813pt Grey Knight Army

BrianBlessed

I usually think its a bit dumb asking what units to buy next? or even worse what army should I play? because its a matter of personal choice.

But with the grey knights I've reached a bit of a standstill, the problem is I've already bought pretty much the entire GK range and I've only just scratched the surface.

Grand master (stern) and retinue of 3 GKT with 1 psycannon,

7 GK's in power armour + justicar and psycannon,

1 Land Raider Crusader.

813pts, 12 models.

Its pretty obvious I need more troops choices, but what is gonna make this army more competitive? I think the stromtroopers look cool but I'd prefer to keep the whole army in power armour.

Your suggestions?

I would add Incinerators to your spearhead (LRC/GM)

Then I would add a LR for anti-tank. Add some Grey Knights w/ Incinerators inside.

Then from that point add Grey Knights Vanilla and use the LR/LRC as cover.

Then possibly add a dreadnought to join spearhead/Antitank (Multi-Melta)

Then do some cool conversions and painting.

I'm all Water Style.

1. Get another Troops choice: Boxed set of GK will bring you to 12 GK I think.

2. Being strong supporter of Land Raiders, I'd say get two, that should last you a long fun while, or get 3 LRs for pure Water.

If you want to go pure GK, that's the setup I would suggest. As your playstyle evolves, you might want to stock up on Psycannons/Incinerators as you see fit. I favour tourney-lists to geared lists, I have 3 spare Psycannons and 1 spare incinerators.

(I use Incinerators more than

If you want to stay all power armour, you can include Inquisitors without retinues and tool them up, then have them join your GKs.

More special weapons. I find I have no points left to squeeze an Inquisitor in, but when I'm able to, they perform alright.

Personally I prefer LR's to dreadnoughts, they provide so many more advantages i.e. cargo protection similar A.t. etc.

1 Dreadnought is certainly cool though!

Incinerators are best used from a LR. Sometimes faster moving armies will not allow you to make use of the Incinerators on foot... They're great against all those things that are fast, Genestealer, Seer Council, Orks etc...

How do incinerators fare in-game? I don't have any in my army yet, just because they're aren't any in the blisters I've bought.

It depends on how you plan to deliver your Grey Knights. If you plan on footslogging them, then Psycannons will just plain kill more enemies than Incinerators will. However, if you're mounting your Grey Knights in a Land Raider, then I find Incinerators to be required equipment - field as many as you can in each Raider. That way, when the Raider tank shocks something that is Fearless or passes its Leadership Test, they are pushed into a nice, neat line alongside the mighty tank. Then, you just disembark your troops and lay those flamer templates down along the whole line of enemies. With two Incinerators in a Grey Knight squad in a Land Raider, I've managed to account for twenty three dead orcs in just one shooting phase - and that's before the Storm Bolters opened fire! On average, after a tank shock, I find my Incinerators kill four to six enemies each, which is more than worth their cost.

On foot, however, the maybe one shot you'll get from the Incinerator just isn't a match for concentrated Psycannon firepower. So, decide how your brave Knights will be getting to the fight, and decide from there. Good luck! ;)

Archived