The blood flows for Redmaw's company

Wolf89

Well I've been quite busy, but now I have the time to tell the tale of my recent tournament with Redmaw's company. Bare with my method on this one, I wanted to try something different, and watching AVP while trying to write this didn't help much, thanks for your time.

Game 1:Tyranids

Turn 1:The Tyranids are many, we are few, hardly seems fair... maybe we should give them a running start...

The Tyranids advance, shooting in the night is difficult and Redmaw's men see no casualties. The whirl of engines signal the advance of the inevitable bloodbath about to commence.

The Rhinos unload their deadly cargo in the heart of the beast, unleashing bolter hellfire decimating all the gaunts they could smell. The vindicators weren't as fortunate, the night was thick, and a strong wind prevented their crew to detect any bugs about. The land speeders took aim at hive tyrant with her guard, and along with the rune priest's squad, they eliminate her retinue and take 2 wounds off her.

Turn 2:Lictor on my left, Lictor on my right... which can I get to faster...

The Tyranids managed to destroy Redmaw's Rhino, but foolishly charged his squad shortly after taking heavy casualties on themselves. They also planned on outflanking Redmaw's position with two Lictors... he however, had other plans... The Whirlwind with the combined efforts of both vindicators manage to eliminate the zoanthropes along with keeping the genestealers hiding for cover in a pinned position. The land speeders take out the Lictors and Redmaw with the help of Rune Priest Oliff and their squads defeat the hive tyrant.

Turn 3:Haha! Look at them Redmaw, they come now in even more numbers to feel our fangs once more!... Then I shall ready my frost axe brother Oliff, and let us hope the shorter in tooth don't finish them off before we get into the fray.

Gaunts flooding into the table once more begin firing and assaulting but to no avail. The rest of Redmaw's army finishes off the rest of the bugs and they retreat back to the holes they crawled out of.

Space Wolves: 48

Tyranids: 10

Game 2:Space Marines lead by Lysander

Turn 1:The chaos taint must have gotten to our battle brothers... Lysander himself couldn't even resist it...

The enemy's Land Raider plowed forward taking shots at Redmaw's Rhino, but the terrain was in his favor allowing cover from all incoming fire. Redmaw wasn't quite so forgiving however, his army roared forward, using his rhinos with smoke to cover the rest of his tanks before he'd unleash them on the tainted marines.

Turn 2:Their scouts aren't anything like our's Redmaw, they make too much noise...

The tainted marines attempted to again annihilate Redmaw's armored front but to no success. Redmaw's vindicators battered the land raider spilling out the cargo of Lysander accompanied with his fellow terminators, while the other destroyed the enemy's vindicator. The Rhinos unloaded unleashing plasma and bolter fire into the scouts and tactical squads spread across the board.

Turn 3:Foolish Lysander, the bite of my frost axe will help ease your pain...

Lysander's men hurled themselves at the wolves for one last attempt, taking down a few wolves and destroying a vindicator's weapon. The Wolves hurl themselves forward being lead by Redmaw himself on the tainted Lysander and his followers, leaving nothing but a bloody corpse carrying dorn's fist and a frost axe in the back.

Turn 4:We must cleanse the rest of them, none can be left, lest they dishonor their chapter any longer...

Redmaw generously takes the rest of the lives of the marines to eradicate any taint that might have occurred, the cost only a few wolf brethren and some damage to a vindicator.

Space Wolves: 48

Space Marines: 10

Game 3: Sisters of Battle

Turn 1:The sister's must suspect us of being tainted after our run-in with Lysander's army... the curse is overwhelming me and my men, we cannot let our secret be revealed

Redmaw's irrational headstrong tactics doesn't throw the sisters off guard. Instead, they hit back with hails of Exorcist fire with frontal assaults from five rhinos with seraphim guard. A vindicator is lost, but the wolves keep going on.

Turn 2:The smoke is so thick, these witches and their trickery...

The wolves try as hard as they can to destroy the mass of rhinos, but manage to only immobilize one thanks to smoke launchers. The sisters aren't effected at all, they gladly return the favor, destroying a vidicator, as well as a rhino carrying Redmaw himself.

Turn 3:The curse, they cannot find out...

Redmaw lunges forward smashing his way through wreckage to get to the sisters destroying whatever he could, however, for every sister that fell, it seemed that there were 5 more in it's place. Now out in the open, the sister's steadied their bolters, and with guiding faith, Redmaw fell to the ground with his men.

Turn 4:Oliff saw a vision, can he yet save his wolf brethren...

