A question for those who run outflanking scouts.

tedwin183

Alright, so I have finally built my 50/50 hybrid squad of cc scouts. Half are shotguns, half are bp/ccw. It seems flexible and the best middle ground between all shottys and all bp/ccw. Decent amount of shots before the charge to combat high I and tough foes and plenty of attacks to overwhelm whatever is left over after shooting. My real question is: Does anyone run their outflanking scout serg with either a power weapon or a power fist? I figure the PF could add some last minute surprise tank/MC smashing ability that the opponent wasn't counting on. Anyone do this? Or is it just better to run a straight, cheap 50/50 squad?

I run a 5 man scout squad with shotguns, and a sarge with a combi flamer and power weapon loaded into a Storm w/Heavy Flamer. I use the outflank to try and shoot/assault my enemies more shooty units. They work great against against high intiative low toughness models hidden in the back field. They are even useful against large hordes or Lootas, the shotguns and templates work wonders against those Lootas.

I was just thinking it may be good to get some last minute MC destruction if I needed it. Melta bombs would be good and cheaper, but would only affect if I went after vehicles. I'll likely keep this squad bare bones the way it is. I like it because it's cheap and I don't really care if the whole squad gets wiped, as long as they tie the enemy up/soften them a bit.

I keep linking my tactica into these scout threads, but i think apart from being a good read it shows some excellent points.

Most notably that scouts arent a lot cheaper than regular marines, if you start upgrading them with power fists and what-not, you will soon find yourself outnumbered by a superior enemy.

Scouts are best used minimalistically (spelling???), use meltabombs instead of other anti-tank, dont give them camo cloaks unless you have too.

In my scout list at 1500 points i have no power fists and only Telions sniper unit has cloaks.

Against MC's id rather shoot a unit of snipers at it, than risk a whole scout squad on the hopes that the power fist may get him!

GC08

Archived