How do you kill Monoliths?

Tsepha

Vindicator is your best bet I'd say. S10 with reroll to penetration should knock it out quickly. That being said, that same pie plate could go a long way to busting up some Warriors.

Barring that, S10 Walkers like Dreadnoughts and Defilers are doable, they have the number of attacks to help compensate for the hitting a Skimmer issue. Same with Furious Charging Power Fists, S9 will help out.

If you don't have those, yep LasCannons, hopefully TL'd will work. Don't wasting time hitting with anything less than S9, all those other hits could be better spent on the Warriors and Destroyers and such.

Ultimately, if your concentrating on a 'lith, your in trouble.

There is NO reliable way of taking these bad boys down, heck the best weapon in the game can only pen on a 5+ and then there is no bonuses to the pen chart against them either.... Melta doesn't work, lance doesn't work, basically all standard effective AT stragety fails against this one.

My advice, get a dread in there, tie it up while you kill the necrons, beat it by making it phase out.

Actually the railgun does get a bonus on the chart of +1. Living metal negates any extra d6 toward armor pen. So the rail gun pens on a 5, then kills on a 4+ so thats 1/3 *1/2 = 1/6... still not great.

Lysander would be pretty good imho. With 4 attacks on the charge, hitting half the time (since lith can only move 6 at most) hes getting essentially 2 rail gun hits (str 10 and +1 on the chart), so thats a 1/3 chance its toast. which is about as good as your gonna get.

how about Sicarius and Vulkan He'stan with a tac squad with melta gun and multi-melta and possibly a combi melta. You have 3 twin-linked Str 9 shots that are AP 1. Another idea is Vulkan He'stan with Lysander, makes his hammer masterwork.

Since he gets to use it as a master crafted hammer I would hope so.

Personally I find it something of a problem to have such high cost characters to kill of a single model, lets face it, they would be far more effective in a decent combat based vet squad ripping those tin cans apart.

I am a firm believer than fircing a phase out is the easiest way to get rid of 'liths.

I am a firm believer than fircing a phase out is the easiest way to get rid of 'liths.

Agreed, but a smart Necron player knows this and I wouldn't be surprised if does a pretty good job of shielding his weaker units with a giant hunk of plastic like the Monolith, so its still good to know how best to kill it if you must.

Im not entirely familiar with the 'cron dex, but I have read it a couple of times, I thought the rule read only 1 dice may be rolled for armour pen, which would make meltabombs as redundant as missile launchers.

Im not entirely familiar with the 'cron dex, but I have read it a couple of times, I thought the rule read only 1 dice may be rolled for armour pen, which would make meltabombs as redundant as missile launchers.

I've heard the issue from both sides, it has to do with the exact wording of the "Living Metal" rule and the Meltabombs. I'd play it that Meltabombs don't get the extra dice but it can be argued either way.

Thats why if you want to bust one, focus on S9+ weapons with no modifiers.

Meltabombs work because the rules for using grenades against vehicles do not follow the same guidelines as shooting or assault attacks. There's no identified strength, just a set of numbers given for determining penetration. Melta bombs also do not use 'melta' rules, so no ap1 advantage, but no way to justify dice reduction either.

Actually the Str is identified, its 4 for assault/defensive greenades, 6 for krak and 8 for melta, but thats besides the point. If you can only roll 1 dice for armour pen, and codex trumps rule book, then meltabombs only get 1D6 pen against the 'lith.

how about Sicarius and Vulkan He'stan with a tac squad with melta gun and multi-melta and possibly a combi melta. You have 3 twin-linked Str 9 shots that are AP 1. Another idea is Vulkan He'stan with Lysander, makes his hammer masterwork.

I may be wrong here since I'm on vacation and don't have my Necron codex with me but.........Since when does living metal make tank hunters useless? Tank hunters adds 1 to your penetration roll. Hence you still only roll 1 die. Living metal will not let you roll more than one die which the tank hunter unit is not doing.

Bravo

Actually the Str is identified, its 4 for assault/defensive greenades, 6 for krak and 8 for melta, but thats besides the point. If you can only roll 1 dice for armour pen, and codex trumps rule book, then meltabombs only get 1D6 pen against the 'lith.

Are you talking about the box on page 63? That says that their armour penetration is 4, 6 and 8 plus the appropriate number of D6s. It never says "Strength". I didn't see anything about it on page 36, and those two spots are really the only places I found in the index for grenades.

Don't get thi issue off topic. I don't have the link but I'm sure that there was an issue in B&C if Melta Bombs work against Monolith or not.

Now for the basic question, Lysander is great, Vindicator is great but I think one weapon that no-one has said yet is MoF:s conversion beamer. The only problem is to have a large enough table to make it S10 AP1... Convert it on bike, get it a CB and move 12" and then shoot.

Also Ironclad Seismic Hammer is goooooooodneeeeess.

The best Monolith killer I have seen in the game (so far) has been the Death Company Furioso Dreadnought from the Blood Angels list. They don't have seismic hammers, but they do have a fairly good bang for their buck. 3 attacks base+1 for the charge+d3 for Death Company. You've got anywhere between 5-7 s10 attacks. Dang good in my opinion. In my career against the Necron xenos, I've taken down three with my Venerated Brother, which makes me wish I'd start painting kills on him.

I would go with the predator annihilator myself; it is nearly impossible to screen a monolith given the size, even with terrain, and there's nothing like pounding on the sucker with three lascannons from a single predator at extreme range. Good value for the points in terms of monolith killing at range.

Land Raiders (standard variety) are also solid.

i did read about this but theres something i got to question, in the 'dex it says clearly that: 'the attacker uses his base strength plus D6'. now to me that said power fists, and the like were useless along with lance weapons as it stated. low and behold errata blasting apart the word 'base' that actually means you can modify the strength as multiplying works but addition doesn't. anyway monoliths are weak against massed anti-tank equipment anyway, so you should ignore them, just force him to use the crystals to re-roll his warriors WBB and you shouldn't be worried. and even then if he doesn't then that means hes losing warriors so ether way just work on phase out, theres only so much a monolith can shield (and even then take)

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that two Vindicators pretty much guarantee a dead monolith. It's so big you should be able to shoot it from almost anywhere, and because the base is so big, it's takes about a 5" scatter to actually miss. Two shots should get you two hits, one penetrates (55% chance each) then pray. If you manage two damaging hits (roughly 20-30%) you should at least immobilize it, which helps out a lot... auto-hit Powerfist and Melta-bombs, and you can clog the gate. Also, any turn it's trying to shoot back it's not ressurecting Necrons, which will help out a lot towards achieving Phase Out.

Phase Out should be your goal if you face a Monolith anyway... those things take 12-15 Necrons off the table you don't have to kill. I know I'd be better of obliterating bots with the Demolisher, but it's just so much FUN to blow up your opponent's precious monolith on turn 1! Yes, I've done that twice.

Vindicators and ironclads are your best shots...

Ironclads are insanely good at it... and normal necrons as well!!

I dont always agree with going for the necrons for phase out and ignoring a monolith.. that thing with a good deep strike is painful and its ability to keep necrons alive can prove more painful than the 15 or so necrons worth of points.. If you want a phase out... you do it with assault.. not demolishers!! No res roll for an overrun!!! ever!!

I dont always agree with going for the necrons for phase out and ignoring a monolith..

Alot of smarter Necron players will figure out their Phase Out number and then hide that amount of Necron units away in a corner. This means that unless you can cross their entire battle line, you won't be able to target them and can't achieve a Phase Out.

It also means you're fighting less Necron overall, but many people will play with fewer models (in essence) to be protected against Phase Out.

Archived