multiple inquisitors

panbient

Of course you can. If you want fluff, say its a cell of Inquisitors temporarily come together to help each other hunt down a particular target.

Gamewise I suspect not many ever take more than one because there is a lot of competition for the Elites slots in the DH/WH lists. Inquisitor Lords seem to appear more frequently in pure DH or WH lists by my experience though.

It is just that, often, lists that are posted on this forum, are take-all lists, where you want access to movement, shooting and fighting because you don't what opponent you will play.

Including 2 or 3 or more Inq with their shooty retinue, whilst making it a very good shooting army, makes for a weaker close combat army. Remember that the more elites you have, the less points you have for core troops, and less core troops which could be a disadvantage.

Including many shooty Inq also makes for a one-dimensional army, which is less fun to play with and against.

Finally, having played Tau myself and played against with the DH, you might want to reconsider the shooting match against Tau.

They are very good at it.

witch hunters, 4 inquisitors :) mass plasma and HB, maybe even a Multi Melta :tu:, I think fluff wise that makes perfect sense. Bring in a ton of arbites, along with two landraiders that will mount your Lords :o I think this would be a fairly ballanced list, if taken with say 3 penitent engine and 2 exorcists, or if yuou wanna cheeze it out bring three exorcists....

2 landraiders, 3 penitent engines, and mount up your arbites (if you want) along with 4 ranged reutines :)

Take five inquisitors. One of them, an allied IL from the other codex.

Either that or one of the Inq Lord special characters, which don't count towards the 0-1 IL limit.

But yeah, it's not very effective. The only time I'd ever take more than 1 would be for purely fluff reasons. I've toyed around with lists that use only Inquisitorial units, or only those and inducted IG, to represent an Inquisitor Lord's personal bodyguard force. Gives you access to fun stuff like Daemonhosts, which can help balance your army towards CC.

If you want effective though, there are just way better ways to spend your points.

Ordo Hereticus (WH) Inquisitors can fill a close combat role fairly well, with the right retinue setups. The only problem is most of this is at strength 3, but its also a lot of power weapon spam, which helps immensely.

Inquisitors don't have to be shooty :rolleyes:

Inquisitors don't have to be shooty :rolleyes:

Had a friend who used to play WH and ran a tooled-up CC Inq Lord. I loved seeing it across the field from me, because I knew it was so easy to kill. B) The problem is that they're not only S3, they're also T3, I3, and 6+ or 4+ saves. They just die!

Now, if you really wanted to play a fluffy Inquisitor-coven army, you're not going to have any other options, so they get a little bit more attractive. You could take one WH Inq Lord and Coteaz in CC roles, and then 2 shooty DH inquisitors (save one E slot for 3 Daemonhosts). Maybe throw 'em in Land Raiders. One orbital barrage, couple squad of storm troopers, some inducted guard, and an inducted leman russ to fill out the list. Could be halfway-decent for friendly games.

i normally play WH so i was thinking more in line with a CC inq lord and a few HB/PC vanilla inq firebases. maybe use a double HB chimera as a transport for the IL, and small stormtrooper squads to fill out the troop roles.

after all, this is a basement list, not a tournament list hehehe

Had a friend who used to play WH and ran a tooled-up CC Inq Lord. I loved seeing it across the field from me, because I knew it was so easy to kill. :D The problem is that they're not only S3, they're also T3, I3, and 6+ or 4+ saves. They just die!

I've had a lot of luck with mine.. I do run it with a Land Raider transport, and often tag team things with an assist from a Seraphim unit or Death Cult Assassins. While the retinue does take a pounding, usually the Inquisitor Lady is always left alive at the end of the game, and she's init 5 with digital weapons, so she gets a decent number of very high initiative attacks, with either a Force Weapon or His Will Be Done. The Chiurgeons help a lot, as do ablative wounds or invulnerable saves.

I don't think it's a "charge it into anything and watch it dissappear in a red mist" like say, Death Company with attached Apothecary or Chaplain... but it does remarkably well. It's definately a viable option that most people don't remember they have, as they are so used to the mantra "Inquisitors have to be shooty." It's also a lot of fun, has glorious looking models (let's be honest, who Doesn't like the Crusader models?), gets lots of attention from people that have never seen an Inquisitor with Retinue, and throws a wrench in people's plans as they just don't know what it's capable of. It's a great sleeper unit... everyone knows to fear Seraphim, or Assassins, or Arco-Flagellants, but they aren't aware of an Inquisitor with Retinue.

Now, if you really wanted to play a fluffy Inquisitor-coven army, you're not going to have any other options, so they get a little bit more attractive. You could take one WH Inq Lord and Coteaz in CC roles, and then 2 shooty DH inquisitors (save one E slot for 3 Daemonhosts).

Coteaz can't be included in a army with Daemonhosts.

Now, if you really wanted to play a fluffy Inquisitor-coven army, you're not going to have any other options, so they get a little bit more attractive. You could take one WH Inq Lord and Coteaz in CC roles, and then 2 shooty DH inquisitors (save one E slot for 3 Daemonhosts).

Coteaz can't be included in a army with Daemonhosts.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Well, I'd take 3 hosts over coteaz for CC any day. For hilarity as well. Probably wanna just pick up a generic DH Inq Lord for shooty then.

Kinda cheesy, but if you take an Inq from the parent codex, and an allied IL from the other, then you can take two Officio Assassians (One from each codex).

Not true. The assassins have a special note on the side of the page that says you may never have more than one assassin in any force, for any reason, no exceptions, period. It's very clear. Trust me, I've thought of this, and I wish it worked but it just doesn't.

Gamewise I suspect not many ever take more than one because there is a lot of competition for the Elites slots in the DH/WH lists. Inquisitor Lords seem to appear more frequently in pure DH or WH lists by my experience though.

Maybe in DH lists, but in WH lists, not so much so. Repentia are a joke, Celestians are usually only bought as retinue, arcos are expensive (though not too shabby, still unsure if they're worth their price except in large games), and that leaves inquisitors and assassins.

2 Inq Lords, 2 Inqs, and one assassin could do the trick, though you'd be lacking in scoring troops probably.

Maybe in DH lists, but in WH lists, not so much so.

Same here. Daemonhosts are fun, but rare, since you can't have them with Grey Knights. Also, they're an 0-1 choice. GKTs are nice, but you normally don't have more than one squad, and half the time that's an HQ retinue. That leaves inquisitors and assassins.

Do you fill out all your Elites slots every game? I appreciate that if you have the points to take all 3 slots there is far less competition, but in a standard 1500pt game of similar, you will only be taking one, possibly two Elites selections. That was the context of my comment, especially since units like GKTs are so expensive.

Archived