Glancing Monoliths to death

angronn

My regular opponent has a Monolith (which I bought him for his birthday... doh!), and the Redshirt who sold me it pointed out that it is now impossible to glance a Monolith to death because the Power Matrix cannot be destroyed by a "Weapon Destroyed" result. Further enquiries with other Redshirts gave a 50/50 result with some suggesting that this is true, and others saying that once the Flux Arc is destroyed and the Monolith is immobilised, a further result of Weapon Destroyed will wreck the Monolith.

Thoughts?

RAW says that a weapon destroyed result never actually destroys the weapon, it just reduces the number of shots by 1.

Nowhere in the RAW does it say that the weapon is destroyed when it's shots fired reaches 0.

So, unless you have AP1 weapons, a monolith can never be destroyed by glancing hits.

Immobilized + Immobilized = weapon destroyed.

Weapon destroyed results never actually result in a weapon destroyed.

It sucks.

But you should never be going after the monoliths anyway. Go for the models with the "Necron" special rule and phase the bastards out.

Weapon destroyed results reduce the number of attacks by the flux arc or whatever it is... it never says that it destroys it. You can weapon destroy it till it has 0 attacks, but you can never really destroy the weapon. As such, no, you cannot glance a monolith to death.

It always has the power matrix as well, and that can shoot too.. and I don't think you can hit/destroy it..

The flux arcs, you can get the number of shots to zero.. but that doesn't mean it is destroyed (RAW)

Only glancings with ap1 weaponry have a chance of destroying the monolith.. otherwise you'll have to score penatrating hits..

Even if you can glance it to death you still can use it for yourself.

When it hasn't gotten any shots and is immobilized it still is a nice piece of terrain.

You'd still better stay more than 24" from it. The particle whip can still be used long after the flux arcs have been taken into the negative numbers. In fact, the power matrix/particle whip suffers no ill effects from weapon destroyed, crew shaken or crew stunned results.

Archived