allies

The emperors chosen

I collect Witch Hunters and I was curious, who should I ally with, marines, or demon Hunters, I like that variety of the Marines, but Grey Knights are the best in close combat,something my army is lacking in, check the army list section for my army, and please respond, thanks.

(If I ally with te Marines, they would be the "Parent" list)

I agree, A quick question, could I paint my normal marines in the grey knight colors, i think it would look cool,but i dont want people thinking that they actuall are grey knights. (yes, i know that Grey Knights dont use bolters)

Once i get the codesx,i amy include a squad or two of Power armored knights, i think they would be a good assault force.

Just to clear up the allies rules. There are two options: start with a sisters base and ally something else in, or start with another army as your base and ally the sisters in. There are separate rules for each. The rules for the former (WH base) are on page 26 of your codex. The rules for the latter (other base) are on page 25. Note: if you want to use Sisters of Battle, you cannot ally Space Marines into a Witch Hunters base army. However, you can use a Space Marines base army and ally Sisters into that. Don't ask me why it works like that; I don't write the rules. :rolleyes:

Grey Knights are not the best in close combat, at least not point-for-point. They're good, don't get me wrong, but they're also very expensive and a lot of that cost goes towards non-combat things like The Shrouding and Storm Bolters and such. If you really want close combat power, use a Space Marine base and ally your sisters in to that. Again, bear in mind that I play Grey Knights, I love them to death, and they are good for a great many things. There are certainly good reasons to use them in a sisters list. All I'm saying is that outstanding CC ability isn't one of them. ;)

Grey Knights are an all around warrior. Move them with your sisters, and fire their storm-bolter shots all the way. Unload and then charge the knights in after your sisters blow their load. There storm-bolters are nothing to slouch at either. Another option is to use them as a counter charge, which they can do while firing their stormbolters the entire way.

thsnks, If I ally with the grey knights, then the itch hunters will be the base army, so if i want, i can use the exorcist

Precisely! :(

Edit: Actually, you can ally Sisters with Witch Hunters in either of the two ways I mentioned before. That is, you can have either a WH or a DH base army, and ally units from the other into it. However, if you want Exorcists, you can only take them in a WH army. So in that case, your only option is to ally the Grey Knights in to the WH army. Make sense?

Basicly...

If C:WH is your base, you can use heavy support options from C:WH

If C:DH is your base, you can use heavy support options from C:DH

Well... sort of. I mean, the above information is accurate, but it isn't the whole story. Whether you have a base WH or DH army will also affect how many units from each codex you may take. To be safe, just go read the actual rules for allies in your codex on the pages I mentioned before.

Just to clarify, you can take upto 1 HQ, 2 Troop, 1 Elite and 1 Fast Attack option from your allied list, no Heavy Support, which is why you use the WH as a base to get those Exorcists.

I currently have a pure GK army, but I also have a number of sisters, I have been giving serious consideration to forking out for an Exorcist or two and building a combined force of SoB and GK, sorry but I do not like =][=

• 3 weeks later...

hi all. first time posting here. a lot of great info in these threads. thanks a bunch.

i play GK and have been interested in allying with some sisters but was told that i couldnt, i have even asked at the local GW store and was denied. in reading this topic it seems that it can be done. i have not found anything in either of their codexes that states specifically that i cant. what gives?.......thanks for any help

Page 25 of Codex: Witch Hunters

"Using Witch Hunters as Allies"

To paraphrase: It lists these three factions:

Space Marines (including varinat armies)

Imperial Guard(including variant armies)

Daemonhunters

You may ally in:

0-1 HQ choice

0-1 Elite choice

0-2 Troops choices

0-1 Fast Attack choice

Troops choices do not count for compulsory choices, nor are there compulsory choices for allying in units from C:WH. A force cannot ally in both Sisters and Grey Knights, although Sisters can ally in Grey Knights and the other way around.

