Space Wolves/Marines overpowered?

saphius

Well, the OP stated that he has known his friend for over ten years. Girlfriends (and even wives) can come and go, but a good gaming buddy is worth holding on to...

I would never intentionally lose a fight, but I would try to equalize things as much as possible.

Warprat ;)

No one likes to loose game after game to an opponent, especially when they feel they have tailored their army to beat a specific list and still come up short. When you have a regular opponent faced with such a fate, it very difficult for them to accept advise or suggestions when they feel they have already given it their all. This is human nature and very very few are not affected by such defeatism.

There have been many good suggestions on how to handle the situation, but for those that have suggested to find new friends or stop playing him, I fear are offering some poor advise. Having a few good friends that play 40k is a treasure worth keeping. In addition you are doing them no favors by dumbing down your list or buffing up theirs with extra points, that just aggravates the situation. Sure have some fun with trying out new units and tactics, but do not do it with the intentions of handicapping yourself.

Switching armies is great in theory, but more than likely they will not take you up on it, if they do more power to both of ya as its a great learning situation.

I made the suggestion before and will do it again, tell them you would like to help build a list with them and that you promise you will give up your secrets. Telling him what you fear and what has caused you the most pain. This allows you to offer some advice away from the battlefield, which should help with it being accepted.

Some thoughts for ya

WG Vrox.

Edit spelling

I made the suggestion before and will do it again, tell them you would like to help build a list with them and that you promise you will give up your secrets. Telling him what you fear and what has caused you the most pain.

but isnt all that obvious after reading a dex . you sit down and the lists are just there . there are no secrets to play w40k [specially when in most cases there is like 1 or 2 army builds that work out of a dex]. maybe someone just isnt made to be a w40k player . I understand losing a few times or playing against a match up that is just too tough to win [ mecha eldar vs a pure khorn army in the 4th to make an example] , but losing 20 times or always ? that smells of someone who is one of them fluff players . better leave them to play against each other with their weak armies and join a nice tournament sceen .

There have been many good suggestions on how to handle the situation, but for those that have suggested to find new friends or stop playing him, I fear are offering some poor advise. Having a few good friends that play 40k is a treasure worth keeping.

While I agree with you vrox, these people are not 'good friends' by any definition I know of.

I have good friends I play with. They will rib me a bit about how 'broken' or 'cheesey' the wolves are, and I give it right back to them about whatever army they play. We have a laugh, we play a game. I have a friend of almost 5 years that in all the games we have played, his Dark Angels vs my Space Wolves, he has won ONE game. Yet never once has he seriously gone on about how its because the army is broken, blah blah blah.

These people are not worth treasuring, at least not as they have been described here. They sound like a bunch of kids, angry that they lost, and unable to cope with the fact that they are the reason they cant win. Or, maybe Jeske is right, and they just are not cut out for the game.

Either way, its not worth putting up with that just to hold on to a few people. There are Gaming Buddies, and then there are the guys you happen to play with. These guys sound like the latter.

I've just come to accept that the friend I was having the most trouble with, is very competative but refuses to do what it takes to win...

I've offered to switch armies and he refuses. I've tried showing him how to exploit me, and build a better army, but he argues it's not as 'cool' as the one he field. - Which is true, but if your going to complain about winning then field something more competative.

The other night after winning that game being down 500pts, and allowing Orks in pods, (The game was 2700 vs 2200, we've been doing a campaign so someone being slightly down points is common, this was the biggest spread so far though) he bashed me when I beat another friend of mine and started saying how overpowered Marines are, and how Wolves are even worse because we get the best of third edition and the best of fifth. And that no army should be able to win when down that much taking Ork charges out of pods, ect. ect. (Granted I took the toughest list I could think of, but I felt totally justified with what I was facing, including the 4 Ork special Characters and 23 Powerfists).

Well after the argument, the friend that I beat agreed that Marines aren't 'Overpowered' He just thought they were slightly better than most armies, but not all - to which I agree, mostly because they have been 'built' for 5th edition. But the one I was butting heads with the most I just straight up told him: "I'm better than you, deal with it." We didn't argue after that... I think everything will be fine, just might have to be a little patient with someone who is a great friend, but still very competative and not so willing to do what it takes to win.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, some of them have helped, and may still help if he keeps whining, but for now I might just let him get in a few wins against other people and bring him back down with a good spanking.

Oh, I know that type. They have the most "awesome" list ever, thinking its a cool list with cool units, not realizing that its not very effective with the rules. Generally they read the novels and wonder why their lone fire warrior cant take down a Titan (from the novel "Fire Warrior"). :huh:

Glad you got it straightened out.

Archived