Wolf Tactics?

mgroenier

first of all, lose the huge green letters, use the normal lines like we all do.

second, there ain't an overal tactic like there is with tyranids.us wolves have very different ways of playing.some go droppodding, some go mechanized,some combine the 2 and even other go hordes with the space wolves.this is something every wolf has to figure out for himself what he likes.

once you've picked a playing style you like you come to the 2nd difference,which uniots do you use and why

for example some droppod player go all the way with wolf guard retinues in TDA, others prefer 3-4 dreadnoughts dropping in

same with the mechanized ones

some prefer an all out rhino/razorback rush while other prefer the landraider crusader of doom list.

from my own experience the wolves are a hard army to master in the begin(hell, i always lost until recently with a list i based upon one dark bjeorn gave me, so DB, thanks mate :lol: ), but once you learn how to use them they rock.

Dark Bjeorn gives out lists now? Hmmm I'm curious as my current army of Crusader with close combat termies and two rhino mounted grey hunter packs with extras don't seem to work.

But yes I agree. There are many ways to play the wolves and different ways suit different players. I've still to find my way but I know that I shall discover it if I meditate and train with my fellow brothers here in the fang.

Here's a tip. If you are going to use a Venerable Dreadnought then I heartily suggest a plasma cannon instead of assault cannon as the range is better and AP2 is fairly nice when combined with a BS of 5.

It's much easier to give you some tactics based on what models you have or want to use in list vs the broad question of what works or are you asking because you want to know what models to buy?

Another way to ask is what brought you to the wolves, what about them or their rules excited you to play them. Some people like the hard as nails close combat ability while others like the drop pod assult rain of terror. Don't count out ranged lists, they can be just as deadly as any space marine.

In the end I encourage you to search the Fang and discover the abundant treasures of wisdom already posted regarding tactics, first purchases and the like. But know here in the Fang there is always someone willing to share their experience and stories of lore. So grab a seat, a stein and let the ale pour forth while you search for knowledge and gain wisdom.

WG Vrox

I am new to playing with the Sons of Russ and I was wondering what tactics are good to use? What works? What doesn't? How would you employ them against Black Templars(army I have never fought at all) and others?

Welcome to the Fang young wolf. Have a pint, sit down and listen to our wisdom.......

As Hendrik said, there is no one way of playing Wolves that works best. You can be armoured , drop pod, fottslogging, mechanized or any other mixture of tactics. It depends on what models and what style of play suits the player. Thats the beauty of Wolves! Rather than being restricted, like other armies in their use (IE Nidz) to a few tactics, Wolves can take on most other armies and come off victorious. However, generally, a Space Wolf army works best when you can get up close. Now, most people often mistake us for a hardcore "We'se gonna charge you and slaughter you, but woe betide us if you charge us" army, like Templars are. We are a close quaters army. The difference is slight, but significant. Basically, whereas Orks and Black templars are all about the charge, SW players should get in close, rapid fire the enemy with their bolters and plasma, and depending on the turn, either charge or be charged. Now, with things like Wolf Pelts, we are often far nastier on the countercharge than the charge. So, a WG with a Wolf Pelt, a power weapon and stormbolter gets only 3 attacks on the charge (2 basic, 1 for the charge). However, on the countercharge, the same person gets 4 attacks (2 basic, 1 for wolf pelt and 1 for counterattack). See? Close Quarters is what its all about im my opinion.

Now, against Black Templars, I have some experience. It would be far easier to see a list of what you have before I advise you, but Ill give you some basic advice.

1) Black Templars rely on getting close to use their full power, and lack long range fire support. Do not be afraid to set up at the back, and rain shots on him all the way as he tries to advance on your lines, then counterattack when he tries to strike. Long Fangs could justify their points at about 1500, where they could have Lascannons to knock out tanks, and plasma for men.

2) Target priority- This must be repeated, constantly. Kill what will win him the game. There is an excellent librarium article on it here - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...showarticle=440 called Killhammer. Remember, that Sword Brethren squad that is running up the middle with the EC and a Chaplain can only kill one squad at a time, and will take a while to get there, while the 2 Rhino's running on the flanks can deliver 20 men who could dent several squads at a time. Prioritise where you put your shots, and make sure that you consider things. Do not panic. Fire Control is a key doctrine of Wolves, where we don't exactly get a high number of high strength shots.

3) Dreadnoughts- Ven Dreads are excellent in my experience. For an army that puts so much on CC, a dreadnought can prove a problem to many squads that don't pack fists or MB's, and since he has little in the way of HS, the dreads have chance of surviving to get there. Ive never ran it, but Ive heard Ironclads with their armour 13 can be a pain to Templars, so that may be a good thing to try out ;) Use them also to eliminate high value targets, like Marshals, LRC's, Chaplains, EC's etc.

4) A brief section on the EC- The Emperor's Champion is a very good character in my books. With the typical anti Marine "Accept any Challenge" vow, combined with the "Slayer of Champions" rule, he can make a pain of a time for a Wolf Lord in Combat. One way to deal with this is to take a Storm Shield and Frostblade/ Thunderhammer, combined with a WTN and typical gear settings.By sheer dint of a better invuln save, you should fell him. However, by placing your Lord in a retinue, he becomes an upgradecharacter, and thus (as far as I understand it) cannot be targeted in combat.

5) If there is a squad with a chaplain in it in charge range of something like, lets say a BC pack, then 9 times out of ten, charge. On the charge, that Squad gets Litanies of Hate, and the Chaplain only has about 3 attacks off.Squads like this also tend to have Furious Assault in my experience. Deny your enemy the charge if it gives you a strategic advantage.

5) Be sensible about what fights you pick. If you assault a 20 man crusader squad with 4 Wolf Scouts, then you have wasted the scouts. Try to pick fights you can win. However, if the doomed charge of a squad of Blood Claws can tie up a a key enemy squad for two turns, then do not be afraid to charge. If the sacrifice of a squad can help you get into position to win, then do so (besides, it gives the Wolves concerned a chance to prove themselves before the Allfather and Russ ;) )

All in all, do what is best to achieve victory.

http://www.mindspring.com/~rhanlav/GUIDE13.html - This is a guide by another Wolf Lord, Fenrir Sureblade concerning the Wolves. Its not exactly new ( be careful about some of the stuff) but it was the tactica I used when I started, and was very useful for me.

Hope Ive been useful, and not just wasted half an hour of my time ;)

Bjorn

well black templars can also take a vow that makes them move 6" towards the unit that shot at in during your turn

how about an obel sniper squad now?forcing them to move backwards?i'dd say that could ruin any black templars day

well black templars can also take a vow that makes them move 6" towards the unit that shot at in during your turn

how about an obel sniper squad now?forcing them to move backwards?i'dd say that could ruin any black templars day

That is true but doesn't the rules say "up to" and not "must". I see that as they can chose to only move .5inch if they want.

That is true but doesn't the rules say "up to" and not "must". I see that as they can chose to only move .5inch if they want.

Its a special rule called "Righteous Zeal" and as mgroenier has said, its says "up to" not "must" which means that the Templar player does not actualy have to move at all. (I checked through the BT section here)

Archived