The sign of the Cog

Focslain

Ok, this question has bugged me for a while, so I figure I’d ask about it.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do the ‘sign of the cog’. It’s the jester that the cogboys make when praising the omnimassih or in greeting (much like their more human counterparts make the sign of the Aquilla).

If you know where I might find a description of it or know how, please enlighten me.

I've never read this reference, it's probably from some pseudo canon black library.

Cynic that I am, if I had to guess, I'd wager that it can't be done with ordinary hands and would require Mechandrites or similar to pull off.

I've never read this reference, it's probably from some pseudo canon black library.

Cynic that I am, if I had to guess, I'd wager that it can't be done with ordinary hands and would require Mechandrites or similar to pull off.

I thought that too, though in the book I'm reading now Scourge the Heretic and in Caves of Ice I saw references of adepts without mechandrites make the symbol with thier hands, which lead me to believe that it can be done by 'normal' humans. Just that there is no description of the motion. Unlike the aquilla (reference almost everywhere) and the Eagle's Wing (the Cain novels and Blind) which are described in detail.

Just a random idea from someone who doesn't know that much about the Adeptus Mechanicus, but perhaps it is made by interlocking the fingers, representing the teeth of two cogs interlocking? I've no backup for this idea, just thought of it while reading this thread.

That actually makes sense in a way, carefully interlocking your fingers with a bow, much like some monks would greet each other in silence…. Well it’s a start until a more official example or explanation is give.

Just a random idea from someone who doesn't know that much about the Adeptus Mechanicus, but perhaps it is made by interlocking the fingers, representing the teeth of two cogs interlocking? I've no backup for this idea, just thought of it while reading this thread.

That was my understanding of it--also mentioned in Titanicus, where an 'unmodified' human is trying to make the sign as a gesture of goodwill.

It's described pretty well in Titanicus, if I recall correctly. Bend the fingers, and then interlock them, so your palms are facing you. One hand is supposed to be higher than the other, but I don't recall which one off the top of my head.

It's described pretty well in Titanicus, if I recall correctly. Bend the fingers, and then interlock them, so your palms are facing you. One hand is supposed to be higher than the other, but I don't recall which one off the top of my head.

Sweet! BL confirmation. Will have to pick up that book after I read Mechanium.

Thank you all for your help, *makes the sign of the cog* may the Omnimessiah bless your cogiators.

My understanding was take your left hand, open, facing the floor. Put your right over the left in the same manner, then close the grip. But it might also be the same way just facing your chest. Can't remember exactly, Titanicus definitely has the best description of it, and I'm not sure where to find it off hand in the book.

Archived