Pre-Heresy Luna Wolf

OwlandMoonGuy

Redundant or no, here’s my first take on the subject:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/Pre-H%20Research/00-TestLW-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/Pre-H%20Research/01-TestLW-2.jpg

As far as pre-h is concerned, all marines in the army will incorporate the following bits:

Mark IV chest piece

Studded left shoulder pad

Right shoulder w/legion decals

Crusader helmet (I know there are better choices but that’s what I have to work with)

Plain case bolter w/kill strokes

The legs really should have the solid grieve with the squared off knee pads but I believe that will make the force look too static. The Horus Heresy books show the Wolves with rounded knee pads so there’s all the justification I need. I will be adding squad marking to the right knee but I need to do a little more homework there.

That being said, I’m not 100% pleased with how he turned out. He looks a bit bland to me.

So what say you, PC&A community? Any C&C for me?

-OMG

Could be the lighting but I think he looks a bit too blue for Luna Wolves.

Sure you can comment and it’s welcome. WL’s are supposed to be, “off-white” which I took to mean, “really light grey.” The poor lighting in the pic is working against me here but still, I’m getting the idea that it’s not light colored enough.

Possibly paint his shoulder guard trim black, with red script similar to the book cover?

Very true and there’s a lot of other, “Insignia Astartes” details that could be added as well: Knee pad markings, more red scratch/kill-markes, etc. I really should get those plans set to put the finishing touches on this guy.

honnestly i m in love with your basing skills.Care to share your secret????

:) The base on this guy? It’s just a piece of diamond plate plasticard cut into a circle and primed white. I left it undone as it will be part of a display base and I want the colors to be 100% consistent.

Maybe you mean my Dameons or my Angels Sanguine?

Thanks for the comments all. I’m going to try to post an update here in the next few days.

With all the work required maybe some PC&A mod should whack this thread over into the WIP forum. Oh, why bother? We’ll just call this a multiple completed models thread and keep things all copacetic.

Cheers, -OMG

I think he looks flat rather than dull OMG. You've got a very uniform colour for the armour there and it looks almost flat, I can see individual highlights and shades but somehow they're not tied together cohesively. I think the shading might be too obvious and the highlighting not obvious enough. That's been a strength of much of your work previously, your reds have been great examples of contrasting yet cohesive shades and highlights and that 'OMG touch' seems to be missing from this model. Maybe that's the indefinable thing bugging you?

How to fix that on such a light model I'm not sure. Personally I'd look more towards a grey/green tone than a blue/grey one, the blue is too close to white for simple highlights to work I think, whereas if you had a greener base then lighter highlights might be easier to work with. Maybe something along the lines of a Duck Egg Blue colour? It's a greenish-bluish-greyish-off-whitish tone, used for the undersides of Royal Air Force aircraft for much of the Second World War which is where I came across it back in my youth as an aircraft modeller, it might be a base colour that'd be easier to shade and easier to highlight.

If you stuck with the blue then a more time consuming approach with more tinting/washing or blending techniques to build up that light colour whilst retaining depth might be the answer. I suppose you could try to shortcut it with a darker base too, that might work. Start darker and use the current base colour as a fairly broad second last highlight maybe?

My thanks for all the replies. After diving back into the text, Horus rising does use the terms, white & pearl-white to describe the LW's armor. I've got another color palate in mind that ranges from Vallejo London Grey, (more monochrome) to Sky Grey (more blue) to Ivory for the highlights. that will leave me the option of going stark white on the topmost edges.

I'm going to give this a try and see how it works out. That may also put me back in the range were I could do some battle damage but really I find that less indicative of a pre-h army. Pre-Heresy I envision near limitless resources with everything perfectly cleaned & repaired before any given battle. Still, in all my former marine models I had to at least put some dust on their boots. A soldier's job is in the rough and that should find its way to the modeling as well.

Thanks again. Expect attempt #2 here in short order (after I make a trip to the hobby store).

Cheers, -OMG

:tu: The base on this guy? It’s just a piece of diamond plate plasticard cut into a circle and primed white. I left it undone as it will be part of a display base and I want the colors to be 100% consistent.

:P Ermmm.it exist such a thing???I am still fighting to find a decent base and this one looks fantastic....Wow you are an eye opener :)

Archived