Trying to flesh out DiY chapter...

krysis

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I'm hoping to bounce around some ideas and get some inspiration. I'm working on putting together a DiY chapter of marines. They're going to pretty much be vanilla and all I've got so far is a name, color scheme and general idea of where they come from. The chapter name will be "The Ruiners". I envision them as being based off of a rocky, desert type planet. Other than that and a color scheme - I've got nothing, no fluff and most importantly - no chapter symbol! When I think of the name "Ruiners" I just draw a blank symbol-wise. I've thought of maybe something kinda of deserty for a symbol, but scorpions are all I come up with in that sense. If anyone has any input, ideas, criticisms - I'd love to hear them!

sm.php?bpe=403D35&bpj=403D35&bp=403D35&bpc=403D35&hdt=FFCF57&hdm=FFCF57&hdl=FFCF57&ey=ED1515&er=FFCF57π=403D35&nk=FFCF57&ch=FFCF57&eg=FFCF57&sk=BDBDBD&abs=FFCF57&bt=403D35&cod=FFCF57&ull=403D35&lk=403D35&lll=403D35&lft=403D35&url=403D35&rk=403D35&lrl=403D35&rft=403D35&slt=403D35&sli=FFCF57&srt=403D35&sri=FFCF57&ula=FFCF57&lel=FFCF57&lla=FFCF57&lw=FFCF57&lh=FFCF57&ura=FFCF57&rel=FFCF57&rla=FFCF57&rw=FFCF57&rh=FFCF57&bg=FFFFFF&rb=403D35&gr=403D35&

Actually, I believe I've already changed the name of the chapter and thereby came up with a symbol.

The Warthogs

I'm not sure how this escaped me before since they happen to be one of my favorite animals and they'll go great with a desert theme!

Don't get me wrong, I love the name Ruiners, but I just don't think it quite goes with the desert theme I'm looking for. I'm envisioning something more like the WWII Africa campaign army-wise. I think Warthogs fits much better in that sense. I also changed the color scheme around a bit - thinking of going for something more like this:

http://www.shanecase.com/warthogs/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/varmarine03.jpg

You could pinch that old ork logo, you knwo the one with a side view of a grinning skull wearing goggles with flames trailing behind it....

That would work for both names I think.

thats a same to hear, Runiers has got to be one of the best DiY chapter names i've ever heard...still, the scheme is great :tu:

i personally like both schemes alot, you could include both as mixtures :)

will you be doing a test mini or two soon? i'd love to see one painted :o

<<Damascus>>

Have you ever lived in a Desert? Scorching heat, sand storms, dry rot - thing become ruined very quickly in the desert. I like Ruiners better for the chapter name as well. I was actually going to call one of my DIY the Warthogs, but it just didn't seem to work for them. (So I renamed them to the Falcons of Kiavahr). You could use something like this for your symbol:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/AngryJohnnyWH40K/Pilar.jpg

If you really like Warthogs, here are some images you can use for them:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/AngryJohnnyWH40K/DIY%20-%20Sons%20of%20Derryth/SoD_Character_01.jpghttp://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/AngryJohnnyWH40K/DIY%20-%20Sons%20of%20Derryth/SoD_Squad_05.jpghttp://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/AngryJohnnyWH40K/DIY%20-%20Sons%20of%20Derryth/SoD_Squad_06.jpg

I would do a building with a mushroom cloud in the backround.

now thats a cool idea :cuss

to be honest, krysis its still your army and you can pick what you want if your conflicted

and, not to pressure you into picking one or the other, but:

'RUINERS' IS MADE OF WIN

had to be said :blush: its got more potential - both fluff and modelling-wise

best of luck with 'em :angry:

<<Damascus>>

AngryJohnny, You read my mind with that broken column for the Ruiners - that's one of the symbol ideas I was just running past my friend. I love those Warthog images too! I actually lived in the Mojave desert for about 10 years - I'm well aware of the ruining capability it has :blush:

Ok, so it looks like it will be the Ruiners. And I just may be stealing that column as a logo if you don't mind, AngryJohnny...

