Representing Chosen

Maleficum

So, I read somewere (warseer?) that someone was going to model their chosen. Then someone piped in mentioning that they was very happy with their own. I've always used "regular" chaos space marines, only with more champions (I haven't played in 5th). Is there something about the new chosen I've missed? (I know they only got 'infiltrate' and the ability to take more special weapons/special ccws.)

I haven't read the fluff part, and going to bed soon, so will read then...

Questions:

1. How do you represent your chosen?

(or if you think them be crap, how would you model them?)

2. Is there a specific way they should be modelled?

3. OK, so I had to read it... is it me or are chosen so bland that a rippers would spit them out 'thinking' they have no biomass? Whatever happened to the Chosen beeing champions of chaos that had foreseen their deaths? Last codex they were at least cool. (And regular CSM could infiltrate...) :huh:

5th Chosen are not the Champions of old, they are now CSM with the ability to infiltrate + take more special & heavy weapons.

Nothing more. (sadly) :huh:

It's no excuse not to convert them up as they should be represented however, each one a warlord in his own right!

Edit: GW used to have an article on how to convert chosen, but it looks like it's lost in the Warp now.

1) I run a WE army, so mine are like normal berserkers, pretty much. A few dudes have bolters (old 2nd edition berserker model bits, marine bolters from AOBR, even a couple shotguns from necromunda "loaded with bolt rounds"), and it gives me somewhere to put my extra aspiring champ figs (dudes with power weapons I don't need in the list, etc).

2) Not really- they are normal dudes with better gear and skills, IMO. A few extra trophies / gear bits / gubbins wouldn't hurt, but as long as they have wysiwyg equipment for what you bought, they could just be normal CSM models. I suppose you could give them different color sholder pads or some such painted detail if you like, like maybe some freehand chaos glyph designs on the armor.

3) Yeah, pretty much. Only reason I'd run a squad (in my WE army) is to get a unit that has some a disposable AC (host for greater deamon) plus weapons upgrades (power weapon / fist) on dudes who won't go poof when the big bad arrives. Then again, that was my main use for them last edition, too. That said, you CAN use them other ways, obviously, and some of those are pretty cool. You just don't get the really extreme custom units you used to be allowed. But that's pretty much the whole codex.

Chains, ammo belts (cut some bolter rounds & add some gs), more spikes, distinctive markings (my chosen are red-handed), battle damage like claw markings etc. Also putting them standing on some rock will make them look more like chosen. They don't need to be warlords, just a bunch of battle hardened special troopers. If you want to represent true chosen with all manner of cc weapons and so on, then I'd make them a retinue for lord and give everyone a claw or fist or master-crafted-looking chainaxe and some nice, distinctive helmet and other gear.

My 50 cents.

Thanks guys.

However, I'm not really sure I'll even use them until we get a new codex. I agree that a lot of things were overpowered in the last, but this one is even worse! However, this one is so bland that it feels like I'm picking out units for a historical game of romans or spartans. (I.e. not many choices...) Hell, evem "Joe & Fred Fighter" from AD&D is cooler... even the Raptors are reduced to SM jump-pack troops without And They Shall Know No Fear. Couldn't them at least have kept either 'hit & run' or '- 1 to opponents leadership in assault'? The Space Marines have two new cool ELITES (I encountered them in my first 3-turn birthday-spanking-game of 5th a few weeks ago) a shooty squad and Assault Marines that can assault after deepstrike and take loads of goodies.

BTWwith TROOPS only scoring, we just hit the jackpot with Plaguemarines and Berzerkers. :o ^_^ So I'm not complaining about the loss of power, only that my beatifully painted (for me, that is) Bloodletters aren't usable with my marines anymore... :(

Sorry, thanks again... if I continue this whole post will be a rant for a rather old codex. (I've been away for a long time...)

Chosen are basically an extra special weapon havoc squad that can infiltrate now, which is kind of sad. I really liked their old incarnation where you could mix terminators and normal chosen, not even because it was all that great but because I thought it really well represented the rag-tag and well, chaotic nature of chaos.

Also you used to be able to make them into some truly brutal HtH units that really made them seem like the elite 10,000 year old troops they are meant to be. I remember once seeing a 600-odd point squad of Slaanesh champions with combat drugs, demonic speed, and power weapons all around, cost effective? No. Fun? Hell yes.

Archived