flame template over 2 units

AnthonyVG

I am running simulations and I have run into a problem that has occured after GoI'ing behind an enemy:

I GoI'd a termie librarian, scattered WELL behind my enemy but close enough to flame two different units of imperial guard. I placed my flame template over the first squad (IG command squad) to hit the second squad(squad A of platoon 1), then fired with the rest of my tac marines, sarge with sb, and librarian after the back squad, giving them cover saves as appropriate.

For the life of me I cannot find two peices of information:

1. 5e rules don't require a leadership test to shoot through them, only grant them 4+ cover save, correct?
  2. Since I shot at the back unit, but I also hit the unit directly in front of me, but wounds were not allocated to that unit, can I assualt that unit, or must I try to assault the back unit, which wouldn't work since they are outside 6"?

Just checking before I actually play my cousin in what will my first and his first 40k game.

First and foremost you need to do your best to align the flame template to cover as much of the unit you are targetting as possible. IE, you can't hit just one guy just so you can hit the other unit, too. So you still shoot at the back unit in this case, but if you happen to hit the front unit then they take wounds as normal.

#1 you are correct. Only Templar still need to make target priority checks. Everyone else just chooses a unit to shoot.

#2 You must try to assault the unit that you targetted. In this case it'd be the back unit and if you could not assault them then you cannot assault at all.

Also note, if you rapid fire then you cannot assault anyways. I only mention this because you said you opened fire with tactical marines. I'm assuming you are using the bolt pistols, but if you use the bolters then you cannot assault no matter what.

Mordekiem,

I was hoping to completely destroy the back squad, thus assault the front squad, I chose not to rapid fire as the template hit 7 of 10 men in the back, killing 6, I was hoping my 9 remaining shots would be enough to kill a mere 4 IG -.-;;

Thank you both however.

Mordekiem,

I was hoping to completely destroy the back squad, thus assault the front squad, I chose not to rapid fire as the template hit 7 of 10 men in the back, killing 6, I was hoping my 9 remaining shots would be enough to kill a mere 4 IG -.-;;

Thank you both however.

Good idea! But as you see it won't work.

I've been stuck many a time when I shot something and destroyed it so could not assault. Part of the tactical choices you have to make.

However, you can assault multiple units, as long as you contact the unit you targeted in the shooting phase first and your assaulting models all keep unit coherency. But since you squad was just deployed via the deep strike rules they could not assault anyway.

However, you can assault multiple units, as long as you contact the unit you targeted in the shooting phase first and your assaulting models all keep unit coherency. But since you squad was just deployed via the deep strike rules they could not assault anyway.

Good catch, equally good to know!

Archived