide to have them go to ground so they could not move next turn.

I took out 14 Ork boyz with a frag once, for 8 points!

Somehow, I doubt the veracity of this statement... How do you touch (let alone wound) 14 models with a single 3 inch blast template...?

Umm... frag spore mines are large blast.

Somehow, I doubt the veracity of this statement... How do you touch (let alone wound) 14 models with a single 3 inch blast template

I can easily fit 13 models touching a small blast, and with a bit of fidgeting I can get up to 19. This is why lash of submission is so deadly, lash + plasma cannon = up to 19 models hit with one shot.

Yes I know its abusive and mean, but the small base is slightly less than one inch from my measurements, and so the 3 inch template can therefore touch 5 straight across. Even if the bases were exactly 1 inch, thus you could only get 3 across, by offseting the center hole of the small blast a fraction from the center of the base that is hit, you could get 4 across, and thus ~16 models hit.

Though this is all slightly off topic... To the OP, as for the run rule, if you play that spore mines can contest objectives and count as kill points, thus are treated as regular models/units, then I say let them run, as that is what ergular models can do (as well as die to give up kill points). Like all the other models bound by random or specific movement rules, this extra run movement will follow the same direction.

But if you play that the spores should not be able to count as kill points and what not, then they cant go to ground or run. This way your not saying that 'spores count as regular models when i kill them for kill points, but they dont count as regular models when you try to go to ground to prevent me from getting the kill points'

Fair is fair both ways, right :D

Yes they are! Toxin mines are 3" Blast, str: Always wounds on 4+, AP: 4, cause glancing against open topped, Acid mines are str: 3, AP: 3, 2D6+3 for penetration, and Frag mines are str: 4, AP: 5, 5" blast.

All types of spore mines are the small blast. Nowhere in the description of any of them does the term 'large blast' (or even template, now, for that matter) exist.

P.29: Under detonation... 'Place a Blast Marker centered over the mine...' The only thing p.28 tells us about them is their range, and type (H1, leaving out the blast part, entirely). Their FA entry, says nothing what-so-ever on the aformention stats. And the entries for them in the biovores section, also, only tells us their S, AP, and any further special rules (like toxin, and bio-acid mines have). And all of your posted stats are wrong.

Sure you're not still thinking of the old codex?? (or maybe just reading the old codex, instead of the new one) From the stats you posted, sounds like you are. 'Cuase that is not the currently printed set of stats for mines.

I can easily fit 13 models touching a small blast, and with a bit of fidgeting I can get up to 19. This is why lash of submission is so deadly, lash + plasma cannon = up to 19 models hit with one shot.

I love it when someone posts stuff like this... this is very literally, impossible. NOT POSSIBLE. You CAN'T hit 19 models with one small blast... maybe 9, if you really worked it, and they were packed in together.

The blast marker has to be centered on the spore mine; there's no way around that. However, having tons of empty bases and a laser cut 3" blast marker handy, I checked. The total number of possible hits is 19, though 6 of them are by the very slimmest of margins. So 19 is truly the known max, and that's if they're in base-tobase, concentric rings. Thus, to get that high number, the spore mine has to land dead center of a unit at least 19 strong that just deepstriked itself...such a possibility is decidedly slim to zilch. A large unit of daemons, I suppose.

Back on topic...they have their own special movement, and since they don't count as infantry, or indeed any other type of unit, they don't follow any of the rules in the BRB; their rules are all laid out in the Tyranid book. This just came up as I was typing...since they don't qualify as any type of unit and thus they don't qualify as a unit at all, do they give up KP? According to what I just wrote no... :P

Well I just read the Tyranid codex and found it says blast, not large blast. My friend and I have been using the large blast for the frag for the whole time we've collected.

I think we thought it was large blast because of Battle for Macragge, when you DID use a large blast marker for the mine.

Archived