Arbite and stormtrooper sergents

Mosk

Are you dead-set on using a Stormtrooper sergeant at all? He's a pretty big point sink, and giving him equipment from the armory is generally seen as a waste with the exception to a plasma pistol (though it's hard to justify spending so many points for just one more plasma shot a turn). Most people run IST squads without a sergeant.

Maybe a combi weapon and melta bombs to compliment the squad's armament. Plus, the sergeant gets a bolter over the hellgun. If one must take a sergeant, make him a 'wildcard'. Something to boost the squad's capabilities and allow give them an extra edge against troublesome foes. Without investing too many points.

I once ran a vet with lightening claws and a refractor field just to throw off my opponent. It worked once but the next time he just hit the squad with massed fire and killed them. Its a one time per opponent trick if your playing smart people.

Maybe a combi weapon and melta bombs to compliment the squad's armament. Plus, the sergeant gets a bolter over the hellgun. If one must take a sergeant, make him a 'wildcard'. Something to boost the squad's capabilities and allow give them an extra edge against troublesome foes. Without investing too many points.

If you got the points I think combi-weapons would work best for ya. In the DH hunter codex they can even take combi-grenade launchers =P

Strategy permitting, Storm Trooper Veterans gain access to a few more interesting equipment pieces that Imperial Guard Troopers would mug an Inquisitor for. There must be times where that is an advantage. Teleport Homer for Deepstriking Grey Knights maybe. A Powerfist/Hammer to give them a small counter attack punch whilst trying to hold ground.

A combi weapon or storm bolter would probably be the most useful though. Cheapish and playing to the squad's strengths.

Strategy permitting, Storm Trooper Veterans gain access to a few more interesting equipment pieces that Imperial Guard Troopers would mug an Inquisitor for. There must be times where that is an advantage. Teleport Homer for Deepstriking Grey Knights maybe. A Powerfist/Hammer to give them a small counter attack punch whilst trying to hold ground.

A combi weapon or storm bolter would probably be the most useful though. Cheapish and playing to the squad's strengths.

Actually, the homer doesn't work anymore because the wording is specific in that the template must touch the model with the homer and well...you no longer use a template for deep strike. Lame.

However, true that for the crazy good war gear options. I am very tempted to model up one of those 120pt Sergeants with Lighting claws and artificer armour and refractor field and melta bombs and etc, stick it in one of the games I play so my opponent can be like, "???" and I go, "It's totally legal...trust me." Anyway, yeah, combi weapons are sick but if anything, give him a bolter cause it is cheap and better than a hellgun.

When the sergeant is worth more than the entire unit... or a single vehicle... there's a problem xD. That said 2 lightning claws would spell out hilarious on your opponents face. Lightning claw and a plasma pistol rounds him out to 75 while still dishing out damage. Why you would give a sergent anything to keep him alive longer is beyond me though.

Well, with the new wound allocation, I can see armour upgrades for single models as useful in general/ I would not go overboard with Storm Troopers myself, though.

I can see the need to keep squads cheap, to get the numbers in, though I think taking advantage of that armoury is a bonus ver the average Storm Trooper, as befits the elite troops of the Inquisition. Pick carefully for the role that unit is to perform.

I would like to see an actual modelled veteran with some of these upgrades though, particularly the lightning claws.

I don't upgrade them.

If I want special flavour in the unit, I can have them joined by a lone Inquisitor, which is multi wound with a better stat line for double the points of a Sergeant.

I admit, I've not put much thought about how making a Stormtrooper Sarge more viable and I've been reading the thread interestedly for any pointers on how to make more and better use of them.

So far, I've not seen something that would make me want to spent points on gearing him up, but I've toyed with this:

1) Give him purity seals. So that when they do get into close combat (and loose) they have a better chance of getting away and firing next turn. Also give him some Power-Armour or Artificer Armour, so chances are he will survive for one more round of close combat. Expensive. For those points, you will get....3 more troopers or so?

2) Give him a Bolter-Flamer with two more flamers (Flamer-Retinues on Inquisitors are still better imo). Also expensive.

No matter how I twist and turn, I find if I leave him out, I can field more stormtroopers and tool out my Inquisitors / generally save points.

I think I should probably try out super-sarges, but I might be very disappointed. It just doesn't zing for me - but I think it's totally James Bond and Mission Impossible-ish..and fluffy. So I might try this next game after all.

"Is that an honour guard marine with your Kasrkin?"

"No, it's their buffed-up, power-armored Sergeant with twin lightning-claws."

"You're crazy."

"No, I'm the Inquisition."

*snigg*snagg*

I've had luck with the power weapon/pistol combo with a Vet, with the additional melee attack. That's 3 or 4 melee attacks with a power weapon depending, which helps tip the odds into the Stormies favor when they get charged. It could just be my string of opponents I often play, but those power weapon hits have always helped me a lot. I still don't try to charge things, but it's added insurance for when it happens.

That and as a Fantasy vet I still always give units veteran commanders as a matter of course.. it pays off for me more often than not, but that's just how I do things.

Archived