What are the best weapons to kill "nids?

rus11870

• 2 weeks later...

TH/SS terminators.

Wound on 3+, no save allowed. You should kill it in 1-2 turns with a squad of those.

I believe that solves your problem. Incidentally, creating a bug with those stats also means it's going to cost about as much as an assault terminator squad (in addition to being slow, because you have to build it out of a Carinfex), so they are the ideal thing to lock one down with.

Likewise, massed plasma or lascannon fire will also do a number on those bugs. A couple rounds of predator annihilator or land raider attention will also slaughter one.

I'd say command squad with 4 plasmaguns could work quite well in annihilating big bugs. Charge next to the mob in razorback to release rapid fire plasma and tada! - you've got ~9% chance to cause at least 5 wounds on T7-W5-2+ Carnifex. (Over 25% to cause at least 4 wounds) ;) Add in your captain (or mine) with plasma pistol and the chance to kill it right there grow quite nicely.

Of course, you might lose one or two marines because of Gets Hot!, but at least there's apothecary making the chance little smaller. (~20% chance for at least one wound (~18% for one))

edit: miscalculations... :/

After reading through this forum i noticed everyone is half and half on the sternguard veterans. lets be honest hear im a former Apoc size nids player and anytime those <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>ers were on the field i made sure i took them out first cuz they shredded me horribly and i liked them so much i started playing SM because of it. im telling you they do wonderful against nids with either way. I just wonder why so many people are against them when so many people are for them at the same time. Since ive played SM ive had no less than 15 on the field at a time with Pedro Kantor so they become scoring unitd also. But overall they are a must have if your playing against nids cuz they take out alot of nids in a very short time and then you can worry about all of the MC's on the field and then you got yourself a victory.

- las/plas - as much as you can carry and try to get a good deal on them. You need the high strength, long-range AP2 weaponry in spades. Plas is cheap on dreads, but dreads are MC food generally. I think the hellfire pattern (lascan/missle launcher) could be a good option though. It's good shooty that even GS will have a hard time assaulting. I would put the lascans/plascans in sternguard squads though. That way they're cheap and you need to take sternies against nidzilla anyway. Field all 3 elite slots as sternies if you can. Plasguns are also good in a command squad. I run them in a rhino or razorback with the captain detached in my assaulty units, which is usually...

- Take pedro - you won't miss combat tactics against bugs and making your sternguard score is really great since you will be taking a lot.

- TH/SS termies in a land raider crusader if you have elite slots lef... if not a vanguard squad, no jump packs, with a relic blade and some number of PW/PF. LRC is a must have. Get it... love it... put things in it that kill at the beginning then put things in that score later.

- take rhinos for EVERYTHING - Most nid units have a hard time even cracking rhino armor. Razorbacks work too. If you do this, his dakka fexes will spend a lot of time doing nothing while you zoom around the board taking shots from the fire points (especially sternguard/plasgun command squad). Use the mobility to focus fire because he is going to outnumber you at any point size.

- dev squads are an option. If so, take missle launchers. Make sure you have enough lascans (8 or more if possible... seriously) elsewhere though. ML are NOT as good as lascans because some nasty bugs have 2+ armor saves. I would rather take whirlwinds and dakka preds for my heavy choices though as they kill every bug well and are cheap-cheap at 85 points each.

most some nasty bugs, MOST nasty bugs (tyrant, fex, zoanthrope, yeah zoanthrops can put the hurt on marines, ap3 blast weapon). Anyway my advice is plasma canons, you can throw them at the hoards or the big nasties with equil effect. Las is better than plas against tanks, Nids dont feild tanks, therefore plas is you freind. On the whirlwind/dakapred front, just be aware that just about any bug that touches a 10R tank will kill it, even guants will probly glance it to death, but lictors (which can come from any peice of terain) and geanstealers (fleeting and outflanking, oh my) can come from nowhere pop your tank.

yeah plascan good too, but I don't think it's as simple as las is for tank and plas is for flesh. Las has 48" range, doesn't get hot. Scatter can be a plus or a minus so it's a wash, but plas is MUCH cheaper in dev squads than las for some reason, so that's a good place for them. Las is much closer in tac and stern squads though so I think it is a bargain there. Let's say split the difference... take half of each fora while and see which you like better in the long run. My guess is having the balance is of utility all its own.

Yeah, watch out for rear 10 armor, but the rhinos still stand a good chance, especially if they stay mobile because they can make units have to hit on 4+ or even 6+ if you don't shoot. I can't recommend this enough. I know rhinos seem boring and that anything can get through their armor, but if you really commit to it, take a land raider and other dakka armor like vindies, WW's, and or preds, then the rhinos will never seem like a good target and the dakka fexes will be frustrated while you have time to thin him out. Use mobility to divide his forces and concentrate your firepower on one thing at a time if possible. Before you know it, he will have fewer or even no synapse creatures if you're lucky, and it will become more of an even match... and in an even match marines win.

Archived