Wolf Guards with Storm Shields (fluff)

WolfLordLars

So, while I generally like to keep to the established story (Just say NO to Female Marines ;) ), sometimes you have to be creative with things you want to do. One example are the (seemingly) popular Wolf Guards with Storm Shields and little else (combi-weapon or such).

Basically, they are shield-bearers. They are going into battle with the sole purpose of shielding their leader from harm, and possibly dieing in the process. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_bearer ) That is a link to what wikipedia has to say about it. These Wolf Guards must have a reason for their suicidal notions. I was thinking of a unit of those who are pre-wulfen. Not yet bearing the Mark of the Wulfen, they wish to serve and (hopefully) die before it comes to that.. but if they do survive, they will bear the mark soon, which all but guarantees a glorious death.

I could imagine some who would choose "Death before Dishonor" rather than become Wulfen, if that was their outlook. I dont think all of the Space Wolves look favorably upon their marked brethren.

When I put my models together, I am trying to figure out what the best load-out will be to give them. I thought maybe a ranged weapon, perhaps plasma, but I figured they would probably be better off with close combat. Suggestions?

It's difficlut to make a CC WG without getting into high points as all the wargear is cheap after the inital cost, however having them in a unit gives the unit some serious staying power. I am a big fan of the PF/SS or the TH/SS, WP WTT, WTN builds, give PW to the unit they join, very nice combo. They don't need runic charms when joining a pack as he can not be singled out. So 50-55 points is pretty streamlined for a WG and very effective in combat, I love getting instant kills on multi wound models. I don't not like my WGPL in TDA as the loss of a the pursue rule is not worth it.

In a retinue on the other hand, to not take TDA for a WG is criminal, 5 points for the 2+ save is well worth the points, and when it comes to the HQ and Retinue its all about staying power as they are going to get assigned as a high target priority.

The pack I am currently running now has 2 SS/SB 2 AC/PW, and my leader varies but always with a SS. Runic charms for all. When all goes well, the amount of fire power they can absorb has made a few enemies of the wolves cry in frustration. Keeping this build to under 350 is about streamlined as I can make them.

Lately I will not build a HQ without a SS, a cheap 3+ invol save is way to valiable on the battlefield and the best way to protect a 2 wound model. When a HQ joins a GH or BC pack and I have the 50ish points to spare, the WG will get a SS/TH. When the HQ joins with SS/PF or FB, it's a very nice combo and can deal well with anything that may attack the unit in CC as well as take down most mech threats. Getting auto hits against rear armor with a PF is a sure way for a penetrating hit.

Hope that somewhat answers your request.

WG Vrox.

My WGBL/WL run with a combi weapon and Frost Blade to take advantage of the high I and BS skills, and 7 S5 I5 attacks attacks on the counter charge after podding will worry anyone.

Plenty of my Wolf Guard get SS though - cheap and easy way to protect the leaders.

I really like two LC/SS combo with one TH/SS the other two have ass cannons and LC, PF and the HQ uses Ass cannon FB; everyone gets the charm and pelt all in a pod. I drop it deep in the enemy area and dare them to deal with them, most can't without redirecting two-thirds of their forces and most all their assault oriented squads; while they can't stop attacking the termies, the rest of my army is advancing on them (see how it worked for me in my batrep 'Tournament in WI')

For a WGPL I roll with the uber sgt with everything and PF/SS; hitting on 3's is great when you need to deal with ICs, tyrants or Russ forbid... the Avatar (WS 10!!!). That being said I usually only use one WGPL for my blood claws and move my RP with bike, chooser, pelt, FB/SS between the other BCs and the powerhouse squad as needed.