AngryJohnny, You read my mind with that broken column for the Ruiners - that's one of the symbol ideas I was just running past my friend. I love those Warthog images too! I actually lived in the Mojave desert for about 10 years - I'm well aware of the ruining capability it has :cuss

Ok, so it looks like it will be the Ruiners. And I just may be stealing that column as a logo if you don't mind, AngryJohnny...

Of course I don't mind, that's why I posted them... ;)

For Ruiner's the first thing that came to my mind was a hammer symbol... a black hammer on deserty shoulderpads would be simple, able to do freehand easily if you wanted, and there are numerous images on the web (I didn't look yet though).

Anyway, whichever you choose, good luck to starting this army!

If they are desert based, you could also go the way of a slight Egyptian theme - give them an Anhk symbol. Could still work with Ruiners. Though I do like the column.

As for Warthog, I kinda think they look more like a Puma....

The Ankh is the symbol of life dude. Doesn't fit. :(

-Skullz

Hey

Hmmm...both names are cool but i have to say i also prefer Ruiners.An idea for the symbol (for banners and stuff,too detailed for shoulders) Could be the same broken pillar AngryJohhny posted,but with maybe a vulture perched on it or a few skulls scattered around.I think it would be cool because a desert can bring death easily,and vultures are scavengers,waiting for creatures to die before swarming around them.

Just a thought,hope it helped :(

If they are desert based, you could also go the way of a slight Egyptian theme - give them an Anhk symbol. Could still work with Ruiners. Though I do like the column.

As for Warthog, I kinda think they look more like a Puma....

Did i just spot a red vs blue reference?? :D

From

The Red Dragon

The holidays were way too hectic and I'm just getting caught up on things I've missed around here since the 19th.

Not real keen on either name but of the two, Ruiners has a slightly better 40K feel. The broken column image would then make a very sharp chapter symbol. And, finally, the second scheme you have is sweet. Regardless of which name you end up with, this will be a very sharp looking army.

Ruiner doesn't do it for me. Ruinous sounds cooler to me- the Ruinous- but then again we call the Chaos Gods the Ruinous Powers, so you might get some confusion there. Bringers of Ruin? Lords of Ruination? I dunno.

For a symbol for those, rubble might work, and it's distinctive. But I'd probably go for a split or on-fire skull (GRIMDARKMOAR, though). Maybe just a weapon that brings ruin- a mace might be appropriate. Neither of these are particularly desert-worthy, though. Sun-bleached cattle skull?

Warthogs doesn't do it for me either, but there aren't many good, epic, 'knightly' pig-related names. I'd probably go for something with boars or razorbacks myself. War Boars? Razorbacks?

Symbol's obvious- a nasty charging wild pig!

I've pretty much nailed it down to being Ruiners and using the broken column as a chapter symbol. Hopefully I'll have a test marine painted up sometime soon - it's been years since I've played or painted anything up so I need to buy all new paints and all that good stuff...

So as I move on to the planning of the models phase I'm looking for conversion ideas. My bikes will be converted to quads and buggies obviously. Any ideas on other desert-ish type conversions? Or conversions befitting a chapter with a name like the Ruiners that prides itself in hard hitting heavy attacks?

Warthogs would work... except aren't they in more jungle type areas?

Anywho, both schemes are great, though I lean to the first, have you tried doing it half and half vertically?....

I don't like Ruiners per se.... it's too soft.... but use Ruin.... that's cool... so play off of that, like [Home planet name]'s Ruin, Emperor's Ruin, Hand of Ruin, Angels of Ruin..... ok... I may need to use that last one for myself :D Angelos Averto.

For a symbol... do the silhouette of a ruined building or...... oh... a cracked fist? Or mabye a skull face, except one half of it is a mushroom cloud?

Don't be too constrained by the name... write a small back story with no regard for a name.... let your pen flow. Then think of a CONCEPT that adheres to their origins. Then derive the name from the concept.

Here's a conversion idea.... if you are planning on doing buggies/ quads, budget must no be TOO huge of a concern.... what about scouts on horses for assault marines? buy scout bikers for the convenient leg poses and extra bikes needed to quad, then some WHFB horses?

Cheers

Archived