Page 25 of Codex: Witch Hunters

"Using Witch Hunters as Allies"

To paraphrase: It lists these three factions:

Space Marines (including varinat armies)

Imperial Guard(including variant armies)

Daemonhunters

You may ally in:

0-1 HQ choice

0-1 Elite choice

0-2 Troops choices

0-1 Fast Attack choice

Troops choices do not count for compulsory choices, nor are there compulsory choices for allying in units from C:WH. A force cannot ally in both Sisters and Grey Knights, although Sisters can ally in Grey Knights and the other way around.

Now I get it...in the book it says you can't use SOB if grey knights are present...they mean in another army such as IG....you would think they would word it better <_<

okay, where does it say in codex dh that sob may not be used if gk are present? i thought i had read that before but cant seem to find it now. if it does state that, does it pertain only to when gk are allying with another force, or does it really mean that sob may not ally with gk in a daemonhunters army, and vice versa?

sorry, i am just a bit confused on this since i have been told in the past by gw employees that sob may not ally with my gk, and now i am reading (happily of course) that it is legal.

kennedy Posted Today, 04:06 PM

okay, where does it say in codex dh that sob may not be used if gk are present?

It doesn't, as far as I can see. In both it states under the Allied Space Marines entry that "Allied Space Marines may not be used if any Adepta Sororitas units/Grey Knights are present . . ." (p21 for C:DH, p25 for C:WH). I can't find anything that says SoB and GKs can't be combined.

They may be referring to a line that says "you may not ally in Daemonhunters if other allies are present"... which in FAQ's was explained to really mean.. an ally that wasn't another branch of the Inquisition. This meant things like Kroot Mercenaries and the like.

You CAN have say, a Space Marine army.. then ally in Witch Hunters forces, and also ally in Daemon Hunters forces.

Download all the FAQ's from the GW website. You can do it, and the guys at the local store were incorrect. They may also have mixed up the rules for Inducted forces with allies.

There IS a line that says if Inducted Space Marines are present in a Witch Hunters force, Sisters of Battle may not be used. This has nothing to do with allying Sisters of Battle to your Grey Knights army. If they try to be retards, hit them with your dice bag :P

thanks for the info. i also just came across a picture in the wh codex on pg 61 of a gk force with allied sob---picture says a 1000 words i guess. cant wait to talk to the gw boys(a handfull of which are in our gaming group) with some real info.........thanks again

Witch Hunters Codex under Using WH with other army lists it says, "Allied Space Marines may not be used if any Adepta Sororita units are preasent in the witch hunters force". By the Authority of the Almighty Emperor of Mankind.

That is the bit that confuses everyone, the same passage is in the DH codex too.

It is misleading, I'll download the FAQ and read them too.

Note the term: "Allied Space Marines" and "Witch Hunters Force".

A "Witch Hunters Force" is a force whose base units use Codex: Witch Hunters.

"Allied Space Marines" are Space Marines which are in the army via the Allies rule.

Not really confusing if you look at it more closely.

Try this:

A SoB army as your base then add Vulken from the salamanders space marines, add him to a squad of Vanguad with all those combi weapons.

Suddenly all your melta guns, flamers, multi meltas and heavy flamers all become twin linked, and thunder hammers become master crafted.

Now the only problem is that they dont have a miniature out for Vulken yet.

Try this:

A SoB army as your base then add Vulken from the salamanders space marines, add him to a squad of Vanguad with all those combi weapons.

Suddenly all your melta guns, flamers, multi meltas and heavy flamers all become twin linked, and thunder hammers become master crafted.

Now the only problem is that they dont have a miniature out for Vulken yet.

i thought you couldnt ally marines into a sob based army?

You can't.

You would have to take a base Marine army and then add in Sisters. This means one HQ, one elite, two troops, one fast attack at max.

This means.. 4 heavy flamers and 8 flamers. That is...

Canoness + Retinue: Heavy Flamer / Flamer

Celestians: Heavy Flamer / Flamer

2xBattle Sisters: Heavy Flamer / Flamer

Dominians: 4xFlamers

That's the most you could include from the Sisters as far as flamers go. You would probably also be best off using 2xflamer instead of HF+F, for the purposes of rolling more sixes and getting more re-rolls from master-crafting, thus getting more AP1 shots from Divine Guidance-- but your mileage may vary.

Archived