G

when it comes to storm sheilds i dont understand why they take up a hand why cant the be attached to the arm especially on termi armour, they can hold an assault cannon on one arm or a missile rack on their back they are going to be able lift a sheild! or do all SM terminators have a left sided weakness and the heaviest thing they can carry on their arm is a TH

;) lol

they're called combat shields and they don't provide as much protection because they are smaller and mounted on your arm. Even if you had a storm shield attached to your armor I doubt you could do much else with that arm anyway as it is basically a tower shield thats larger than your torso (even Haegar's ;) )

G

-edit-

spelling (as usual)

but not if you wanted to get any protection from the shield, it would be perpendicular to the direction of the threat. model it that way if you want but your only going to get your reg armor save, no 3+ inv.

G

first off my take on WG w/ SS:

in my fluff for my wolves any WG with SS are kind of like a Wolf Blade for the lord/priest/battle leader that they are with. kind of like an elite bodyguard that are devoted to defending who ever they are to protect. if they are with a pack then, there is a member of that pack that is of some form of importance to someone higher up in the fang.

if fully agree that a SS should be attached to the forearm and not take up a hand, though i think it should only work that way if in TDA. meaning that the SS is a very heavy piece of metal and needs a little more to hold it. trying to use it that way in power armor would prove to cumbersome and one wouldn't be able to aim a ranged weapon very well.

The point of taking WG with SS are that they will most likely die, and soon. A RC is a given. WTN/WP/etc is not. Cheap is the idea. These are 'disposable' retinue.

SS means no 2nd attack from CCW. But, the other items that disallow a 2nd attack if you only take 1 (LC, PF, TH) are all expensive, which defeats the point of a 'cheap' model to soak up damage.

I could imagine some who would choose "Death before Dishonor" rather than become Wulfen, if that was their outlook. I dont think all of the Space Wolves look favorably upon their marked brethren.

Perhaps not all of them, but my Codex says that they are revered by their brethren ;-)

im thinking the grey knight termies would look awesome for wolf guard models once aptly wolfed up. give them a shield and their force halbreds would create the perfect spearman with his giant shield

That's a darned good idea, and I will have to see what I can do about that.

I'd love for my Wolf Guards to be 'Dane-Axe' carrying Huscarls...

**goes off looking at GKTDAs...**

Perhaps not all of them, but my Codex says that they are revered by their brethren ;-)

Mine says the same thing, but read the novels and tell me thats the case.. ;)

No, I can see some who would accept the mark and go out in a blaze of glory. I can also see some who would see the mark in their future and wish to die before that happens.

On one hand Wulfen are incredible warriors able to take on many times their own number in combat and shrug off horrendus wounds. Their speed and savagery is incredible and thus they must be respected for their warrior powers.

On the other hand Wulfen are unstable, possibly turning even on their friends in the midst of battle and unsuited for tactical finesse. Their savagery limits their abilities to get the job done anywhere but the field of battle and irradicates any life they might have outside of the mellee and thus they must be pitied for their insanity.

Id say its alot like looking at a viking beserker from another vikings point of veiw.... imagine that? Atleast most beserkers could control themselves outside of a battlefield.... a full wulfen cant even do that.

I think it would be cool to model WG with a Power Weapon and Storm Shield. The Power Weapon could be in the form of a short spear with a long blade. The SS should be decorated heaviliy with skins and pelts. Could be very "Conan-esq" models. Would be very cool.

I suppose if you wanted Thunder hammers, they could be made from warhammers or maces to acheive a similar effect, but I think the short spear would really set the models off.

Trying to do something that gives them a distinct look. I want what are, in all honesty, a 'throw-away' model to look like he belongs there, not just something I threw together to give the squad an extra storm shield.

A plastic arm with a magnet in the wrist might do it. Then I could either do a power weapon (for games where I have points), or a plasma pistol, or a BP (for games where I dont have points).

Are there plastic storm shields for power armor troops out yet?

What I like to do for PA guys is take the little doors that go on the top of the rhino... the little round ones? Yeah, and then line it up so the three little dots are on the bottom and put the Space Wolf symbol from either the upgrade sprue or the drop pod onto it, oriented with the bottom at the middle of the three little holes. Then I sand the hell out of the back....

Some people think its a little small, but I get a number of compliments on it too.

Archived