Oliff along with his squad and the assistance of a vindicator manage to drive a few sisters back, and the speeders finally take out the Exorcists. However the damage is great, and the seraphim are closing in, not to mention their faith seems never ending.

Turn 5:Slip into the night, undetected, and unharmed...

Oliff calls a tactical retreat to achieve higher ground, he doesn't want any more of the inquisition snooping in and sending in troops, so he hides his tracks in the wreckage of the rhinos and slips off into the night. Loosing all but a few squads and a whirlwind.

Space Wolves: 5

Sisters of Battle: 15

I ended up taking 2nd place, the sister's player taking first. I was first place after the first and second game having perfect games, then my luck ran out. I had a great time, the wolves worked quite well. I have a really nice tactic I use with my list, and if I used the same tactic I used for the first two games, I would have won the third, but constant disruptions, and lack of time lead for some bad tactical errors. I just wanted to share with you guys my latest Lord's fights in a different way than usual. I didn't really like it, so future ones will be my standard rambling on with dice rolls and such.

Thanks for reading.

I used my 1750 list with a few wargear modifications and that was it. The wall of armor using my rhinos to block the sides of my vindicators just right to either block all LoS, or just enough to shoot in front and casting stormcaller on whatever wasn't perfectly in cover.

The speeders did best separated, as soon as I combined them they failed me miserably.

My rolls weren't amazing, I just limited the amount of rolling I needed, keeping my men inside my Rhinos until the very last moment was key, as soon as I brought them out early (against the sisters) they were mowed down. In the end, it was really the objectives that I focused on, and it won me my first two games because I had a moving wall of death that just went towards the objective asap and there was nothing that could stop it.

The Tyranid player's set-up was all over the place, I denied the flank by putting my whole army in a 12"x18" cube or smaller and just decimated 500-700 pts of Tyranids with my whole 1750 army then angled over to finish the rest before claiming the objective and game over. Granted his one Zoanthrope rolled 5 6's in a roll making all his invulnerables... he eventually died at the hands of my wolf priest in combat.

The Space Marine player's range judgment was off, his vindicator and other shorter ranged weaponry was always out of range by 3-6", his worst judgment was with his scouts that he thought was out of 48" of my whirlwind, but it was about 42-44" away and I killed the whole squad. Yes my scatter dice that game scattered a lot, but it was such low rolling that it was almost always a direct hit, and rolling 2D6 pick the highest for AP was fun considering I roll box cars for the land raider and then a 5. He had to waste a lot of shooting on just one speeder at a time instead of one squad being able to take out all 3 if they were in a squad. The chooser helped also keep his scouts at bay instead of letting a missile launcher get close to the sides or backs of my vehicles.

The sister's player had all the luck last game, I finished off my other opponents early on and got into combat as quickly as I could. Against the sisters, I had one combat, and it was against 2 seraphim that had just nuked a vindicator on the charge (damn eviscerators (sp?)). That game he just had the smoke working for him the whole game (5 rhinos, popping smoke on only 1 or two and obscuring the rest...) while I used all my smoke and never rolled a 4+.

Essentially this was a common deployment for me, using two rhinos on the sides with the vindi's in the middle then using another rhino (usually lord's) in the front or near by to get into the front early on. I can't quite show it here, but I tried, I'd angle my side rhinos to completely block off my vindi's, then on my turn leave a gap (obviously after moving 6" for everything, possibly more for the rhinos to get the adequate movement I wanted, especially when I was about to get charged I wanted that 6.5"+ movement) then after stormcaller and smoke, it was nigh impossible to do anything to my vindicators against my opponents. (ignore the dots and try to picture the [] as rhinos and the {} as vindi's)

........ ____

___ [____]..... ___

[__] ___.___..[__]

[__]{__}{__}[__]

......{__}{__}

Overall, my first two games my rolling was average, and my opponent's didn't know exactly what to make of my army as the one never faced space wolves, and the other never faced mech wolves (used to drop pods he said). The sister's player and I go way back (remember that ard boyz fiasco costing me first place with his one sister contesting the objective? yea him), so he knew what to expect, and I wasn't fresh against him and make some dumb moves that he exploited.

I could elaborate more, but I think I answered the questions without going into too much detail into the battles themselves with dice rolling and how my scatters went. ;)

-edited-

I forgot to also mention shooting from the tops of the rhinos with plasma and melta goodness was hard on the opponents, as well as tank shocking off objectives and whatnot. I placed my vehicles perfectly to make units like gaunts for example need to move around the rhino and some terrain, or try to blow up the rhino and go that route. The rhinos add so much to the game, they really helped, don't think that I just used them as movable walls, they can also break units and move stuff around. :drool:

Archived