Orbital Bombardment

henrythesecond

Hi guys,

Had a 3k battle yesterday afternoon, SM vs my buddy's BA, in which I debuted my 'counts-as' Pedro Kantor.

When I finally remembered I had an Orbital Bombardment and decided to use it, my buddy brought up the point

that as I'd already fired the Veteran Squad Kantor was with (though Kantor hadn't actually fired due to the range),

I couldn't now use the Orbital Bombardment. Further to this, he enquired that when I do use it, wouldn't I

have to target the same unit with the rest of my squad?

Now as far as the normal shooting rules are concerned, he's correct on both counts, of course. And unfortunately,

I can't read anything in the Orbital Bombardment rules which say you treat it any differently!

What's everyone else's take on this?

Regards.

So the official line is that all of the standard rules regarding shooting and unit inclusion are applicable to Orbital Bombardment?

So unless you want to lose a shooting phase and a movement phase ('cos he can't move and use OB) for the unit

the Chapter Master is with, he has to target a unit with Orbital Bombardment that the rest of his unit can also fire at?

Well slap my thighs and call me Charlie, but that sucks.

So the official line is that all of the standard rules regarding shooting and unit inclusion are applicable to Orbital Bombardment?

So unless you want to lose a shooting phase and a movement phase ('cos he can't move and use OB) for the unit

the Chapter Master is with, he has to target a unit with Orbital Bombardment that the rest of his unit can also fire at?

Well slap my thighs and call me Charlie, but that sucks.

The bombardment mentions specifically it's "a shooting attack fired with the following profile" so just think of it as any old weapon, with the exceptions listed in it.

Yes, it does suck muchly. I had a situation this weekend with Pedro attached to a full 10 man sternguard squad. He called down the bombardment on a unit of guard and killed it all. This meant that the whole squad of sternguard had nothing to shoot at. 18 bolter rounds and 3 h/bolter rounds not able to be used :D

Of course, if you use it early in the game then the rest of the squad is outside optimum firing range, then it can be good... or just detach the commander at the start of the turn so they can fire at different units.. of course thats risking being sniped.... but you can't have it both ways.

Yes, it does suck muchly. I had a situation this weekend with Pedro attached to a full 10 man sternguard squad. He called down the bombardment on a unit of guard and killed it all. This meant that the whole squad of sternguard had nothing to shoot at. 18 bolter rounds and 3 h/bolter rounds not able to be used ;)

This is why attaching Pedro to sternguard is a bad idea. Among other reasons, of course.

Archived