Stupid Quiestion probably ...

Sqwerty

OK so I'm Reading My codex (witch hunters) and I notice under the cost for most of the Adepta Sororitas have a cost (SoB's costing 11pts etc etc) BUT!

the sister superior, there's no cost for her? is she free or is she just paid for as another Sister? The squad size is written to be "sister superior and 9-19 Battle Sister's" ( in their case ).

Opinions please :D

The sister superior is, in all ways, a normal sister of battle. I think she can swap her bolter for a pistol and CCW, but that's it. She costs what a normal sister costs, and doesn't need to be modeled any differently if you don't want to.

Upgrading to a veteran superior costs the amount listed in the unit description, and means she gains the statline bonuses listed as well as access to the armoury. She needs to be modeled according to the weapon upgrades you give her.

It doesn't come out and say it, but its GW, reading between the lines is sometimes needed. Since there is no statline for a "sister superior" but each squad has one, i would assume the default stats are used.

Not to threadjack but are targeters still legal for SoB? If so does giving your veteran superior one really let you measure for the whole squad or just the equipped model?

also whoo first post!

A Sister superior is a normal battle sister in all respects minus the option for swapping her bolter for a bolt pistol and a CC weapon. So she costs 11 points +14 points to upgrade her to a vet superior. ( model + up grade + wargear )

Aidoneus: But where does it SAY that? Perhaps I'm just a bit too exhausted from watching my sister's brats all day, but I don't see it...

the codex states that a sister superior may be upgraded to a vet. superior for +14 points. The " + " implies that you would be adding the 14 to the original point cost of the model, Otherwise it would just say " 14 ". Once again the formula is ( model + upgrade + wargear )

Cool cheers Fellas,

Another thing i noticed is celestians are just SoB's with an extra special rule and an extra weapon skill and smaller sized squads,

Any 1 else think that just taking an extra battle sister squad over celestians is a better idea?

Suppose the opinion to take an extra immolater as a transport is useful....

Celestians are +2 points, for Holy Hatred, WS4, I4. And ues, usually taking normal Battle Sisters is better, but I find they work just fine for giving more ablative wounds to the Canoness (yay retinue rules!)

Celestians are +2 points, for Holy Hatred, WS4, I4. And ues, usually taking normal Battle Sisters is better, but I find they work just fine for giving more ablative wounds to the Canoness (yay retinue rules!)

Agreed 100%. I used to intend to painting up a full Celestian squad, but since 5th ed. made only Troops 'scoring' units I've shelved the idea, except for maybe a small ad-hoc "honor guard" like Mel suggests if I run a non-jumpy Canoness (which I'm still undecided about as well). The stuff you get isn't bad for +2 points, but regular Sister squads seem more broadly useful.

I think the question that you should really consider is, is there ever a situation where you wouldn't pay the extra points for a VSS over a standard SS? Personally I think not as the unit only becomes faithfull with the addition of the Vet and we all know that the sisters effectiveness lives and dies with their ability to employ acts of faith. The extra points are well worth the cost.

In respect to targeters? Sisters do not have access to targeters. They are listed in armoury but not in the wargear list as they are used by either in an inquisitorial retinue or IST's.

Celestians is one example where I might not. They stand to gain one attack, but it costs ten points to get it.

Yeah I'd agree to a certain extent with you but for standard battle sister squad? I'd have to say that an SoB force without VSS' in squads is lacking the vital element that makes the SoB's work. Games are won and lost for sisters on acts of faith and with no vets, there's no faith to had.

OK I'm getting the hang of this now ;)

Next stupid question ;)

Celestine the living nutcase ....

Fearless! (passes all morale checks or pinning tests etc etc ),

Miraculous intervention .... Roll an unmodified leadership test ( meaning its not reduced due to losing combat etc right?) to see if she snuffs it,

But wait!? shes fearless!!! surely she passes said test automatically?

some more opinions please :)

No not at all, fearless means you pass morale and pinning tests.... now look closely, when checking for morale and pinning,you make a leadership test. Its not quite the same thing.

Miraculous intervention .... Roll an unmodified leadership test ( meaning its not reduced due to losing combat etc right?) to see if she snuffs it,

But wait!? shes fearless!!! surely she passes said test automatically?

Basically, there are three basic consecutive steps for judges interpreting English Law that can be applied equally to us interpreting GW rules. You are supposed to proceed strictly by the numbered rules. If a rule works by RAW, and doesn't produce an absurdity, you have to live with it, you cannot choose to move to Step Two:

Step 1: The Literal Rule. RAW, unless this produces an absurdity, like having an unkillable character.

Step 2: The Golden Rule. What did the designers intend the words to mean? So in this case, did they intend Fearless to apply to Miraculous Intervention? This one is tricky, as you are still bound by the wording of RAW, you cannot introduce words that were not originally there. All you can do is choose which one of the multiple meanings of the written rule makes most sense. Its not simple RAI. If this still produces an absurdity, move to Step Three.

Step 3: The Mischief Rule. Is the interpretation allowing the abuse it was designed to prevent? So, say that the rule says Greater Daemons are 0-1 selections for a Tyranid Army. The rule was intended to apply to the Chaos list, and not to the Tyranid list.

Not particularly simple, and it requires some debate, but it does work.

Fair nuff - i haven't actually used her yet so I've no idea how unkillable she is.

appreciate the input tho ;) even tho the last post was a little confusing :P

I'll keep bunging my stupid questions in so feel free to point and laugh at me all you like <_<

Archived